Ube Macapuno Cake

Decorating By SugarBakers05 Updated 22 Aug 2010 , 7:09am by AileenGP

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 10

Has anyone ever made this Phillipino delicacy? I have a friend of mine who'd like me to make this for her. she sent me the recipe, but does anyone out there have any tips on how to make it?

9 replies
lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 10

I'm sorry, I cannot help you with this, but I am interested in the recipe and how it turns out. I'm half Filipino, from my Dad's side, and my Dad LOVES Ube ice-cream, and would probably enjoy this cake.

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 12:12am
post #3 of 10

OH Please, Please, Please.....post this recipe here or PM me with this recipe. I have tried this delicacy and can't quite figure out all the proper ingredients. Also, I was wondering what type of icing will you use on it...if any at all. Some say with some without.

Thank you in advance.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 12:24am
post #4 of 10

Hi!

Would you please send it my way, too?

Thanks -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

SugarBakers05 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 10

This is what I found on Allrecipes.com. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Ube-Macapuno-Cake/Detail.aspx
they say to use buttercream icing, but the user comments suggest they don't like that particular icing recipe. I think the ones we use on CC would be better.

lanibird Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 10

I got over my laziness from the weekend icon_lol.gif and did a search for this cake, and found this alternate recipe:

http://simplyannes.blogspot.com/ (just scroll down a bit)

This one uses whipped cream as opposed to bc.

Now I am really intrigued, and need to find some ube. Not an easy task here in El Paso, I'm sure. icon_lol.gif

SugarBakers05 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for the other recipe Lainbird. I appreciate it, When finally do this cake, i'll post the pics!

lanibird Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:28am
post #8 of 10

I know this is a rather old thread but...

I came across some frozen grated ube while visiting my parents, so I finally was able to make this cake! icon_biggrin.gif I thought I would share, in case any of you were still curious.

I used the Allrecipes recipe linked above. I have nothing to reference it too, but it was a good recipe. The cake was not too sweet, so it was a good platform for the VERY sweet macapuno. I followed the suggestions in the reviews and just made a simple all-butter BC to frost it with.

Next time (and there will be a next time!) I will either bring up my Americolor gel, or triple the food coloring since it came out a very light purple when you follow the recipe.

The macapuno strands are long, so I might put it through the food processor, just to chop them up a bit.

And lastly, my dad and I both agreed, it would go really will with a cream cheese icing.

Anyone else had a chance to make this?
LL

Heartofmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heartofmary Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 4:19am
post #9 of 10

Just came across this forum today and thought it would be nice to share my Ube Macapuno Cake recipe with you all. My recipe can be found here:

http://pinoyinoz.blogspot.com/2010/08/ube-macapuno-cake-recipe.html

And here is a photo of my cake. Looks like Red Ribbon's, doesn't it?

Ube Macapuno Cake (No, it's not from Red Ribbon) by pike.corinne, on Flickr

I've had great success with this recipe and am never going to buy any commercially available ube macapuno cake again! Hope you can all try it and tell me what you think! icon_biggrin.gif

AileenGP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AileenGP Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 7:09am
post #10 of 10

OMG you are a lifesaver!!! I've been trying to find a good ube/macapuno cake recipe..It looks soo good.

Thanks so much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%