Confused Over Silver Color Help!!

Decorating By Charmed Updated 9 Sep 2007 , 4:23am by ceshell

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:11am
post #1 of 4

I am planning to make Bender from futurama and want to make it a nice shinning metallic silver color...

1-Which dust should I use to achieve metallic silver color? luster duts or pearl dust or sparkle dust? Is there a silver pearl dust?

2-Do I color my fondant grey or just leave it white and then dust it with silver dust?
HELP icon_cry.gif

3 replies
bonnebouche Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnebouche Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:20am
post #2 of 4

I would like the answer to this too. I have seen some cakes on CC that have silver on them that I would swear is actual metal.

joelni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joelni Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:21am
post #3 of 4

I recently had the same question, but I was coloring a royal icing crown silver. I didn't need to color my icing grey, just left it white. Then mixed silver luster dust with a little vanilla essence and -painted it on, the silver color came out great.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:23am
post #4 of 4

Luster dust in NuSilver. Mix it with vodka, clear extract (like lemon) or Everclear (best option) and paint it on thinly - be sure to allow to dry first and then paint on another layer - continue until it is as shiny as you want.

By the time you apply several layers of dust paint your original fondant will be completely obscured, but I have found that having a base color like the color I'm going for (grey, for you) helps in case there are spots where I just got it on a little too thin. But as the PP said, it's really not a requirement.

I just posted this elsewhere, but if the only cake supply you need is one little tub of silver dust, I like to use cakeart.us because their shipping for small items is dirt cheap.

Sparkle dust, by the way, is basically just like glitter - it would actually dissolve in water and turn into goop, so don't go near that stuff unless you want to apply a sparkly glitter after you're done.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%