Rubber Stamping On Buttercream?

Decorating By ceme Updated 10 Sep 2007 , 7:17pm by Daisy1

ceme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceme Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 9:11am
post #1 of 24

I'm thinking about using rubber stamps on my crusting buttercream to give it a nice wrapping paper design. Have any of you guys done this? I know it can be done on fondant but I'm wondering about buttercream because I do not want the colors to bleed, run or fade. I was then going to spray with luster spray to give it a nice glossy finish. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

23 replies
miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 9:27am
post #2 of 24

I would think that this could be done, but keep in mind that you might damage the stamp over the long run. The fat in the buttercream would probably start to break down the rubber. (You know that your rubber is starting to break down if it seems to get softer and gets a sticky or tacky surface.) Don't do it with a stamp you love!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 11:03am
post #3 of 24

Heres some fun stamps that I got and they were REALLY cheap.....in the stamping section of the craft store...lots to choose from to!
LL

wgoat5 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 11:04am
post #4 of 24

I think I paid like 2.00 for all of that...and I have recently bought about 30 other pieces and I LOVE them!!!

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 11:59am
post #5 of 24

Sounds like a fun idea but I am always worried do you think the rubber is food safe making contact with the butter cream. I am always a worry wart so I would love to know.
Thanks

wgoat5 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 12:02pm
post #6 of 24

these aren't rubber these are foam

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 12:14pm
post #7 of 24

wgoat5 thank you so much for clearing that up for me, sounds like a fun idea to play around with!

rswals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rswals Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 12:16pm
post #8 of 24

This sounds like a great idea. What are you going to use for "ink"?

wgoat5 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 12:18pm
post #9 of 24

you don't use ink or I guess you can on fondant with the food colors...you make an impression with the stamps then go over them with frosting. You are welcome cupcake!!! icon_biggrin.gif

ceme Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 12:33pm
post #10 of 24

Well the reason I wanted to use a rubber stamp not foam is because I want to stamp the Colored design onto the buttercream. I want a smooth finish and not something you stamp, make an impression then fill it in with more buttercream. For the color I was going to use wilton or americolor watered down with either vodka or clear vanilla extract then paint the stamp with a sponge roller then gently place the stamp on the crusted buttercream. I think this would leave the colored design of the stamp on the cake plus save time because now you do not have to fill in with buttercream. I have a 12" x 18" cake to cover and I would love to know if this would work.

Dana0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana0323 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 12:45pm
post #11 of 24

When you guys try it, please post a pic. I'd love to see it!

wgoat5 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 12:48pm
post #12 of 24

Hmmmm.....if you press very hard at all with the rubber stamp you are going to leave a slight impression, just a forewarning.....you could use a stencil that you could wrap around the crusting bc or fondant then use a foam roller I guess.

ceme Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 1:02pm
post #13 of 24

Thanks wgoat5. The stencil is a good idea. I think I will try it with the stencil and then with the stamp and see which one I like. Really trying to get my buttercream to look like wrapping paper. Thanks thumbs_up.gif

wgoat5 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 1:09pm
post #14 of 24

You are very welcome cant wait to see it!!! Post your tries ok? icon_biggrin.gif

mpitrelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpitrelli Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 2:36pm
post #15 of 24

Another good idea is to use the plain suncatchers that you can paint. They have enough of an indent to add to it. I was doing a beach themed cake and wanted dolphins and other fish added t it. I think I paid like .25 for some of them and they also make a nice impression on fondant.

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 3:56am
post #16 of 24

wgoat5 I've seen the foam stamps how welldo they work? Do you need any particular recipe for the buttercream? Any other tips would be helpful.
Thanks

wgoat5 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 9:52am
post #17 of 24

they work great just make sure your icing has a good crust on it icon_biggrin.gif

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 5:43pm
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

you don't use ink or I guess you can on fondant with the food colors...you make an impression with the stamps then go over them with frosting. You are welcome cupcake!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I have been buying these same stamps, since they are so much cheaper than the rubber stamps. I also bought plain "foamie" stamps and cut them out to make my Louis Vuitton purse....I just painted the stamps with food coloring and stamped it on. The possibilities are endless!

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 6:02pm
post #19 of 24

In "The Ultimate Cake Decorator" by Murfitt and Pickford, they press the rubber stamp in lustre dust and then press onto fondant. It makes an impression that has a luster. Very Pretty. I have not tried it, but I don't know why you couldn't do that in crusted buttercream. It would make it so the rubber is never directly on the buttercream.

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 10:17am
post #20 of 24

What a great idea. I would love to see the pictures.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:14pm
post #21 of 24

There was a thread on this earlier, and someone checked with their extension office. They said some of the mounted rubber ones had an adhesive that shouldn't be used on cakes. The foam ones and UNmounted rubber were said to be just fine to use.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:33pm
post #22 of 24

I like the idea of the foam stamps with writing since my writing can be atrocious! Will someone PM their photo to me (if they make a cake with one!) as I might miss the posted pix. I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!! Great Ideas from Great CC Members Once Again! icon_biggrin.gif

beckyatkinson1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckyatkinson1964 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:36pm
post #23 of 24

Not sure how this would work as I have only done this with scrapbooking...I use the color pens on my stamps as the "ink" and huff on the stamp to keep the ink wet until I am done coloring it. (huffing is where you blow air on the stamp to keep it moist, but huffing like you would on a window when you were a kid to steam it up and write on it). I wonder if it is possible to try this with the food color pens? HTH.

Becky

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:17pm
post #24 of 24

If you are using a rubber stamp mounted to a piece of wood, I think you would need an even and flat area to stamp otherwise, you'll get blank areas. If you have any edible image frosting sheets, you could use airbrush color to ink the stamp, stamp just like paper, then cut up and apply to your cake.

However you decide to do this, please post pics and any information on how this went.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%