Alcohol For A Fruit Cake

Decorating By Dolly_Bird26 Updated 14 Dec 2014 , 12:54am by craftybanana

Dolly_Bird26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolly_Bird26 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:04am
post #1 of 8

I've been asked by my best friend to make her wedding cake for Novemeber 2008, thank goodness I have plenty of time to practice. Her hubby-to-be would like one tier to be fruit cake. As I've only ever made one fruit cake I was wondering what is the best alcohol to use for a rich fruit cake. Would it be Rum, Brandy, Sherry or Port? Any help with this would be great.

Thanks,
Kristy

7 replies
kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 6:59am
post #2 of 8

In the UK people tend to use rum, brandy or whisky (personal preference really), though I have been told that sherry and port may be a bit strong.

HTH

Kelly

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 7:15am
post #3 of 8

I have a recipe for rich fruit cake from 1995 by Jane Asher that contains Drambuie & Whiskey and is the BEST fruit cake I've ever made, and the one I always make for Christmas for us now. If you'd like the recipe, let me know your email address and I'll scan it for you icon_smile.gif. It makes an 8in square or 9in round cake, but I also have a conversion chart that'll let you make different sizes if you need to.

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 7:26am
post #4 of 8

The fruit cake that I make I use Brandy.

Leigh01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leigh01 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 7:27am
post #5 of 8

I have succesfully used Cointreau which gives the cake a lovely citrussy note. Have also seen Vanilla Vodka used - could be interesting.

Dolly_Bird26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolly_Bird26 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 8:06am
post #6 of 8

Thanks for all your replies. Bonjovibabe I'll pm you my email as I'd love to try a different recipe.

Kristy

tweeti0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeti0510 Posted 13 Dec 2014 , 10:22pm
post #7 of 8

I would like to have your recipe for fruitcake.  My email address is [email protected]

Thank you so much.

Victoria

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 14 Dec 2014 , 12:54am
post #8 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweeti0510 

I would like to have your recipe for fruitcake.  My email address is [email protected]

Thank you so much.

Victoria

This thread is very old, better to PM them in case they don't see this. I do know that MBalaska has started a thread that talks only about Fruit Cakes, she has links in there to the recipes http://www.cakecentral.com/t/780876/the-fruit-cake-thread is worth checking out :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%