Cake Club In New Hampshire...

Decorating By kaseynh Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 2:13pm by melli_fera

melli_fera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melli_fera Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:33pm
post #91 of 178

so, what would we do that first day? Meet & Greet? Share photos?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:41pm
post #92 of 178

Meg.. of course you can carpool with me. So long as you don't mind meeting me here since Manch-Vegas is closer to me than you. icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

As for a time.. I am all for not too early.. icon_lol.gif I was thinking around 1-2:00. That will give all of us who are traveling time to get there without having to get up at the ass crack of dawn and then not be on the road later at night too. So we'd be meeting for a late lunch..

So what does everyone want to do when we meet up? The first meeting will be interesting with everyone meeting for the first time. Do we want to do demos and stuff like that? Maybe we can list things that we do and wouldn't mind sharing with everyone? I have NO clue.

I am going to do some PM-ing to let people know what's going on.. hopefully that will bring more ppl out of the woodwork. As soon as I have a head count I'll make that call.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:02pm
post #93 of 178

Jeanne, 1-2:00 sounds good. Thanks for taking on such an undertaking.

I was hoping to learn some of everyones little tricks. You know, things that made that last minute design change work, or even, what happens when your middle layer has a blow out. I would also like some hands on w/someone who does gp flowers at some time I am not good at any of that stuff YET!! icon_redface.gif Maybe even comparing contract info and such.

Just a couple of suggestions.

Thanks
Donna

FromScratch Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:37pm
post #94 of 178

Donna.. I think having little "workshop" type things would be a great idea. Maybe we could all list off somethings we are interested in doing/learning and then people who can help out in those areas can chime in.

I have a bit of experience with gumpaste flowers, though I definitely don't have enough tools to teach a class, but if everyone wanted to learn and wanted to invest in some tools I'd gladly share what I know. I am not an expert by anymeans, but you can peek in my photos for some examples..

I think sharing contract info would be a good idea too.. brainstorming is always fun.

mommicakes Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:44pm
post #95 of 178

icon_surprised.gif Holy cow Jeanne, your flowers are beautiful. The job you done on Katie's Shower cake with that bow, WOW! nice work. Yup, I need a class. Let me know what I should bring, and I will sit in the front row like a good student icon_lol.gif

harmonhouseofraymond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harmonhouseofraymond Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:50pm
post #96 of 178

Jeanne,

Maybe if we get a list together - say you are going to do a demo/teach flowers - you as the teacher would send out a list of tools needed. I know that whatever I do not own I would be happy to purchase so that I could be ready for the 4th. I also love your people figures.

Beth

CristinaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristinaB Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:53pm
post #97 of 178

I'll say! They're gorgeous! I just bought myself a bunch 'o gumpaste tools and stuff. I'd planned to teach myself, but I'm all over a hands-on tutorial! Somewhere around 1 or 2:00 sounds great too by the way! icon_lol.gif

FromScratch Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 5:56pm
post #98 of 178

Sure! I have no problem getting a list of tools together and having a GP flower demo. Let me know what flower(s) you are interested in and I'll see what I can do.

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 6:39pm
post #99 of 178

I would love to learn how to make the Stargazer Lily! icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

harmonhouseofraymond Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 7:04pm
post #100 of 178

I would love to do a Rose - I can do the Duff rose but when I try the cut out kind the but of the rose gets huge - (between me and my rose I am supposed to have the biggest butt)! icon_mad.gif

mommicakes Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 7:05pm
post #101 of 178

Stargazer Lily has my vote for sure. I also would like to know how to make better roses. I am kinda sad I can't do these yet. icon_redface.gif

mommicakes Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 7:07pm
post #102 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonhouseofraymond

I would love to do a Rose - I can do the Duff rose but when I try the cut out kind the but of the rose gets huge - (between me and my rose I am supposed to have the biggest butt)! icon_mad.gif

I thought I had the big butt cornered. icon_lol.gif

harmonhouseofraymond Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 7:34pm
post #103 of 178

OMG!

I have finally found people with the same sort of cake humor as me!

YAHOO!

mommicakes Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 7:57pm
post #104 of 178

Harmonhouseofraymond..

Thats exactly my thinking. I have many many more.

We will have to start a contest in NHCakeClub, to see who has the most embarassing (sp) story for their cake humor. I have been dubbed several different names lovingly from my family. Ones I can't really share here on this thread at this time, but will once we have a meeting. It could make you spit out your drink on the computer. icon_redface.gificon_eek.gif

So everyone out there that is going to attend the NHCakeClub: Assignment for first meeting: think and bring your most humorous story pertaining to you being a "cake maiden". We will compare notes and laughs!!!! icon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

GeorgiaGingerbread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeorgiaGingerbread Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:30am
post #105 of 178

Hello to all! I am still interested in joining your cake club and will keep myself up to date by watching your posts until we make it up north. We plan on living around the Nashua area,so meetings in Manchester sound wonderful and would not be far from where we'll live. Can you tell me why you call it "Manch-Vegas" ?

FromScratch Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 6:19pm
post #106 of 178

LOL.. Manch-Vegas.. I have no idea where it originated.. but there are bumper stickers and all that that say it. I don't know if I'd call Manchester wonderful though.. there has been a lot of crime in our little city as of late. Not all parts are like that, but it's becoming more rampant. A lot of people from Lawrence and Lowell, MA have been coming up here and bringing their gangs and what-not with them. Nashua is nice though.

Please feel free to contribute and all and it'll be great to meet you when you make it up here. icon_biggrin.gif

bake-A-cake00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bake-A-cake00 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:17am
post #107 of 178

Manch-Vegas comes from illegal gambling that happens in the city, mainly illegal poker machines at bars. Thats what I've heard anyway..... I love Manchester, not a big fan of Nashua...you don't get a nickname like "Trashua" for nothing.

FromScratch Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:17pm
post #108 of 178

Okay.. I called the Puritan and the smallest room they have available for that date comes with a $500.00 minimum for food ordered and that's before tax and tip. So that's out. I have a feeling that the smallest they will have is a $250.00 on food. And that's still a lot.. especially between 8 people.

I have another option if you are all into it. We could all come to my house.. I have a table that sits 8 and a big kitchen couner/island thingy that can seat 4 -5 more and give plenty of room for different demos and what not. I have no kids that day and my dog has a crate in the basement that he goes in when there is a bunch-o-people here as he gets very excited when there's a crowd (he's only 1 and he's a golden so you know the drill.. LOL). My DH suggested it and I am throwing it out there if you all think it's cool. Plus it's free.. LOL. We could go pot-luck for food and it could be fun. I promise I am not a big hairy man.. icon_wink.gif . I will not be offended if you'd rather not especially since I am nore towards the Seacoast area.. I am about 25 minutes south west from Manchester.

I will keep looking for places that can accomodate us though.. icon_biggrin.gif

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:47pm
post #109 of 178

That's fine with me, I don't mind traveling and have no objections about meeting at your home. icon_smile.gif

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 12:50pm
post #110 of 178

That works for me Jeanne :thumbsup:

mommicakes Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:10pm
post #111 of 178

I will pay attention to your final location and your final date of meeting. I'm sorry that I think right now, that is a little bit too far to go. I know it is only 25 more minutes but right now I cant see it. I am sorry. icon_cry.gif

harmonhouseofraymond Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:36pm
post #112 of 178

I will go wherever the consensus is - a couple of things.

1. Have you tried calling Eatons and see if they are intrested in us having the club there - I know you mentioned the Sunday thing but it can't hurt to ask or see what they suggest. (If you want I can call I just don't want to step on your toes)

2. I will offer again the firestation in Raymond. We have a large confrence hall attached to it with long tables, a tv and a kichenette that I can get for free. But again that brings everyone to Raymond and I think that was a hardship for some.

3.Other idea is just go in and take over a resteraunt - for exsample a TGI Friday's - If there are 8 - to 10 of us they have to give us a large table and if we order food we can stay as long as we want.

4. Meet at the mall of NH and we can combine as many tables as we want and pay nothing in the food court.

5. Meet at a college like UNH in Manchester or Durham. They have confrence areas - free that we could all congregate in and do our thing.

Whatever is ok with me I just don't want to loose people because of location when there really is so many choices.

Thanks
Beth

mommicakes Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:44pm
post #113 of 178

I agree with you Beth, it would be ashame if people couldn't make it because of location. I had to giggle a little when you suggested the mall and the food court, because I would go with that myself. icon_lol.gif Cake Club AND Shopping, how could you go wrong? icon_rolleyes.gif

I have wanted to go to Eatons since my aunt told me about them. (she lives in Manchester).

I will follow if I can. icon_smile.gif

bake-A-cake00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bake-A-cake00 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:34pm
post #114 of 178

I have no problem meeting at your house jkalman, just PM directions and a phone number (if you dont mind) I tend to get lost... icon_rolleyes.gif Eatons would be perfect if they were game! Not so sure about a resturant only because I'm a waitress and I know how annoying it can be to have people "camp out" at your tables icon_lol.gif I have no problem going to Raymond either...just keep us updated!

FromScratch Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:00pm
post #115 of 178

Believe me.. my toes will not feel stepped on if you investigate other options.. icon_smile.gif I think Eaton's would be out since most people said they wanted Sunday and they aren't open.. but if you want to call go for it. I have no issues travelling and UNH in Manch sounds like it could be a very viable option.. though UNH in Durham will be farther for the people coming from up north as it's right on the coast. If we plan on just meeting up and having fun then a restaurant would be viable too, though I doubt they'd let us bring in cakes and frosting and all that for various reasons. I also wonder about the mall wanting us in there with cakes and what-not but it'd be worth callign to see.

It was never my intention to make all the decisions so please everyone feel free to call places. If you think of soemthing.. call and see what they have to say. I think it's important that this be collaborative. icon_biggrin.gif We can all vote and figure it out in the end. I will say that I think finding a place closer to the center of the state would be best, but if all else fails.. everyone is welcome here.

melli_fera Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:24pm
post #116 of 178

Well, it is ok to have a "temporary" meeting place (or even rotating meeting places) until we can find something more permanent. I'd rather meet just ANYWHERE at first, rather than waiting and waiting... I don't object to meeting at someone's home (but don't mind me if I act weird because I don't know any of you!!!).

I think it may be worth a shot to call eaton's anyway. I know of a scrapbook store that is closed on Sunday's but they open up for one crop group for a couple of hours. But the store is still technically closed. They might welcome the guaranteed income (fees/dues) on a Sunday. Worst they can say is no.

CristinaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristinaB Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:14pm
post #117 of 178

Hi gang!

I just called Eaton's. The lady I talked to was VERY nice, but said that their insurance wouldn't allow them to open on a day they're not usually doing business (being Sunday). She said it sounded like a great idea and wished us luck. I just talked to my mother who lives in Bow, NH and she's inquiring about using the community center kitchen or the old town hall (she uses these sites regularly for garden club meetings). The idea of Bow as a location came to me when I thought about the traveling distance for all of the interested parties (it's at the junction of I-93 and I-89). It's an hour from Portsmouth, Boston, and some points in VT. I can usually make it there in 45 minutes from Stratham. She'll get back to me as soon as she finds out.

The other thing we could do is just have a meet and greet this first time at a centrally located restaurant and perhaps just do like we do with my book club---rotate homes. We could start with Jeanne's house. I'd be happy to host at my house, and certainly wouldn't mind a drive to MA or VT when that person's turn came up. There's no pressure on anyone to do it, but I bet there would be at least a few people who would be willing to host.

Raymond (for the firehouse) is an easy drive for me too, so I guess I'm flexible for any scenario!

Cristina

mommicakes Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:41pm
post #118 of 178

I like the idea of the first meeting being a meet and greet too. If it came down to taking turns hosting, I wouldn't mind it at all. I will open my home to all who would like to travel to VT. As long as the weather cooperates. icon_smile.gif

The location of Bow sounds good too. I can make it there in about 1.5 hours or so. Will keep watching for the outcome.

melli_fera Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:47pm
post #119 of 178

It might be worth it to look into other community outfits (like churches, rec centers, etc.). Being from MA, it's hard for me to come up with actual places that would be convenient for the majority.

I'm involved with the Salvation Army down here, and I know that all their facilities have kitchens. I'm sure a corps (what they're called) up there would welcome some sort of donation for using their facility.

NEW HAMPSHIRE: Northern New England Division
For more information, visit the Northern New England Division web site at:
- http://www.use.salvationarmy.org/nne

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CORPS COMMUNITY/WORSHIP CENTERS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Berlin, New Hampshire
15 Cole Street
Berlin, NH 03570
(603) 752-1644
E-mail: [email protected]
Site: http://www.use.salvationarmy.org/berlin

Concord, New Hampshire
58 Clinton Street
Concord, NH 03301
(603) 225-5586
NOTE: This location has a Thrift Store
Site: http://www.use.salvationarmy.org/concord

Derry, New Hampshire
18 Folsom Road
Derry, NH 03038
(603) 434-7790
Site: http://www.use.salvationarmy.org/derry

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hampton, New Hampshire
418 Lafayette Road
Hampton, NH 03843
(603) 929-1729
Site: http://www.use.salvationarmy.org/hampton

Keene, New Hampshire
15 Roxbury Plaza
Keene, NH 03431
(603) 352-0607
Site: http://www.use.salvationarmy.org/keene

Laconia, New Hampshire
177 Union Avenue
Laconia, NH 03246
(603) 524-1834
Site: http://www.use.salvationarmy.org/laconia

Manchester, New Hampshire
121 Cedar Street
Manchester, NH 03101
(603) 627-7013
Site: http://www.use.salvationarmy.org/manchester

Nashua, New Hampshire
1 Montgomery Avenue
Nashua, NH 03060
(603) 883-7841
Site: http://www.use.salvationarmy.org/nashua

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
15 Middle Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801
(603) 436-2606
Site: http://www.use.salvationarmy.org/portsmouth

Rochester, New Hampshire
10 Olde Farm Lane
Rochester, NH 03867
(603) 332-2623
Site: http://www.use.salvationarmy.org/rochester

harmonhouseofraymond Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 9:57pm
post #120 of 178

I did not know the salvation Army did that? - Cool

A couple of other ideas -

Is anyone who is doing the club from Manchester. I know in my town if I create a group and go thru the rec department I can reserve the home ec room in my high school for free. Can anyone do that in their area?

Or is anyone affiliated with a church and we could use thier fellowship hall?

Going back to the mall idea - I see people all the time interviewing or having business meetings in the food court. People go there to just sit. I have seen people pack a lunch and sit at the tables. I really don't think it would be a problem to do our meeting there unless people would feel self consious. - I am a community theater person so I thrive on making a spectical - LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%