Cracking Buttercream - I Need Smooth

Decorating By cravepcs Updated 5 Sep 2007 , 12:24am by TC123

cravepcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cravepcs Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 7

I need some help. I have made several practice runs for a wedding cake that I am doing and every single time the buttercream starts to look cracked after I put it on the cake. I use the Viva paper towel method to smooth it after it is on. Can anyone give me any pointers as to what I maybe doing wrong or tips that I don't know about? I appreciate the help in advance!

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 7

How soon after you ice your cake do you smooth it with the paper towels? You want to do this as soon as it crusts. If you wait too long it will look more like elephant skin.

If it cracks after you move the cake, then your support (cake board) is not strong enough.

MAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAK Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 7

What buttercream recipe are you using?

One thing you can try with the recipe you're using -- drop 2 or 3 drops of vinegar in the icing -- the amount is so small it should not affect the taste at all.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 7

Yep those are my two advices GREAT support and a couple drops of vinegar. HTH Good luck........................

cravepcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cravepcs Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK

What buttercream recipe are you using?

One thing you can try with the recipe you're using -- drop 2 or 3 drops of vinegar in the icing -- the amount is so small it should not affect the taste at all.

I am using the buttercream dream. I am also using the paper towel method right after I frost when it first starts to crust. I will try using the vinegar. Thanks for all the replies!

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:10am
post #6 of 7

Good question! I have had this happen as well. I am now using sugarshacks bc recipe and so far that hasn't happened but now I can try these tips if it does. Thanks!

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:24am
post #7 of 7

Hi! ... Great advice here!

I use Buttercream Dream, too, but have not experienced cracking. I used it last week on my mom's birthday cake, and had to drive 3 hours to my sister's shore house for the party. It held up nicely for me (thank goodness!). I have not used it on stacked cakes yet, though. Anyway, maybe it has something to do with the butter(s) and/or shortening? (I used Land-o-Lakes salted and unsalted, along with Crisco ~ the "regular" kind, not that new zero trans fat version that I see other users mention.)

Good luck! And please be sure to share pictures of the wedding cake! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%