Best 'starter' Fondant?

Decorating By CeeTee Updated 6 Sep 2007 , 3:41am by sweetcakes

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 17

I'm starting the Course III class this week and using fondant for the first time. I don't have the means to make my own fondant (I only have a small low power hand mixer, which means MMF is out of the question) and I've heard all the horror stories of the flavor of Wilton's.

I was going to order pre-made rolled fondant so it will be here in time for class next week when we make the bow cake, but I'm not sure which brand would be the best to get. I've heard of Pettinice, Satin Ice, and Fondx, but not sure which would be the easiest one for a total novice to work with. I don't want to use the Wilton brand because I take all my class/practice cakes to work, so it will be eaten.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

16 replies
mycakesandmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mycakesandmore Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 17

I make my marshmallow fondant without a mixer all the time.... I just melt my marshmallows w/a little water, stir until smooth, add about 1/2 bag of powdered sugar and stir with a spoon until the marshmallows are not so "runny" and then I pour the rest of the bag of powdered sugar on my countertop, make a well in the center, pour the marshmallow/pwd sugar mixture in the middle and then just start kneading it in.... yep, it's a lot of elbow grease... but it *can* be done without a mixer if you want to try it.

As far as other premade fondants... have never tried anything other than wilton's

Rycher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rycher Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 17

This weekend was the first time I made MMF. It was extremely easy (and like mycakesandmore, I never brought out my KA) and tasted sooo much better than wilton fondant. I used Rhonda's Ultimate MMF recipe and had a lot of luck with it. I would recommend it. thumbs_up.gif

momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 17

Rhonda's ultimate MMF is the way to go, and you don't need a mixer.

cakesbygrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbygrandma Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 17

can you please share the recipe for Rhonda's mmf I could not find it in the receipe sections. Always looking for a good mmf.
Thanks

nikki1201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1201 Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 17

Great Advice! I'm hoping to make some myself for the first time, and I keep reading *wonderful* things about the MMF. Glad to know I can make it without a KA! I have one of those hand-held electric mixers, but that wouldn't work if its like a dough, right? I'm willing to try it by hand if it's really as yummy as everyone says! I just read a thread about the "duff roases"..... Cant wait to try!

CeeTee Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:18am
post #7 of 17

I'm glad to know there's a MMF recipe I can use that doesn't need a mixer. thank you! icon_smile.gif I'll look up the recipe. If it's not too hard to make and store I'll try that, but barring that I guess I'll take the chance and order either Fondx or Satin Ice.

Times like this I really wish I had a full size kitchen. icon_sad.gif I live in a studio so my options are very limited!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 7:52am
post #8 of 17

Is this the recipe you mean?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3183-4-Rhondas-Ultimate-MMF.html

and this is Rhonda's recipe with some changes/updates by another member, cajundecoration:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5213-0-Addendum-to-Rhondas-Ultimate-MMF.html

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 8:20am
post #9 of 17

I've made marshmallow fondant without a mixer. Just do it as stated above, it'll be fine. Mine didn't turn out great because I didn't use enough powdered sugar, and I had never used fondant before, so I didn't know what consistency it was supposed to be. It worked well, but it was a bit too stretchy.

Now I use Satin Ice. I love it. It's very easy to work with, and it tastes SO good. I don't know why, but I think the black tastes even better than the white. It has more of a vanilla taste to it, in my opinion. I'm still learning to work with fondant, so I have had a lot of issues, but all of them are mostly because I'm self taught and don't really know what I'm doing. I'll get it, though.

Good luck on making your fondant, if you decide to do it that way. I'm sure you won't be disappointed either way you go.

Holly

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 10:24am
post #10 of 17

I love satin ice.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 10:25am
post #11 of 17

I always make my fondant by hand and by feel. I use the Toba Garrett recipe from here on CC: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2127-Toba-Garretts-fondant.html

If you've never used fondant before, though, it's probably a good idea to buy it so you can get a feel of what it's supposed to look like anyway. I've only ever worked with Wilton fondant and it's really really easy to work with...but yeah, the flavor is bad. Satin Ice is the one I've heard the most rave reviews for but I haven't worked with any of those though. Good luck with your package cake! icon_biggrin.gif

ysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ysa Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 11:32am
post #12 of 17

mmf fanatic here! no fail!

Aika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aika Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 11:53am
post #13 of 17

umm,..if i add princess cake and cookie emulsion to wilton rolled fondant,is the taste of the fondant will be better?

CeeTee Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:55pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSombra

If you've never used fondant before, though, it's probably a good idea to buy it so you can get a feel of what it's supposed to look like anyway. I've only ever worked with Wilton fondant and it's really really easy to work with...but yeah, the flavor is bad. Satin Ice is the one I've heard the most rave reviews for but I haven't worked with any of those though. Good luck with your package cake! icon_biggrin.gif

I've never used or even seen fondant in person before. I've never had a cake with it on so I truly have zero refrence for how fondant is supposed to look, feel, or taste. I'll stick with buying it for now and make my own once I know what it is I'm exactly supposed to be making. icon_smile.gif

My instructor told me that there's a party store downtown that sells Satin Ice so I don't have to pay to order it. It's the one with the highest reviews so I'm gonna give it a shot!

Thank you for the feedback, everyone!

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 4:19am
post #15 of 17

what is Satin Ice? Is it botton or made-if made what's the recipe please.

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 12:23am
post #16 of 17

love Satin Ice, you purchase it pre-made

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 3:41am
post #17 of 17

for your class cake the wilton may be the best thing to use, just for your first time and experience with fondant. this way you can get used to its feel, how it stretches, how to roll it out and cover your cake. i know the flavour is not the best, but with cake it is not too bad. just dont try to eat it alone. you can also brush your cake with some sieved jam to enhance the fondant flavour too. then after you have had this practise round you can then use the more flavourable fondant or make your own MMF. thats just my 2c.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%