%^#@$! Stupid Frosting!

Decorating By libranikki Updated 3 Nov 2006 , 5:01am by imartsy

libranikki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
libranikki Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 11

So Im making a white chocolate raspberry cake for my best friends birthday party on Sunday. I baked all the cakes and froze them. Today I took them out of the freezer and spread the raspberry on them.
I go to make the frosting. Its cream, white chocolate, gelatin, and sugar.
Everything was going great. The chocolate melted and cooled nicely, the cream was getting stiff, so I melt the gelatin and add it. So far so good. Nice soft peaks in a perfectly chilled bowl and mixers. I go to add the COOLED chocolate and what happens?
SOUP! The stiff frosting turned to soup! White soup with chunks of......white stuff.
It tastes good, but I cant frost nothing now. Ive got cakes with raspberry on every counter I own and no stupid frosting. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!

10 replies
sarzoemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarzoemom Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 11

I had the same thing happen to me when I made that type of frosting. So here is a bump!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 11

The only thing I can think of is if maybe you beat the cooled white chocolate first then added to the buttercream (not that I have done this, but it sounded good icon_redface.gif )

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 11

Maybe get the whole thing pretty dang'd cold in the fridge, and then just beat it 'til it's blue!!

Turn on the Kitchenaid and let it go for a while--the cream SHOULD hold up with those ingredients--?

What the...?

Now I want to know what's up!

--Knox--

libranikki Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 11

Well, I stuck it in the freezer for a bit and I took it out and tried to beat it again.
Basically, I and everything around me, wound in with white sticky frosting on us/it. Plus there were little ice crystals in the cream.
So I went to wiltons website and just used their recipe for chocolate buttercream but instead I substituted reg choc for white.
Im glad I did because it tastes soooooo much better. I couldnt stop licking the beaters lol.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 11

LibraNikki:

Yes...I was going to suggest a "do over" with regular buttercream and MORE white chocolate, but sometimes when you suggest adding "more" ingredients, people get all defensive about "spending more $$!"

So that's why I didn't... icon_redface.gif

But I'm glad your new icing tastes wonderful--I'm going to have to try the white chocolate thing one of these days.

Glad it worked out for you! thumbs_up.gif

--Knox--

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 11

Is that type of icing easy to smoothe? I would love to try something other than the crusting BC and still be able to smoothe it.

hopper1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hopper1 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 11

Here's what I would do.
Melt the white chocolate in the cream before whipping and let it cool overnight(or freezer if you are in a hurry). That way the butterfat from the white chocolate mixes and whips up with the cream at the same time.
Of course the thing you always have to look out for is whipping the cream too much because you will get butter and a bunch of water. But you probably allready know that.icon_smile.gif

libranikki Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 9:58pm
post #9 of 11

I think what I did was overbeat and probably added the white choc too quickly and it probably wasnt cold enough. But, it said to beat until it was all incorp. and there was still streaks of choc so thats why I kept beating. Next time I know, but then again, the Wiltons recipe was so much easier and yummy-er (if thats a word lol).
Yes it was super easy to smooth and crusted over pretty nice even though it was the cumb coat. I think Im going to make another batch and use it as the top coat. It left a nice finish.
And I totally dont mind spending more money on ingredients. It was just a rush job because I had all the cakes assembled on my counters and nothing I could do with them until I could layer them.
We only have one car and my hubby had it. I wouldve hated to leave the cakes out all afternoon, then go to the store, then come home. Id be frosting cakes till 4am! LOL.
Anyhow, thanks for all the tips and advice!

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:56am
post #10 of 11

sounds like something that would happen to me

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 5:01am
post #11 of 11

that sounds like an interesting recipe - where did you get it? Is it on here?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%