How Do I Ice A Cake Dummy Made Out Of Rkt?

Decorating By maggiev777 Updated 4 Sep 2007 , 2:01am by maggiev777

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 1:12am
post #1 of 7

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I'm new to this and just want to make sure I do it right!

For one cake, I want it to be iced in BC. Do I just ice the RKT cake like a regular cake?

What if I want to ice it in RI instead of BC? This is for my State Fair entry and it seems like RI would wear better and be harder to damage in transport than BC. But can RI be smoothed the same way BC can? I'm not great at smoothing BC but I just want to make sure RI isn't even more difficult to smooth!

For the other cake, I want to cover it in fondant. How should I ice the RKT dummy first? Can I ice in RI and then put fondant over that? Or do I have to do BC and then fondant? (I'm assuming I can't put fondant right on top of the RKT because it would be all bumpy, right?)

Thank you!!!

6 replies
donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 1:20am
post #2 of 7

What is RKT? icon_eek.gif

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 1:33am
post #3 of 7

RKT is rice krispy treat....yummy! I would love some of these icing tips as well. I am thinking of molding a few things out of the RKT for my cakes and would love hints before I get started and ruin everything! icon_lol.gif

maggiev777 Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 12:46pm
post #4 of 7

Anyone able to help out Jeffer and me? Please?

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 7

Well, I haven't done this before, but I would imagine you would ice a RKT dummy the same way you would a cake. One nice thing about using royal icing, is that you can smooth it with a hot, wet knife, and when it dries, you can sand it smooth! (That's how the cakes in the Wilton yearbook look so perfect...) RI pipes like a dream. One suggestion, though, is don't change the consistency - use it as it comes out of the mixer bowl. It works great.

As far as the fondant, you might want to cover it with a layer of buttercream first to help smooth the surface. Every little bump and cranny will show through the fondant, and while this is great for something like wood grain, it might not be so desirable on other cakes!

You can always try a miniature cake first, and see how it turns out.

Good luck with your fair entries!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 7

I can't help with the royal icing as I have not iced a cake with it yet.

However I do have a present cake in my photos with a yellow bow, it is a 10" square cake that is two 2" layers of RKT. I mixed up some RKT and then formed them in my pan. Then after letting cool for about 15 mins out of the pan to firm up (did clean up at this time) I stacked/filled/and iced with buttercream icing. I iced just like I do a normal cake, then I covered with fondant. Worked great.

HTH

maggiev777 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:01am
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much, y'all, for your help! I think I'll plunge in this week and see how it goes. I really appreciate the tips!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%