I Want To Create My Own Website...

Decorating By DiscoLady Updated 14 Nov 2006 , 3:06pm by indydebi

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 11

I need your help in creating my own website. Where did you go to create yours? Do you recommend free websites? How much do you pay? Any help you can offer I would really appreciate. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

10 replies
midialjoje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midialjoje Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 11

I used freewebs.com. but upgraded to be able to add more pictures and not have the banner ads. (still cheap). You have to make sure that you get it registered on search engines, though, or no one will be able to find it. I tells you how to do that on the site. was very user friendly. I'm also going to pay (again minimal) to get rid of the "freewebs.com" in front of my website address.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 11

midialjoje
Im doing the same thing.. I payed 40 bucks for a year at freewebs to have unlimited photos and no adds.. I went to Yahoo and bought a domain for 19.00 for a year.. You can transfer your domain name to your website you have already built with freewebs.. I love it!!

nichi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nichi Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 11

I used sbc/yahoo for mine, it gets tacked on to my regular phone bill with my dsl etc. I think its something like 9 bucks a month, with email addresses and lots of space. They have a program with it to create your website as well, kindof a drag and drop type of thing. Limited freatures but its good for someone new to website building, like me icon_smile.gif

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 11

nichi
Oh My!! I love your website. I love the way you give the description of who you made cake for and how you made it.. Mined if I do something like that too.. I can't believe yours is only 9 bucks!!!

nichi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nichi Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 11

Sure thing! Glad you like it.
icon_biggrin.gif

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 11:52pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks for the ideas...I would love some more icon_biggrin.gif

Chauntelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chauntelle Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 11:55pm
post #8 of 11

If you are interested my Dh actually does web design. I am not sure what he charges but i know if it is pretty basic he doesn't charge much so if you would like his email address is [email protected]

susiecho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susiecho Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 6:39am
post #9 of 11

Like i've said before on these boards, basically, you get what you pay for. As a designer, I do not think that most free (or even really cheap) webside builders are very effective. If you really care about your creations, put them in a well-thought-out layout, take gorgeous photos, and use beautiful typography! It's well worth it.

If you would like, I would be happy to lend my services (you can check out website for samples and contact info).

and good luck to you!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:06pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by susiecho

(you can check out website for samples and contact info).

Your ad work is fantastic. Also, your self-portrait was beautiful and shocking!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 3:06pm
post #11 of 11

I use register.com. You can get a 5 page for $4.95, but I upgraded to 20 pages for $14.95 a month. I found it very simple to set up. My "Banna's Cookies" website is an upgrade but my does-computers-for-a-living son-in-law created that one. I did the "Cater It Simple" website and you sure can tell a difference in these two websites!

My 14-year old showed me how to set up a photo gallery on Flickr.com (there's a link on my wedding cake photo pages on the CIS site) so I have almost-unlimited photo space for free.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%