Pan Sizes For A 3Tier Cake

Decorating By Lilla Updated 30 Aug 2007 , 4:54pm by LaSombra

Lilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lilla Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 11:10am
post #1 of 9

I'm about to do my first 3tier cake and need some help on deciding the pan sizes. I don't want a very big cake. Just enough for about 30 people. My Sugar Craft instructor suggested the following sizes : 11', 8' & 4'. The cake will be covered in fondant. Your feedback will be appreciated.[/b]

8 replies
tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 11:26am
post #2 of 9

The problem is to serve only 30 people, to do a 3 tier cake you are definetly going to end up with more cake. I suggest a 10,8,6 and that will feed 53 but there really is no way that I know of to go smaller than that... unless yo do 8, 6, with a cupcake as your top tier depending on the look you are going for and that would only feed 24 so your kind of "stuck" for 3 layers. I always go higher rather than lower better to have to much cake than be embarresed with not enough!

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 11:44am
post #3 of 9

yep I agree with Tnuty in order to feed 3 and have your cake still look "right" you are going to have some left over. I think your best bet is just likt Tnuty said a 10, 8 , 6.
HTH thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 9

Are you talking single layer cakes or 2-layer cakes per tier? icon_confused.gif Because a 10" 2-layer round serves 38 by itself.

Does the client want 3-tiers or is this just something you are wanting to do? I've had brides tell me they want a certain-tier cake but it is not possible with the small number of servings they need. I flat out tell them, "You cannot have a 5 tier cake for 60 people. It just can't happen."

Lilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lilla Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you all for your quick response. The customer did request a 3tier cake. She brought me a picture from a magazine so I don't think its going to be a big deal if the cake serves more than 30. I was thinking of doing 2-layer cakes per tier, but maybe I should then only do single layers?? and with this being my first 3tier, maybe is safer to go with single layers.

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 9

I would do single layers..you will definatly have WAY to much cake if you do double layers.

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 9

You could do a "dummy" cake for the 10" tier to avoid having way too many servings.............and still get the look she wants.........

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerri729

You could do a "dummy" cake for the 10" tier to avoid having way too many servings.............and still get the look she wants.........

That's what this one is. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=745503 The middle tier is a 10" (serves 38 technically).

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 9

I'd probably do 6/8/10 but i have done smaller before. I'll put in a pic of a cake I did that was 4/6/8 It was to serve only 20. They wanted the 3 tier look but a small cake. The 4 in tier is made from those little wilton springform pans. I use them all the time for little cakes at the farmers market.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%