Help Please!!!!!! Bc Not Crusting!

Decorating By pscsgrrl Updated 28 Oct 2006 , 3:55am by pscsgrrl

pscsgrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pscsgrrl Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:41am
post #1 of 5

I used the Wilton class recipe that I have used before w/no probs. Tonight, it just won't crust. Has anyone had this happen?? Do I need to stick in the fridge for a while? Last time I used it, it crusted right away, and I was able to use Viva on it. I am trying to use parchment or typing paper on it tonight, and it just isn't crusting.

What am I doing wrong?? I am just not talented enough to smooth the icing w/out something.

4 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:45am
post #2 of 5

Let it sit a bit longer and try it again. Sometimes it just depends on the weather.

delaware Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delaware Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:46am
post #3 of 5

I would try to stick it in the fridge. Maybe your kitchen is a little too warm. If it won't crust, try smoothing with a warm knife/spatula.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:50am
post #4 of 5

I know this might sound weird but if I use a hot knife to try and smooth the cake before taking a paper towel to it, then it never crusts and then I just have to do the best I can with my spatula and no paper towl.....if I omit the hot knife thingy, and just use a spatula (not hot) then it crusts well...and I can use the paper towel..
This is not just a one time occurrence..I have experimented with that...

If that isn't it...I am stumped too...

pscsgrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pscsgrrl Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:55am
post #5 of 5

Interesting about the hot knife. I wonder if my hands could have made the spatula hot.

I stuck the cake in the fridge. Maybe that will help. We don't keep our house really cold because of the high electric bills so maybe that has something to do with it too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%