Ants In My Pantry:(

Lounge By jsmith Updated 26 Nov 2006 , 7:22am by SwampWitch

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 41

wahh. icon_sad.gif I'm working on three two tiered cakes for this weekend and I had to stop to kill a million ants. I think I killed most of them but I had to stop and rest and vent to somebody. icon_cry.gif

40 replies
missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 41

I really feel for you... I hate ants and they are bad this season...

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 41

I can sympathize (and empathize with you). My entire city was built on a huge ant hill. Or at least it seems that way.

I have found that vigilance about not leaving crumbs (or kitty kibbles) on the floor helps, except when the infestations get bad, like this year. Then, a combination of ant traps and judiciously sprayed ant spray seem to get rid of the problem in 2-3 days. (but it's a horrible 2-3 days!)

I use a "food-safe" ant spray, so I can even use it on countertops and near pet food bowls.

RP

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 12:02am
post #4 of 41

red panda, do you mind if I ask what is the name of your food safe ant spray as we have problems with ants here too and with the weather warming up it will get worse.

crafty01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty01 Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 2:50am
post #5 of 41

I had that same problem a while back go to hardware store and get Torro ant things they work wonderful it might take a couple of days to get them all but havent seen any since.

Jenn1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn1978 Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 2:56am
post #6 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda

I can sympathize (and empathize with you). My entire city was built on a huge ant hill. Or at least it seems that way.

I have found that vigilance about not leaving crumbs (or kitty kibbles) on the floor helps, except when the infestations get bad, like this year. Then, a combination of ant traps and judiciously sprayed ant spray seem to get rid of the problem in 2-3 days. (but it's a horrible 2-3 days!)

I use a "food-safe" ant spray, so I can even use it on countertops and near pet food bowls.

RP

redpanda I so feel your pain! Im in San Diego and I swear this has been the worst year for ants! At one point I thought they had litterally moved in and had taken over my kitchen! It was awful! It was like they evicted me from my own home!

jsmith Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:01am
post #7 of 41

Thank you. I am a little calmer now. I feel silly but I never expected a million ants to just come marching into my house so I didn't know what to do. I started spraying with windex. After I deliver my cakes tomorrow I'm going to the hardware store and get some of that Toro. Thank heaven they didn't get to my cakes.

kellylowe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellylowe Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:02am
post #8 of 41

Jsmith,

I am in Lake Charles, and I know this sounds funny, but go outside and see if there is a large ant hill somewhere near your pantry . These boogers can travel! Anyway, kill all ant piles outside then call a pest control company. I pay $28 a month for McKenzie to come out and spray inside and outside my house eliminating all problems with ants.

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:04am
post #9 of 41

OMG, you guys, I just hate ant infestations. When we were in So. Cal. we had them more than I could handle. Amagingly (or maybe not so) when we loved in Fl, dh was ok to spring for pest control and we have it here in LV, but in So Cal he just said no - and it was such an issue there. Men - can't live with them - can't shoot them (or so I'm told)

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:12am
post #10 of 41

Ok We have ants every year but I seem to have conquered them from coming into the kitchen. Ants are smart little buggers-As they walk they sit and leave a trail for other ants to follow. I have found that nothing gets rid of this?? I start from where they are coming in. For sure the sugar ants all come in the same place. I find that place and spray outside. I have baited them with terro which works great. Draw back is if you have pets and children you need to keep them far away. I also treated around the foundation this year probably three times. We live a few miles from the river and the soil is sand ideal for ants to live. Sorry to hear your troubles!

jsmith Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:17am
post #11 of 41

kellylowe
Thanks. $28 a month is so worth it. I am going to check with some places around here. I looked outside and there is a huge line of ants marching from my neighbors yard near the pantry. I didn't see an ant hill but it might be next door. I am so paranoid now. I usually feel comfortable making cakes for people because I keep my house clean but now I keep checking everything before I put it near my cakes.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 5:13am
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozcake

red panda, do you mind if I ask what is the name of your food safe ant spray as we have problems with ants here too and with the weather warming up it will get worse.

It is called "Bioganic Safety Brands" . The active ingredient is Rosemary, and the other ingredients are water, wintergreen oil, mineral oil, and carbon dioxide. It has a rather strong wintergreen smell, which I can live with.

Because it is oil, instead of alcohol or water based, it does leave a film that I need to wipe up. I try to leave the residue for a couple of days, and then just wipe with damp paper towels.

The first time we used it, we had a horrible infestation, with the ants going into my pantry and my refrigerator. Even into the freezer through tiny gaps in the freezer seal. (Little ant corpses in the ice cube tray. EEEEWWWW!) DH went crazy spraying it all along their trails and along every baseboard in the kitchen. Did you know that oil on the floor is really slippery? I walked into the kitchen a few hours after the spraying, and nearly fell on my rear! icon_eek.gif

I used to be able to buy it at a local grocery store and at Home Depot, but now I have to buy it online.

RP

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 4:48pm
post #13 of 41

a tip my instructor gave me is to put ur cake on a piece of tin foil and sprinkle some baby powder around the cake as well. Ants wont get to ur cake!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 4:55pm
post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by crafty01

I had that same problem a while back go to hardware store and get Torro ant things they work wonderful it might take a couple of days to get them all but havent seen any since.

These are the BEST ant traps EVER!!! My son even ate a cookie with some of the ant bait and I was freaking out calling poison control........turns out they're made up of almost 100% borax so it's not harmful!! However, my stores don't carry them all the time so I thought hmm...borax....now at the first sight of ants OUTSIDE of our house....I line the entire foundation of the house in borax and we haven't EVER had ANY ants in the house this year !!! EVER!! Usually we get them really bad in the spring and summer!

cakesbycombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycombs Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 5:02pm
post #15 of 41

i got an email the other day that said you could sprinkle a packet of aspertame sweetener and the ants will eat it like crazy because it is sweet but the it kills them. i haven't tried it yet but thought i would share

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 5:16pm
post #16 of 41

I have problems in the Spring with ants. One thing I have found that helps is sprinkling boric acid under my kitchen sink and on my window sill over my sink. I also had them this year coming out of my bathtub drain. Strange...........

Diane

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 11:49pm
post #17 of 41

Thanks for the info Red Panda icon_smile.gif

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 1:09pm
post #18 of 41

boric acid kills them and is safe to use around foo and people

fumanfyter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fumanfyter Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 5:24pm
post #19 of 41

i had a really bad ant problem a few mos ago and went online and did some researching. i have 2 small children (both under 2yrs) and the ants where comming in near the area they play, i read that cinnamon and nutmeg sprinkled where they come in would stop them. IT TOTALLY WORKED! i mean the biggest plus side is that just about EVERYONE should have these in their cabinets! now a few weeks after that they came in other places, and since they were no where near the kids i put some ant traps but also used the cinn. and nutmeg, so not many ants came in and then the ones that did ate the trap and haven't seen them since!

paxpuella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paxpuella Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 7:51pm
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Quote:

However, my stores don't carry them all the time so I thought hmm...borax....now at the first sight of ants OUTSIDE of our house....I line the entire foundation of the house in borax and we haven't EVER had ANY ants in the house this year !!! EVER!! Usually we get them really bad in the spring and summer!

Thank you for posting this. I will pick up some borax the next time I am at the store and line our house. I thought we got rid of our ants, but somehow the little buggers came back to life and are stronger than ever. We have the little terro ant baits set up and they seem to love it. I can't figure out why they are so strong this year and right now too.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:20am
post #21 of 41

Try to find out where they are comming into your house. I was told by an exterminator friend to put cinnamon in the path of the ants. It will somehow get on their underside and kill them. I don't know why this is suppose to work, but when I did it they all died. They were comming in though a window so I sealed the leak in the window after they were all dead. Hope this helps.

jsmith Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:32am
post #22 of 41

I went to home depot after I delivered my cakes and got some stuff. They didn't have the torro stuff but I got the Ortho spray stuff to spray outside. My husband wanted to get the cheaper off brand and I told him heck no. Some generic stuff is ok but this is important to me. icon_smile.gif I also called and left a message for an exterminator so they should call me on monday. So it's been one day and I dont see too many ants. A few that were already in the house. I also sealed up some tiny holes with a caulk gun. I don't think they were fire ants beacause I wasn't bitten so I guess thats good. Just from reading these posts I see it could have been worse. Ants in the freezer? Yikes! icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:37am
post #23 of 41

Hedge apples and the wrigley's gum in the green wrapper will work, too. Just place sticks of the gum or the hedge apples around where the ants are. The cinnamon and nutmeg are great ideas...and it will make the kitchen smell nice, too!

born2bake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake4u Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:40am
post #24 of 41

i use borax, it works and is pretty safe. i add some sugar that draws the ants and then the borax kills them. i put it around the house in the spring. also bushes or certain kinds can bring them. i use to have these piney things and i took them out in the summer andput in burning bushes and now we don't have them. they were terrible. all over my daughters window. drove me craxy. also if you have kids and take i think its 2 tblsp borax 1/2 c cold water and 1/2 cup of glue it makes this slime stuff that kids love. my kids use to get such a thrill out of it. you might have to test the amount of the borax, because i am not sure if it should be more.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:44am
post #25 of 41

If you have the very tiny ants my husband calls them pi$$ ants. He says that they pi$$ him off. I thought he had made up that name, but where I teach there are quite a few people that call them the same thing.

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:49am
post #26 of 41

I use the Ziplock bags to seal anything that is sweet. It seems to help.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 3:35am
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Treats

Hedge apples and the wrigley's gum in the green wrapper will work, too. Just place sticks of the gum or the hedge apples around where the ants are. The cinnamon and nutmeg are great ideas...and it will make the kitchen smell nice, too!

Used to put hedge apples around my house for spiders but didn't know they were good for ants. Now I will have to see if I can find some. Amazing how many home remedies everyone comes up with. icon_lol.gif

Diane

TiffTurtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffTurtle Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 3:43am
post #28 of 41

I HATE ants...i have done everything thing that i could think of to get rid of them and just like yall they have been the worst this year...i thought once we got out first frost they would be gone...nope...its crazy...so i am so glad that this post was started cause now i have some ideas of what to do to get rid of the flippin things.

Thanks Yall

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 5:06pm
post #29 of 41

I was having a terrible problem with ants in the pet food, even the water bowls. I placed some milk bottle caps with Amdro in some strategic places and they disappeared. Amdro is a bait poison used for fire ants - luckily it works for other kinds of ants too. The cats aren't attracted to it, even my one who seems to get into everything, ignores them.

morg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morg Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 2:20am
post #30 of 41

You're short changing yourself buying Borax because its cheaper to buy boric acid at any hardware/garden area. (I used to own a pest control company in Florida). Don't buy Borid because you're paying for a label. Buy generic.

Borax has soap and other crud in it. You want plain boric acid powder. Insects have an exoskelton (outer shell), and the boric acid eats through it so they dehydrate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%