Can Someone Tell Me How--

Baking By pinkaproncookie Updated 28 Aug 2007 , 11:57am by GeminiRJ

pinkaproncookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkaproncookie Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 12:02am
post #1 of 11

to make chocolate covered oreos. I bought Ghiradelli dark chocolate chips, can I just melt them and fill the mold and be off, or do I have to do something to the chocolate? I do not I REPEAT do not usually work with chocolate, so I need guidance. Any tips are appreciated.

Wendy icon_smile.gif

10 replies
rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 12:40am
post #2 of 11

I have only done this once but i thought i would share my experiance. I just melted my chocolte untill it was smooth and filled the mold about half way and pushed the oreo in untill it was covered. I did also lightly spray the mold with a cooking spray cuz the first time it was kind of hard to pop them out. The spray helped. I used nestly chocolate and they melted in my hands when holding them. This is all i have so just give it a try and see what works for you.

jlewis888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlewis888 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 12:48am
post #3 of 11

I am no help--but I am interested--so here's a bump.

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 12:48am
post #4 of 11

I've done these for years for Easter. I just take the chocolate disks, melt them in the microwave (JUST until almost melted so you can mix it and the rest melts), put the oreo on a fork or candy dipping fork type tool and dip to coat. I remove it and kinda shake the excess off and then lay them on waxed paper to set. Easy!!!

pinkaproncookie Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 12:55am
post #5 of 11

I have the molds, do I put them in the fridge to set up, and did the spray make them greasy?

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 12:57am
post #6 of 11

Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water until melted. You can spoon some of the chocolate in the molds and then place your oreo cookie in, then spoon some more over it. Then put the mold in the freezer for five minutes and then the chocolate should pop right out. Now, I dont know what an oreo mold is or would bother buying one. I would use a dipping fork and dip it right into the chocolate. Then put it on a silpad or wax paper and then put it in the freezer.

MAGGISMITH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAGGISMITH Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 12:59am
post #7 of 11

I usually put the molds in the freezer to set up for about 6 minutes. Don't spray the molds, it will make the chocolate dull. The chocolate should pop right out of the mold if it is set up enough. If it doesn't pop out easily, it needs to be in the freezer longer. Hope this helps!

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:10am
post #8 of 11

I have the molds also. I didn't add anything to my chocolate... just melted it in the microwave. I poured some in the bottom of the mold and placed the oreo in then finished covering with chocolate. Be sure and tap the mold on the counter at this point several times to release any air bubbles. I placed mine in the freezer until they set up completely, turned them over on a towel and they popped out fairly easily. I had to tap the mold on the towel to help release the ones that didn't release right away. Sometimes popping them back into the freezer for a few more minutes helps also if they don't want to release easily. I didn't spray the molds, but a tiny bit of oil to coat the molds shouldn't hurt either

andi28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andi28 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:13am
post #9 of 11

I have made the chocolate covered oreos before. You can get the tutorial for them from Spinning Leaf.com, they have the molds for them also. Hope this helps out alot.

pinkaproncookie Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 4:14am
post #10 of 11

Thank you all for your help, I am going to attempt them tomorrow.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 11:57am
post #11 of 11

Interesting. I was always told to put the molds in the fridge, never the freezer. I've not had a problem with the Oreos popping out of the molds, but it does take longer to chill them in the fridge! I'm waiting for my new order of molds to show up from SpinningLeag...should be today!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%