Anyone Know What It Takes To Start A Cake Business In Kansas

Business By wendysue Updated 20 Jul 2005 , 1:34pm by wendysue

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 5

I've just discovered this websight and what a find!!
Do any of you have advice on how to start a cake business in the state of Kansas? Is it even possible to do out of your home? If anyone from Kansas has any information or advice I'd be so grateful! Keeping my fingers crossed!
Currently I make about a cake a month for friends and family, so I don't think I'm doing anything that will get me into trouble, but I desperately want to start a wedding cake business! icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks in advance!

4 replies
melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 3:54am
post #2 of 5

you can have a cake business in your home in kansas! but you have to have a seperate kitchen, with a three bay sink and a seperate sink for hand washing. pain, but if you have a liscence you can advertise. what part of kansas?
melody

wendysue Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 5

Melody,

Thanks for that info. I live in a suburb of Kansas City, where are you?
Do you know if there are specifications on where in the house the 2nd kitchen is? We are currently speaking to a builder about a new house, and I'd always imagined putting a second kitchen in my basement.
Do you know where I could find more details about this?
Also, how do I go about getting licensed? Do you know who I should contact?

Thanks so much for sharing what you know! I want to do this cake thing so bad and you've given me some hope! Seems like it would be the perfect stay-at-home job for me!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 4:43am
post #4 of 5

you have to get zoned before you even deal with the health dept. about a liscence. i dont have that info with me....out of town right now. when i get back i will post that or pm you. what suburbs are you talking about? i live out by the speedway.
melody

wendysue Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 5

Melody,
Hi! I currently live in Olathe, but we are looking at property in Lenexa and may move early next year. My in-laws live near the speedway too! It's a small world!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%