Sad Day... I Could Only Find $40 Worth Of..

Decorating By Tonja Updated 26 Oct 2006 , 1:13pm by 2xMiMi

Tonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tonja Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 1:37am
post #1 of 20

Wilton stuff that I wanted or needed.....Icould have gotten some cake stands.. but I am out of room!!!! Is anyone else in my boat? I really almost have everything I need.....humph!! it was not even exciting....

19 replies
LmLBuddy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LmLBuddy4 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 1:44am
post #2 of 20

I WISH I were in your shoes! I have so much stuff still to get, I could spend hundreds of dollars. Actually... my husband wishes I were in your shoes icon_wink.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 1:46am
post #3 of 20

Tonja, if you look over your shoulder you'll me see pushing the other oar!! icon_lol.gif I get so excited when these coupons come out, then I get there and I'm like... got it, got it, got it, don't want it, got it, got it, don't know what it's for, got it... The HL store aroudn here doesn't have a very impressive supply. There is a True Value that has a rockin' cake section, but they don't have coupons like that!

Tonja Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 1:46am
post #4 of 20

LOL... my hubby is probably glad I am this stage... I only started decorating in May and this is my second 50% Wilton shopping spree... I was lucky and was given serveral wedding sets and some tips. But for the most part, I have everything at 40-50% off... And I did order 35.00 worth of americolor from CC....

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:02am
post #5 of 20

I started really buying alot of my cake stuff 5 years ago. Over that time I have gotten alot of things. Now when I go shopping I stop and think. I try not to be an impulse buyer when it comes to cake stuff. Sure there are some neat things, but I stop and think if I will ever use it. I have a ton of stuff I have not used yet.

When these coupons come out I don't usually use them to buy alot of big stuff or things I don't have and probably won't use. I use them to stock up on things I use alot and know I will need alot. I use these coupons to buy the box of 100 bags, cake boards and so forth. Those things you know you will need to buy and even if you have a box of 100 bags you will need more of them and you might as well get them cheaper when you can.

I guess it also helps me that these coupons come out when I am always low on cash. So I also have to weigh what I spend more carefully. icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:08am
post #6 of 20

I know what you mean TexasSugar... I always end up buying the giant can of mer-ingue powder when I get the 40-50% off coupons! I always get two of 'em! icon_wink.gif That's something that goes quickly, and I'll always need more!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:08am
post #7 of 20

I pretty much have all the cake toys I need for now, now I just buy things as I need them...cake boards, boxes, misc tool here or there.

I don't buy cake stands and etc unless someone requests one.

TexasSugar Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:20am
post #8 of 20

Melvira, that's how I am wiht the box of 100 bags. I swear sometimes I think those things grow legs and walk away. Lately it seems every cake I do has 5-10 different colors on them.

I also stock up on things I use when teaching, like the vanilla and butter extract. That stuff adds up after a while so I'm all for saving when I can. icon_smile.gif

Tonja Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:37am
post #9 of 20

That is what I try to do too... I use that time to buy the bigger quantities that I cannot justify without a coupon..I needed a big cooling rack... so I got that and I got the big container of plastic cookie cutters with the alphabet, etc.. I got another 6" pan. Just stuff like that... i have been lucky with the wilton coupons this time... I was not broke as a joke both times.....~

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:47am
post #10 of 20

No, No if you've bought all your pans, pillars, stands etc, then clean them out of the every day supplies. I have two HL within a ten minute drive from me. One stocks a lot and the other is so so. So, I bought the $79.95 stand at the good one for half off, along with all their gum paste. Went to the other and did the same, plus extra colors and so on.

TiffTurtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffTurtle Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:09am
post #11 of 20

gees i wish i were lucky enough to have a place like that were i could get coupons...i know my hubby wishes i was that lucky too. the closest thing to me is a Micheals and thats about an hour away...shoot id drive there if i could get the coupons, but i dont even get them to have the chance **sniff** **sniff**

bush1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bush1 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:18am
post #12 of 20

I usually go and buy all their vanilla, butter flavor, almond, etc. I have about 30 different cake stands and pretty much all of the big things that I'll ever need except the hexagon pans but they don't sell those at my hl. I'm going in the morning so hopefully everything won't be gone. Oh, and I always buy the bags because I use at least 5 or 6 on each cake and of course the chocolate transfers usually require a lot of bag use. Happy Shopping!!!!!

Melvira Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:26am
post #13 of 20

Hey TiffTurtle, usually if you go into Michael's and pick something out, then tell them you forgot your coupon they will honor it and just have you sign a sheet of paper saying you forgot it.

TexasSugar Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:29am
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bush1

I'm going in the morning so hopefully everything won't be gone.

If they are out of something you want, ask for a raincheck! Or find an employee and see if they can look and see if they have the item but haven't had a chance to downstock it yet. icon_smile.gif

I will probably be shopping tomorrow at Michaels. I always use the coupon there since my Michaels carries more then HL and since I'm at the store anyway. Then I may be doing more shopping agian Saturday night. I'm going to by the have to gets tomorrow, then decide on if I want to spend money of a few other things.

mxpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxpark Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:35am
post #15 of 20

melvira - awesome tip!!!! i didn't know that!!! icon_biggrin.gif i'm going to use that all of the time now!!! yay! no more hiding coupons so they don't get thrown away!

TexasSugar Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 4:43am
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Hey TiffTurtle, usually if you go into Michael's and pick something out, then tell them you forgot your coupon they will honor it and just have you sign a sheet of paper saying you forgot it.

This will depend on the store, the cashiers and possible the manager on duty. icon_smile.gif The are not suppose to give the discount with out a coupon but some will do it anyway.

I know my Michaels will accept HL coupons, even the internet ones, but there are many here that have posted theirs will not. If you are unsure ask before you shop, or before you check out just to make sure.

Melvira Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 12:45pm
post #17 of 20

TexasSugar, good point! That's why I said 'usually'! haha! I know our Michael's actually has a form for it, all the cashiers have been instructed that if a customer says they forgot their coupon, have them sign this form. I certainly hope all of you will be that lucky too!!

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 12:50pm
post #18 of 20

Yesterday was my birthday, and my husband got me 2 more cake pans that I needed and the fondant letter/number cutters. I told him about Hobby Lobby's 50% off all week and AC Moore's 50% on Tuesday, but he didn't use either sale!!!! icon_surprised.gif He paid full price for everything!!!!!!! Oh well, I love what he gave me....guess he's not as much of a sale chaser as I am. That's probably because he only buys that stuff like twice a year. I see how much I spend on cake stuff monthly..... icon_rolleyes.gif

Melvira Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 12:58pm
post #19 of 20

Hey coolmom, my DH is like that, won't use a coupon to save his life, it's too much work... so I take his receipt and go back and get myself twice as much stuff! He just laughs at me! Hey... I'm not stupid!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 1:13pm
post #20 of 20

I haven't made it to HL yet but plan on it tomorrow as I am off work. I have one that is about 5 minutes away and another one that is about 25 minutes. Unfortunately neither of them carry as much as the Michaels but I can still get everyday stuff. The Michaels near me will not accept internet coupons and you must have your coupon to get the discount. There is also a JoAnn's close and their stock is pretty good. I have to be careful and not buy things unless I think I am going to use or I would have one of everything. I am still learning so I get excited when I start looking at everything. icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%