I'm So Sick Of That "poof" Of Powdered Sugar From

Baking By LittleLinda Updated 29 Oct 2011 , 11:01am by kaat

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 12:28am
post #1 of 16

Do you have any good tips? I started adding the water to the powdered sugar first and mixing a tiny bit then adding the rest of the ingredients; but I have found a few sugar lumps in my bc after doing that! Any good solutions?

15 replies
Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 12:31am
post #2 of 16

I mix the crisco, water, and flavorings together first. Then I add my sugar. It doesn't seem to poof to much. But, I usually turn it on and stand back!!!! lol

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 12:33am
post #3 of 16

I got a great tip from here a while back, when mixing things in my KA. I use a damp linen towel to put over the mixer, so that the poof of powdered sugar (or flour when I'm making NFSC dough) is caught on the inside of the towel, rather than making a mess on the counter and beyond.

I found a couple of cute towels at the dollar store, and I use them only for this purpose, so I always have a couple in the cabinet when I need to grab one.

hth!
Laura.

SharonZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonZ Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 12:34am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLinda

Do you have any good tips? I started adding the water to the powdered sugar first and mixing a tiny bit then adding the rest of the ingredients; but I have found a few sugar lumps in my bc after doing that! Any good solutions?

Do you sift your powdered sugar? That helps with the lumps. I cream my wet ingredients first, then turn the mixer to low and add the powdered sugar slowly.
Sharon

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 12:45am
post #5 of 16

I use the towel trick too. I saw it on a Martha show one day. Works great!

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 12:46am
post #6 of 16

I hate that poof also. I mix like sweetpeeps and add sugar in 1/3 at a time. I turn the mixer off add the sugar, scrape down the sides, turn the mixer on low. Once all the sugar is added I turn mixer on medium till blended. It takes a little time but not as much as cleaning up all the powder that flies everywhere when I do it the other way!

LittleLinda Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:44am
post #7 of 16

I'll try the damp towel.

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:52am
post #8 of 16

Great idea with the towel trick will have to try that one thanks

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 4:04am
post #9 of 16

Just a question but didn't you all get the pouring shield that came with your mixer? I love it! I mix all the wet ingredients first, put on the pour shield and then I can add the dry ingredients without the poof or the towel. I thought this was standard equipment on the KA???

LittleLinda Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 4:09am
post #10 of 16

Theresa, I'll have to try that shield again ... it seems to me that in the past, it didn't stop the powder from getting all over the counter. I forgot about that. I'll try it again.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 4:11am
post #11 of 16

In the first Wilton class, they teach you to use a towel over the bowl until you get everything incorporated. You could also use your shield if you have a KA. I cream my shortning first, add the sugar on low and then add my liquids. Everyone has their prefered method.

LittleLinda Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 7:27pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcake

Everyone has their prefered method.

And I'm willing to give everyone's method a try!

bizzymomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizzymomma Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 3:07am
post #13 of 16

I have used a towel, and it was moved over like and eigth of an inch too much, got caught in the mixer, and almost busted my mixer, so I use an unscented trash bag, but be careful, if you want to see how, check out my video. You dont get any powdered sugar in the air..aka...your lungs. I hate that!

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 3:45am
post #14 of 16

I use a wet towel too! It works great and really easy!

SweetcakesCT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetcakesCT Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 3:59am
post #15 of 16

I used to use either a damp towel or saran wrap. Now I find that when I add the sugar kinda slowly in the back of the bowl, while I low, it doesn't really poof.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 11:01am
post #16 of 16

I used to use the towel method - still had ps everywhere! One day I tried wrapping my bowl in saran wrap. It worked great! You just have to make sure its tight and I only leave it on until its no longer poofing.
My new KA has a really slow stir that doesn't need anything to stop the poofing It's great!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%