First Time Fondant

Decorating By daisygurlvb Updated 26 Aug 2007 , 1:41am by daisygurlvb

daisygurlvb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisygurlvb Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 1:11am
post #1 of 5

Okay so today I wanted to experiment. My DH made the MMF recipe because he too wanted to see what fondant was like. Well, I must say, it was pretty yummy tasting.

However, it's almost rock solid. Is this normal?? Also, as he was rolling it out, it was very stiff and started cracking. We managed to salvage all but one little corner (see pic below).

Then I thought I'd be a genius and try the rope border. LOL. I should leave that to the professionals hehe. I don't think I had enough spacing between it, so it looks very jumbled.

If you're wondering what the red things are in the corners, they were SUPPOSED to be apples. LOL. Guess I still need some pratice.

Still need to improve on my writing.

All in all, not too shabby. Any pointers on fondant work??
LL
LL

4 replies
kpcrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpcrash Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 1:20am
post #2 of 5

Not bad for a first shot! Do you have a fondant smoother? They can help "rub out" little tears and such. As for MMF getting stiff - possibly too much sugar, or not letting it rest long enough. Either way - nice job.

daisygurlvb Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 1:23am
post #3 of 5

we werent' sure how long to let it set. It sat for 2.5 hours. But we went to use the fondant smoother and it was too hard that it didn't like the smoother.

Will have to try less sugar next time.

Thanks a bunch!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 1:29am
post #4 of 5

Well, the fondant on your cake looks nice and smooth (not looking at the ucooperative corner) which is the goal. The thing you will want to remember is that while working with any fondant you want to minimize the exposure to air. Keep a sheet of saran or plastic wrap ready so when you are not kneeding or rolling it you can keep it covered. That may be why you found it "rock hard."

As for the rope border. (I did see that on your cake) That is one of my favorite borders, especially on a cake for a guy. thumbs_up.gif You don't want more spacing-you want less. If you have the Wilton book it has instructions. Start with a sideways s and go from there. It actually is simpler than it looks. icon_wink.gif

BTW, I did recognize not only the apples, but the acorns as well!! thumbs_up.gif And I've been decorating cakes since '91 and I STILL have difficulty with writing. That is my only weakness.. (see my avatar? No writing!!)

daisygurlvb Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 1:41am
post #5 of 5

That makes sense because we didn't have it covered. Mental note for next time!!

The apples were buttercream, the leaves were fondant. Just used a cookie cutter. That was awesome since I have like NO artistic abilities. If I can get it in a cookie cutter, I can use it lol.

Thank you so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%