Cookie Prices?

Decorating By leily Updated 18 Jul 2005 , 9:39pm by jdogga

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 1:17am
post #1 of 11

I am sure I have seen this somewhere but searched for a few different things and couldn't find it anywhere.

I recently made 3 doz cookies for work (one days notice-but I accepted willingly) They were the large comfort grip cookie cutters from Wilton. The 4" circle and heart. It was my basic rolled sugar cookie recipe and buttercream icing. Decorated with a flag motif.

I called the only two places that do it in this area and came up with about $6.00 per cookie. Which would be a total of $216. It was a lot of work, but it still seemed like a lot to me. I was just curious what others would/have charged for this.

The picture of the cookies is in my Album.

Thanks for your time.

10 replies
traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 1:29am
post #2 of 11

Hi. Your cookies look great!!! I do not do cookies very often and kind of get stumped on prices when customers ask. So I asked my nieghbor...who also does cookies and cakes...She said she charges $12.00 per dozen. I think for the work you put into yours...I would ask at least $15.00 a dozen. $216.00 sounds high to me also...and I think I would be scared to tell my customer that price as well!!! Anyway, maybe some others can give you some advice too! icon_smile.gif
traci

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 1:42am
post #3 of 11

$216 would surely scare me lol.. I think about $12-$15 a dozen would be the going price too.

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 3:34am
post #4 of 11

wow at the price you wont get any business if your that high. id say any where from 12-15 dollars a doz.i charge about 10 a doz. just depends on what im doing and who its for.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 4:30am
post #5 of 11

I really liked your cookies. When I do them I charge $25.00 for seven if they are in a cookie bouquet and if they are just on a try I charge $25.00 for a dozen. Just like cakes, don't set your prices too low or you won't make any money on them! They take time to do also. Good luck and hope this helps!

Charlotte

magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 5:08am
post #6 of 11

i do cookies alot and i charge $1.75/cookie.. and thats bagged and ribboned... for large ones i charge $3.00/cookie

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 5:18am
post #7 of 11

i definetly think you should charge 20-25 dollars for those
they look very pretty and quite labor intensive

AShiana

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 5:35am
post #8 of 11

i sell alot of decorated cookies, but i sell them around the holidays and they are decorated sugar cookies in a cellaphane bag and tied with a bow and they are $2.00 a piece. my customers love them and i make some money. i would not get business if i sold them for more, and wouldnt make any money if i sold them for less. also what part of the country you live in determines it too. the bakeries that sell cookies for $6.00 apeice, must have a different clientel that has the money to pay 6.00 maybe rich people or business events? i would love to make that much.....but not in my area.
good luck. sorry, forgot, ...did you make cookies first then have to come up with a price? i would mention a price first, because they may be shocket at asking even 2.00 a piece because that would be 24.00 (versus the 216) but people seem to think we whip cookies/cakes out of thin air. haha
good luck, and let us know what you get paid, now we're courious.
melody

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 5:58am
post #9 of 11

I charge the following. For cookies that I use cutters for. If I hand cut them, which I have (see my photos, bras & panties and snails and mushrooms) I charge more up to $3.00 each.

Plain: icing only and a one letter monogram $1.25 each or $15 per dozen

Fancy: up to 3 colors $1.75 each or $21 per dozen

Very fancy: more than 3 colors $2.25 each or $27 per dozen

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 9:28pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks for your responses. I really appreciate it. I ended up charging $40.00, at a discount because it is work. I told the boss that I gave them a discount this time b/c I was already making up more for other parties. So they don't expect it to be cheaper everytime.

But I was thinking of charging at least $24.00 a dozen. Then $2.50 per cookie. So that is pretty close to some pricing of others here.

It was a lot of work, expecially since I ran out of 3 ingredients while making them and had to run to the store. But I would have been out anyways, it jsut made it more frustrating with a big order like that. Thank goodness the grocery store is only 5 mins away-and open 24 hrs!!

Again, thanks for everyones response I really appreciate it. Pricing can be so hard sometimes! I don't take a loss on anything I do, but I want to make a profit, and of course I dont' want to over charge or I won't get anymore orders.... it's such a fine line.

jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 9:39pm
post #11 of 11

I know this has nothing to do with pricing but...I made some cookies today for a work function too...I work at a Kitchen Company so I am decorating them as little cabinets! I made a sugar cookie recipe that I found on the food network website and the dough was EXTREMELY hard to work with! Does anyone have a good recipe for sugar cookies that is easy to roll and cut into shapes?? If you do, please send it to [email protected]
thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%