Do I Need....

Decorating By daisygurlvb Updated 25 Aug 2007 , 3:35pm by CarolAnn

daisygurlvb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisygurlvb Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 5

I'm going to be using fondant for the first time today. I've got the MMF recipe and all my stuff. I am going through the Wilton Celebrate Fondant book for some basic ideas...While there it mentions to use Gum-Tex.

For all my fellow CCers out there..my question to you is, Do I Need Gum-Tex and what the heck is it??

I know Wilton has a way of getting you to use 10x more products than you really NEED so I just wanted to verify before I buy unnecessary products.

Thanks guys!!

4 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 5

gum-tex is a powder you can knead into fondant to make it dry harder and faster. It's generally used for pieces you make ahead of time, like figurines or bows. It's not for use on the fondant you actually cover the cake with.

I've used it a few times and not seen a lot of difference in the result.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 5

You don't need to use gumtex in MMF. I've made MMF with marshmallows, water and powdered sugar.

daisygurlvb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisygurlvb Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 5

So I can for-go (sp?) it when I'm just playing with it to make basic shapes with cookie cutters?

Whew!~ hehhe

Thanks so much!!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 5

I was wondering what gum-tex was for myself. Have fun with the MMF. It's delish on straight from the oven butter cookies. Yum!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%