When Should I?

Decorating By jennifer293 Updated 26 Oct 2006 , 12:38am by vww104

jennifer293 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer293 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:04am
post #1 of 11

Ok I have cupcakes dues on Thursday, a cake due on Friday and 3 cakes due on Saturday (which won't be eaten until Sunday).

I was planning to make the cupcakes on Wednesday and I was wondering would it be ok if I went ahead and made the others and wrapped them in plastic wrap and left them on the counter till time to decorate? I don't like to freeze them, it tastes gross to me and I am trying to make a name for myself right now. Can't do that with gross tasting cakes!!

Or would it be better to go ahead and decorate them so the buttercream can lock in the moisture?

I DON'T KNOW..PLEASE HELP!!

10 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:14am
post #2 of 11

I don't think you can make them that far ahead without freezing them. If you are going to cover them with fondant you could probably make them 2 days prior to them being eaten. Fondant preserves cake fairly well.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:27am
post #3 of 11

In one of the books I had it said you should brush each layer of cake with a syrup (flavored or plain karo) to keep moisture in and then wrap in saran wrap and place in the refrigerator. I did this with a wedding cake that I needed to make on Thursday to be served on Saturday. I made a raspberry liquor syrup and that cake was super moist and super yummy...

Good luck! Oh, and frosting a cake too far in advance to me tastes yucky as the oils of the cake seep into the cake and start to give it a weird texture/flavor.

Melissa

jennifer293 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:33am
post #4 of 11

Thanks a bunch I have some karo syrup..I will give that a try..I don't know why in the world I booked so many cakes for this weekend I am still a NEWBIE. At least I am getting paid for them ALL!!!

berryblondeboys Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:03am
post #5 of 11

You might want to look up the syrup "recipe" as I don't think you just brush plain karo syrup... I'm sure if you do a search someone can help... karo syrup is too heavy by itself I would guess.

Melissa

berryblondeboys Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:35am
post #6 of 11

OK, found this from a few days ago about the syrup:

"a simple syrup is equal parts sugar and water, heat till all the sugar is melted, (do not let it come to a boil.) cool and place in squeeze bottle. Simple and easy."

Melissa

jennifer293 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 11

thank you!! I will give it a try!! icon_biggrin.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 11

If properly wrapped in plastic wrap, you can freeze your cakes without any effect on the taste or texture. I am constantly freezing the cakes I make with leftover batter, and when I take them out to decorate, you'd never know they had been frozen.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 10:43pm
post #9 of 11

Same here as GeminiRJ, I have frozen some in the past and haven't had any problems with them, I wrap them in wax paper, then saran wrap and finally in foil, 3 coats of different papers to make sure no taste/odor will get to it. I wouldn't feel comfortable baking Wednesday when it is supposed to be eaten on Satuday, just MHO. Good luck

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 10:50pm
post #10 of 11

I use Torani Italian Syrups (so many flavors. and I use a spray bottle not brush. I think the spray bottle give it an even application.)..

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 12:38am
post #11 of 11

I am also a fan of freezing, especially when you need multiple cakes in a short amount of time. After wrapping good, try the ziploc 2 gallon freezer bags which are sized 13x15 and are big enough to hold most cakes safely in the freezer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%