Ice Top In Two Different Colors Of Buttercream?

Decorating By lrstone98 Updated 8 Feb 2012 , 6:23pm by Debbye27

lrstone98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrstone98 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 7

I want to ice the top of this cake and frame it out with another color of buttercream. I have seen this done very nicely on here before and can't figure out how to do it and make it look neat. Any ideas? I wish I could find a picture of what I am talking about, I didn't see one yet though.

6 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 7

My suggestion is to use the upside down method. Do the center first, chill till firm then do the frame. Here's a link to the upside down method.

http://www.cakecentral.com/article6-Upside-Down-Icing-Technique-for-Perfectly-Smooth-Icing.html

aminaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminaz Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 7

i want to make a topper of the bride and grooms initials from fondant and then paint it silver.any advice on how to do it? how long should it dry? how should i assemble it on a cake and make it stand firmly?

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 7

mix in 1 tsp tylose, or gum trag or other gum thickener to 1 lb of fondant for added strenth and quicker hardening. When I did this I rolled the modeling paste into long thin sausages and formed the letters that way. Others roll it out and cut them out with a knife, cutter or other method. For the sausage version, poke a small hole with a toothpick into the bottom of the letters in 1 or two places (depending on how many "anchors" you want to put in). Fill the holes with a dab of gum glue, royal icing or other adhesive. Take some thick floral wire and make a very small hook in one end. Insert the hook into the letter. Dry on styrofoam in the oven with the light on. It should be dry in 24 hours if rolled about 1/4 inch. It will take longer for thicker letters. To insert them into the cake, first insert cocktail straws of coffee stirrers. Then insert the wire into the straws. For the flat method I'd suggest using royal icing adhere skewers or lollipop sticks to the back. To paint silver mix luster dust with a clear alcohol and paint with a soft brush.

aminaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminaz Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 7

omg!
thanks for the advice!i'm very grateful and thanks for explaining the method to me

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 7

Marking for link . . . .

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 7

thanks for the tuturial!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%