Does This Even Exist?

Decorating By hmarie_73 Updated 21 Aug 2007 , 6:23pm by Sandi4tpc

hmarie_73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hmarie_73 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 15

I made a cake for a customer and she wants to reorder from me but wants to know if I have something less sweet (Used a buttercream equal butter and crisco). She really likes whipped cream frosting. But she wants it super smooth, so I was thinking I would "viva" or "melvira" it...

So my questions are:

1)Is there a crusting whipped cream frosting?

2)If so, does anyone wan to share their recipe?

3)If not, is there a Whipped Cream Buttercream that crusts?

4)If so, does anyone have a tired and true recipe they would like to share?

5)Or any other ideas woudl be great!!!!

TIA

14 replies
southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 15

I wonder if adding meringue powder to a whipped cream icing would work???

Botanesis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Botanesis Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 15

I don't know of a crusting whipped cream, but I do know that it works really well with a hot knife. Smooth it out as much as possible, then dip your knife in really hot water, making sure to dry off ALL the water, then go over it. It makes it super smooth.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 15

You might want to suggest SMBC which is definitely less sweet and very creamy and smooth tasting.....reminds me of whipped cream because of the high fat content...
You can easily make it glass smooth by putting it in the freezer for about 10 minutes and then scraping it smooth with a bench scraper...works like a charm...I use that method on any SMBC cakes I do..it also pipes very well.

It is great for transportation as well because you can keep it in the fridge...the icing becomes hard like butter in the fridge does...will soften in a matter of a few hours ..so just before I deliver the cake, I take from the fridge..

Just a thought...always trying to promote SMBC..lol icon_biggrin.gif

GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 15

I'm sorry but what is SMBC?

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannieJ

icon_biggrin.gif

icon_redface.gif Swiss Meringue Butter Cream

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneK

You might want to suggest SMBC which is definitely less sweet and very creamy and smooth tasting.....reminds me of whipped cream because of the high fat content...
You can easily make it glass smooth by putting it in the freezer for about 10 minutes and then scraping it smooth with a bench scraper...works like a charm...I use that method on any SMBC cakes I do..it also pipes very well.
It is great for transportation as well because you can keep it in the fridge...the icing becomes hard like butter in the fridge does...will soften in a matter of a few hours ..so just before I deliver the cake, I take from the fridge..

Just a thought...always trying to promote SMBC..lol icon_biggrin.gif

Really? I haven't tried SMBC or IMBC and want to. Would you PM me your SMBC recipe? I'm imagining BC and following your advice...and having the BC scrape off!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 5:35pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannieJ

Swiss Meringue Buttercream

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 15

I have a question about SMBC. Can it be made a couple of days ahead of time and stored in the fridge, or does it have to be used immediately after making it?

Photomommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Photomommie Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 5:47pm
post #10 of 15

Is there a recipe out there for SMBC?
If so can someone PM me with it, I would be so greatful, I keep hearing BC is to sweet (for my Family)!?

TIA

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 5:48pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

Really? I haven't tried SMBC or IMBC and want to. Would you PM me your SMBC recipe? I'm imagining BC and following your advice...and having the BC scrape off

My recipe is in grams etc (so you would need a scale) which I will send once I get home from work if you like but I will send you the link to Martha Stewart's recipe for SMBC which is in cup measurements...
http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.fc77a0dbc44dd1611e3bf410b5900aa0/?vgnextoid=a70acf06cd80f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default

My advice is to use the icing when it is fresh and don't put it in the fridge before your cake is iced...(same day) because it is a bit tricky to get it fluffy and soft without leaving it out for quite a while or putting it in the micro (can be problematic..I know..lol)
An example of smoothness you can get with scraper.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=431043

I highly recommend it...BUT try it with cake...not straight from the bowl or you may find it too buttery...but with cake it is heavenly IMHO.

Any questions, fire away...

chanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanda Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:00pm
post #12 of 15

Hi, I was reading through this. I use imbc (very yummy), but it is hard for me to keep it smooth. I just read Jane's reply about smoothing the smbc. I would really appreciate it if you would give me more details. What is a bench scraper. ? Your icing does not get too hard to manipulate after even freezing it for only 10 min? I am making a wedding cake soon and she wants smooth icing Thanks

hmarie_73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hmarie_73 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:16pm
post #13 of 15

I dont know if I am ready to make SMBC or IMBC...sounds harder than reg BC ...Does anyone know whci BC recipe taste the least sweet? It makes me laugh...all the recipes have the same ratio of sugar to fat...2 lbs sugar...2 cups fat...frosting IS SUGAR so how do they expect it not to be sweet?????

Sandi4tpc Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:18pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneK

Quote:
Quote:

Really? I haven't tried SMBC or IMBC and want to. Would you PM me your SMBC recipe? I'm imagining BC and following your advice...and having the BC scrape off

My recipe is in grams etc (so you would need a scale) which I will send once I get home from work if you like but I will send you the link to Martha Stewart's recipe for SMBC which is in cup measurements...
http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.fc77a0dbc44dd1611e3bf410b5900aa0/?vgnextoid=a70acf06cd80f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default

My advice is to use the icing when it is fresh and don't put it in the fridge before your cake is iced...(same day) because it is a bit tricky to get it fluffy and soft without leaving it out for quite a while or putting it in the micro (can be problematic..I know..lol)
An example of smoothness you can get with scraper.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=431043

I highly recommend it...BUT try it with cake...not straight from the bowl or you may find it too buttery...but with cake it is heavenly IMHO.

Any questions, fire away...

I'll "hold out" for your tried and true recipe! I have a scale and I know how to use it! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

Sandi4tpc Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:23pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmarie_73

I dont know if I am ready to make SMBC or IMBC...sounds harder than reg BC ...Does anyone know whci BC recipe taste the least sweet? It makes me laugh...all the recipes have the same ratio of sugar to fat...2 lbs sugar...2 cups fat...frosting IS SUGAR so how do they expect it not to be sweet?????

This is the one I use and I really like it. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2356-Decorators-Buttercream.html
There was another post/thread a week or so back that talked about using store brand powdered sugar helping the frosting to be a bit less sweet [I use store brand] and it's because it tends to have cornstarch in it--check the label.
HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%