My L.a. Adventure!

Decorating By KayDay Updated 15 Jul 2005 , 12:23pm by stephanie214

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 13

I am sure everyone who reads the forums regularly is sick to death of hearing about my L.A. trip. But I just HAVE to share! You might remember how distressed I was about whether to bake here at home and ship or to bake there and not know if I was going to have enough kitchen to do it in. Well I finally decided to bake here and God am I glad I did! There was no where near enough room there!

After I got there and somewhat recovered from the jetlag I started to work...I was using RBC...I don't know if it was a bad batch or the altitude or what...but it was a total flop and kept wrinkling up and just about falling off the cake! So I go out and get reg fondant after locating a decorators shop in LA. And come back and set about it again...it goes GREAT and is one of the smoothest cakes ever so naturally I went to move it and tilted it and bashed the top against a cabinet. I had a raging case of PMS and my ankles were swollen and I am crying. I tear the top tiers fondant off and redo it..it is looking nice again..then the ribbon I brought with me is too narrow ( I had TOLD the bride it was but she wanted dainty until she saw it) so the scramble for ribbon is ON. We locate one everyone is happy with. Then I take out my 3 gorgeous gumpaste roses I am going to paint with silver luster dust and after making them look as close to perfect as I ever get....and they are dry and I start to put them on the cake...someone startles me and I drop the one big open rose ( hence the 2 small ones on the cake, I didnt replace the big one).

So cake is finally done and I send someone to deliver it to the Ritz...then when I get to the reception...some limp wristed decorator who works with their coordinator has covered my cake with like 20 live roses and 10 huge spidery looking fuschia flowers, you cant even SEE the cake! He lisps that it was pretty but 'Oh so plain" and he ASSUMED the bride would want it more fru-fru! I tell him nicely that the bride wanted SIMPLE, CLASSIC and ELEGANT..and above all NO fru-fru!She specified ONLY the dragees and ribbon and the two silver roses ( 3 originally) SO I tear off what he has put on and get it back to semi-normal....as they are coming in for the reception and trying to keep the paparazzi out....then realize the cake has been either frozen or really chilled since that morning when I sent it and is coming to room temp and sweating like heck..!!!! Oh..well...LOL...they were happy...and it is OVER!!! And the highlight of the trip for me an autographed chefs jacket from food network with Emeril's signature and BAM! written under it! HEHE..I'llpost a pic of it later!

12 replies
peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 13

Wow what a story! I guess the morral of the story is never let your cake out of your site.... and don't let fru-fru decorators anywhere near it!!!!! Turned out great!!! Congrats!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 13

The cake looks beautiful, I really like the roses. thumbs_up.gif

This is the first I've read about your LA trip, whose wedding was it?

KayDay Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 12:22am
post #4 of 13

His name is Rob Hall ( maker of special effects for Buffy and Angel) as well as deuce bigalow european gigolo and tons of music videos...he has worked on LOTS of movies ...the bride is Bobbie Sue Luther ..an actress/model..who has done playboy and stuff mags as well as womans worls and star trek bit parts and several movies and magazines.

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 12:31am
post #5 of 13

Facinating, how did it come about for you to make their cake?

KayDay Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 7:25am
post #6 of 13

He is a relative actually...lol. I didn't want to seem to be bragging too much...so I hadn't mentioned it b4.

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 10:46am
post #7 of 13

Thank goodness you rescued it from those spidery looking flowers and the limp-wristed decorator!!!

It really, really turned out nicely! You did a great job and even with all the stree involved--it looks wonderful!

I still can't get over that topper, though. I mean, I know why he did it--being a special effects guy and all--but I think it's the blod on the bride's dress that gets to me.

VERY cool that you did such a high-profile cake! Congrats on it turning out so very awesome!

Lisa

KayDay Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 10:48am
post #8 of 13

Thanks Lisa! Yeah it is a little creepy...hehe The topper I mean. NOTHING at this wedding was traditional though. I truly had a ball even though it was a tough one! icon_biggrin.gif

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 10:48am
post #9 of 13

KayDay. that is really cool. How cool too if you became the next most wanted cake decorator to the stars icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

KayDay Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 10:52am
post #10 of 13

Thansk Joshsmom! I don't know about the most wanted...lol..but I hope to someday be good enough for that to happen!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 10:53am
post #11 of 13

Don't you just love it when some people step in a think they're doing the bride a favor when in fact you had actually decorated the cake exactly to the brides specifications?? lol .. I'm just glad you were able to fix the cake before the bride and people there doing photography took pictures of it .. the cake was beautiful btw icon_smile.gif sorry you had to go through so much with it and I'm glad it turned out so well icon_smile.gif

KayDay Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 10:57am
post #12 of 13

Yeah, ntertayne..I truly thought he was overstepping his boundaries by doing that to my cake...and normally I am so polite and out of the way...but I got SO mad when I saw it! I was more than a little rude! And yes, I am OK with how it turned out. icon_biggrin.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 12:23pm
post #13 of 13

Very happy for you kayday and your cake is beautiful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%