This Cake Really Had Me Second Guessing =O(

Decorating By noosie Updated 27 Aug 2007 , 3:46pm by crislen

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 24

I received a request from my husband's co-workers for this cake for their supervisor who is turning 50. At first I jumped at the chance thinking this was going to be fun and a great cake to add to my portfolio. Originally I thought it was for their small group of about 10 but found out it was in fact for about 40.

The cake is a replica of the supervisor's 68' Chevelle. It ended up being 20" x 9" and weighing about 20-25 lbs. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

The planning, measuring and baking alone took me one day. The carving, shaping and decorating took me 18 hours icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif The next dilemma was making a secure stand that would elevate the cake without shifting the balance and toppling over. At one point I looked at my husband and asked if they had a plan b and started balling my eyes out. What was I thinking..... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I had a real moment of panic and completely felt beyond overwhelmed and turned off from cakes and decorating. I finally finished it at 3:30 Friday morning and couldn't wait to deliver it and be done.

Sorry so long but this cake really got me questioning a lot of things. icon_redface.gif

Here is a pic of my 2 day menace:
LL

23 replies
jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 24

icon_eek.gif wow that is wonderful! You did a fantastic job and I can see that you did put all of your time into that cake!!!!

It's great!!!! I am so amazed that it is cake icon_lol.gif I wouldn't want to touch it, because it looks so good! I bet you were glad to deliver and let the responsibility of it's safe keeping end!!

annlou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annlou Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 24

In spite of it all the cake turned out great! Good job! LouAnn

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 24

I like your cake, and next time it will take you less and less time

bakenboi29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakenboi29 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 24

I think you did a good job. All of your stress paid off. Your husband's supervisor should be very pleased. I don't see anything to worry about.

namaman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
namaman Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 12:51pm
post #6 of 24

You did a great job with it. I know how frustrating it can be working that long on a cake, but your efforts definitely show. The first time you undertake such a task, it always will take you the longest... I am sure you now know some time-saving techniques that will help you when you do something like this again!

delicious_designs7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delicious_designs7 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 12:54pm
post #7 of 24

I am really glad that this worked out for you. I tried to do something similar for my dad, and after 8 hours of working on it, I gave up and started something else because I ran out of time. Yours looks GREAT!

alwayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alwayscake Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 12:55pm
post #8 of 24

Really awesome work! So much details!

How did you do the wheel? It looks so real! If you do not mind sharing your tips, I have to do a car as well for next week, and right now have second thoughts about doing it.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 12:57pm
post #9 of 24

That cake looks amazing! I'm sorry you had such a hard time with it, but it's the challenges in life that keep things interesting! And if you never challenged yourself you'd never know how much you can accomplish! I'm sure the cake was a huge hit!! Jodie

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 1:02pm
post #10 of 24

Stunning cake!!! I bet they really loved it...and don't you hate those moments when you just want to give up...I have those ALL of the time lol

noosie Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 1:05pm
post #11 of 24

Thanks all. It is a community like this that understand the true passion put into each and every cake and the disappointment when things don't go as planned. Thank you all for your kind words.

alwayscake- the wheels were rice krispie treats covered in black fondant and I used a regular fondant cutter wheel to achieve the tread marks.

If i can help you in any other way fell free to pm me should you decide to go forward with you car cake. I think the sheer size of mine is what gave me so much difficulty.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 1:11pm
post #12 of 24

WOW! It turned out just GREAT ! He is going to LOVE it.... I hope your Hubby gets a raise ! icon_lol.gif All kidding aside, you did a beautiful job..... one that I wouldn't even attempt !

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 1:18pm
post #13 of 24

That is awesome! I've had that same middle-of-cake project, "oh my goodness what have I gotten myself into?" panic. But it's all about the finished product, and yours looks great! So, stop questioning yourself, girl - you've proved yourself! Hope you can get some rest this weekend - you've earned it!

Bec

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 1:23pm
post #14 of 24

Wow. icon_surprised.gif That is a beautiful job! thumbs_up.gif

Sorry you were so stressed out about it, but it turned out great. I bet they were thrilled. I know the men in my life would love a cake like that.

noosie Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 9:28pm
post #15 of 24

Hello again, some of you have asked for some tips or pointers. These are a couple of things that I did:

As mentioned before rice krispie treats covered in fondant for wheels.

Windows placed first then roof then body was the order for covering the car in fondant. If the model car was all the same color, I think I would have preferred rolling out one big piece of fondant and covering it in one shot. I feel it would have been a neater.

The platform was built to elevate the body of the car to provide room for the wheels. The wheels alone wer about 3 1/2" in diameter.

HTH

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 9:34pm
post #16 of 24

This cake is incredible! I can understand how it took you so long-the details are amazing. I'll bet the super was in awe and disbelief that anyone could replicate his baby. This is just fabulous!!! WOW!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 4:17am
post #17 of 24

icon_eek.gif I am truly amazed and so impressed by the detail and workmanship on that cake. You should be proud. I hope someday I can make a work of art like that!!!

I would tell you to take a bow but would not want you to put your face in your bowl of icing or hit your head on your keyboard.... lol

dupart30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dupart30 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 6:33pm
post #18 of 24

wow very nice thumbs_up.gif

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:16am
post #19 of 24

WOOHOO !!!noosie that is fabulous - you should be so proud of yourself for pushing through & creating such a wonderful cake thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
When you have fully recovered, I would love to know how you got the shape etc ( did you have a photo of the car ? ) thankyou icon_biggrin.gif

noosie Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 12:53pm
post #20 of 24

Thanks jules06! I actually had about 6 or so pictures of the actual car to use as guidelines. They were about 8x11 each so I could see as much detail as possible.

The basic shape was a Capital "I" 20" x 9". Then I used carved curved shaped pieces to form the roof. From that point it was trying to place the fondant in the right spots to achieve the right proportions as best I could.

I spent a few hours alone measuring and coming up with the best possible proportions for the scale size I was going for.

HTH

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:22pm
post #21 of 24

Thats brilliant. Well done you

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 11:36pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by noosie

The next dilemma was making a secure stand that would elevate the cake without shifting the balance and toppling over.

Do you mind me asking what type of stand you ended up making? It looks absolutely fantastic!!

and a Chevelle... lol. My friend is in love with those cars icon_smile.gif

noosie Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 3:20pm
post #23 of 24

Hey Crislen,

I put the actual cake on a piece of foam board wrapped in foil that was cut in the shape of a capital "I". This was then glued onto a narrow styrofoam brick about 18" long by 6" wide. The foam brick had to be narrower to allow room for the wheels. This structure was then put on top of 2 foam boards taped together and wrapped with foil.

HTH

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:46pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by noosie

Hey Crislen,

I put the actual cake on a piece of foam board wrapped in foil that was cut in the shape of a capital "I". This was then glued onto a narrow styrofoam brick about 18" long by 6" wide. The foam brick had to be narrower to allow room for the wheels. This structure was then put on top of 2 foam boards taped together and wrapped with foil.

HTH

What a great idea! Cool, thanks icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%