Am I Wrong On This Price?

Decorating By keonicakes Updated 16 Aug 2007 , 9:07pm by bafishr

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 7

Thanks for taking the time with this question. I've been asked to make a gambling theme cake for an elderly lady. (designer purse with gambling items spilling from it and some stacks of cash to go with it.) I quoted $120 for it (30 servings). I'm using edible images for the $ stacks for which will cost $10.00 for a sheet that I can fit 4 bills on. When I told my customer the price, he said, how much for a 3D stacks of cash cake? I told him it would be more because I would need several sheets of the edible images. Should my price be lower or can I come up with a more cost effective way of doing this cake? The cake is strawberry daqueri with cream cheese frosting. Thanks for your help on this one.
Amy

6 replies
baergarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baergarivera Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 7

keonicakes,

I think that price is reasonable. I have seen people charge much more for the cake. have you seen ace of cakes in the food network they did one really cute one i am sure that the cake was for alot fo mula$$$$.

make sure to post your pic. and GOOD LUCK icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif
Michelle

Shaela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaela Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 7

That's only $4 per serving... if my math is correct. I think that is reasonable for the kind of cake requested. Never feel bad charging for your skill... Can't wait to see the pics!

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 7

I think your price is good. Your going to have a lot of fondant going onto this cake, as well as the edible images. That's only $4 per serving for a custom carved cake. If you think you'll lose the order with that price, tell her you'll discount to $3.50 per serving ($105), but you'll have to leave out the money stacks (maybe use chocolate coins spilling out instead). Good luck... I can't wait to see a pic, it sounds really cool!!

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 7

thanks guys for helping me with this, I so appreciate it. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to post pics. in a few months since the changes. For some reason, it's not compatible with mac computers.

bcortez01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcortez01 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 7

Your way reasonable!!!! I charge $3.50 serving for fondant! There not only asking for fondant, there asking for a carved cake. Which is wayyyyyy more. I charge $5.00 serving for carved cake, it so much more work than regular cakes.

People just think, because were home bakers that we would charge way less than if they ordered it from a bakery. And we are! But, they can't expect to pay hardly anything on a cake! It takes time, & planning for all this.

So, w/that rant. LOL... I say "The Price Is Right!" LOL

bafishr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bafishr Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 7

bcortez, you are too funny icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%