How Do I Make A Pillow Cake?

Decorating By sami21 Updated 5 Apr 2011 , 1:02pm by rdom

sami21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sami21 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:40am
post #1 of 19

I've asked someone from this site for instructions, but I guess they're busy. icon_cry.gif
Does anyone have instructions on how to make a pillow cake covered in mmf. Instructions don't have to be elaborate, just simple.
Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

18 replies
bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:45am
post #2 of 19

Here's a link to a thread that has the instructions in it. HTH!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cak.....26219.html

sami21 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:55am
post #3 of 19

I'm getting a "File doesn't exist" message.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 2:07am
post #4 of 19

Try this post from adven68: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-26219.html They are pretty easy to make. I used the instructions from Lindy Smith's Storybook cakes for the the one that I did.

sami21 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 1:18pm
post #5 of 19

Oh ya! Okay....were you trying to scare me or something????? icon_surprised.gif
That cake is way beyond me.

She mentioned baking a cake with a high dome for the pillow. How do you do this on purpose? I usually aim for a flat top. icon_confused.gif

I just looked at your pillow cake missyek and WOW! It's gone into my fav's.

missyek Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 19

Thank you! I'm a flat top kinda gal too... icon_lol.gif It is against my nature to purposely make a dome!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I just started with a 2-layer square cake, froze the cake for a bit, then carved the edges to make the extreme points and slopes. Let me know if you want detailed instructions that I follwed and I'll be glad to share them. icon_biggrin.gif

sami21 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 19

Yes, thanks!

[email protected]

You are too cool! icon_cool.gif

I'm off to the library to check out some cake books.

missyek Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 19

Well, if you are going to the library, see if they have Lindy's Storybook Cakes. Those are the instructions I followed. If they don't have it, let me know and I'll send you stuff!

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 2:43pm
post #9 of 19

missyek-your pillow cake has been in my favorites for a long time now! My question is this....I get the carving of the 8 in square, but when it comes to covering it with fondant is where I start to freak out icon_eek.gif How do you get the bottom half of the pillow covered? Or do you just drape a really big piece of fondant over the whole thing and smooth? icon_confused.gif I hope my question makes sense, sometimes I have a hard time actually writing out what my brain is thinking! icon_lol.gif

sami21 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:09pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyek

Well, if you are going to the library, see if they have Lindy's Storybook Cakes. Those are the instructions I followed. If they don't have it, let me know and I'll send you stuff!

I just went to the library and they open at 1pm, so I'll have to go back later.
I searched the library's database and they didn't seem to have "Lindy's Storybook Cakes." It's too bad because I'm sure it has many ideas. I just checked Chapters online here in Canada and they don't have it either.

missyek Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:29pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynnb

missyek-your pillow cake has been in my favorites for a long time now! My question is this....I get the carving of the 8 in square, but when it comes to covering it with fondant is where I start to freak out icon_eek.gif How do you get the bottom half of the pillow covered? Or do you just drape a really big piece of fondant over the whole thing and smooth? icon_confused.gif I hope my question makes sense, sometimes I have a hard time actually writing out what my brain is thinking! icon_lol.gif

Ah, that is where I had my problem. In Lindy's book, she does it in two halves. She does one side to the midseam, filps it over and does the other. Then the seam was covered by the rope going around the edge. I tried, and it was not working for me. I kinda screwed up with mine but was able to hide it fairly well. icon_redface.gif But the next one I try, I will roll out the fondant enough to cover the whole thing. Starting to smooth from the top, then flip it over and smooth down the rest and cut off the excess. Does that make sense?

missyek Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:31pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sami21

I just went to the library and they open at 1pm, so I'll have to go back later.
I searched the library's database and they didn't seem to have "Lindy's Storybook Cakes." It's too bad because I'm sure it has many ideas. I just checked Chapters online here in Canada and they don't have it either.

I'll email ya what I have. thumbs_up.gif

lhmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhmoore Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:38pm
post #13 of 19

missyek,

could you email it to me too. I am so glad someone asked this question I have been wondering myself how to do it.

[email protected]

missyek Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:53pm
post #14 of 19

lhmoore and sami21--I'll email them tonight. I'm at work right now and all my stuff is at home.

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:53pm
post #15 of 19

missyek--thanks, that does make sense. I'll let you know when I try it! Right now I'm trying to figure out purse cakes.....pillow cakes are next on my list! icon_biggrin.gif

missyek Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:55pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynnb

missyek--thanks, that does make sense. I'll let you know when I try it! Right now I'm trying to figure out purse cakes.....pillow cakes are next on my list! icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck! I really want to do another one now just for the heck of it and just to see if I cando it better... icon_lol.gif

sami21 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:23pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyek

lhmoore and sami21--I'll email them tonight. I'm at work right now and all my stuff is at home.

I quickly checked my email this morning and noticed my directions came. I didn't get a chance to open it, and I can't seem to access it remotely today.
icon_biggrin.gif I just wanted to say thank you.

missyek Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:47pm
post #18 of 19

You are welcome! icon_biggrin.gif

rdom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdom Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:02pm
post #19 of 19

missyek, could you please email me instructions on how you did that gorgeous pillow cake? I was asked to make one for a sweet 16 birthday for July. thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%