Oh, The Pain...my Mother In Law's Birthday Cake Is Hideous!

Decorating By MissSherry Updated 27 Aug 2007 , 1:14pm by tomsmom245

MissSherry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissSherry Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 13

I tried my hand at doing something "new" this time around. I have been decorating cakes for years using buttercream, occasionally fondant, and that's about it.

She used to order a cake from a bakery called a Chocolate Dobosch/Dobash. I found a recipe for the icing online and went ahead to make it.

Here's the recipe:
***FOR THE FROSTING***
1 1/2 c water
1 c sugar
1/4 ts salt
1/4 c butter
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa
3/8 c cornstarch
1/2 c water

Instructions

For the Frosting: Combine first four ingredients and bring to a
boil. Sift the cocoa and cornstarch together to get the lumps out
and combine with the remaining 1/2 cup water. Add to the boiling
mixture. Bring to a boil again, cool slightly, and then frost.
(Don't let it get too cool, or it will 'set' in the pot!) This is
a nice frosting, it's very smooth, and once it sets, you can't even
ding it up and make it ugly!

Here's the problem - I used Betty Crocker super moist cake mixes in chocolate. I baked them last night, figuring that if they sat out over night they would be firm enough (aka stale!) to slice into layers. WRONG! I had three eight inch layers and...well...the cake was still terribly moist and crumbly.

I made the icing EXACTLY as the instructions stated. It tasted great but has lumps and bumps all in it. There were no lumps in it when I put it together, but as it cooled, it is lumpy. Then I noticed a big hunk of the cake fell off of one of the layers so there is a hole.

I think I am going to cry. Fortunately I have made up several Royal Icing roses and leaves and will try to cover as many of the 'bad spots' as I can. It is her 60th birthday and this is the worst cake I have ever, ever made. But as far as I can tell, it will be one of the very best tasting cakes!!!

I will post pictures when I get finished decorating.

12 replies
omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 13

You poor thing!! And it had to happen with your MIL cake icon_biggrin.gif Out of all people the one that most want to impress... I hope it all turnes out well.
BLESSINGS

MissSherry Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 13

It STUNK. I don't even know if I can post the picture. Of course, the cake tasted like heaven but...*sigh*

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 13

I am so sorry your having such problems with this cake. On the bright side it sounds perfect for my MIL! icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 13

I'm sorry you had this problem. When I make a Doberge cake I use DH Butter Recipe Golden and instead of the directions on the box I use 4 eggs, 1 Cup of Sour Cream and 1/4 Cup Oil. I bake two layers then slice each one in half. I then slice each half in half so I wind up with 8 thin layers.

I don't make my own icing. My local cake supply store carries what they call Chocolate Gloss that you heat in double boiler and a little vanilla then cool slightly and then pour over the cake. I use the chocolate filling in the sleeves and ice the whole cake in chocolate buttercream then pour the gloss over the top. Works like a charm every time.

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 1:41am
post #6 of 13

You know, the first thing that caught my eye about the frosting was that it contains water? Doesn't water cause problems with Chocolate sometimes? I guess it depends on the actual recipe but I've had a drop of water kill my choc frosting...
The cake does sound very yummy!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 5:30am
post #7 of 13

The recipe doesn't have any actual chocolate in it, just cocoa powder. I have had cornstarch-thickened sauces and custards get lumpy sometimes.

Dobosh is yummy, and I am sure that everyone will remember the wonderful taste, not that you had problems with the icing.

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 9:08pm
post #8 of 13

I usually make a dobos torte using a whisked fatless sponge and I bake this as 6 separate shallow layers in round tins. No need then to bother with the torting!

maria892 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maria892 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 3:59am
post #9 of 13

Dobos Torte is Hungarian and I've got to say there is an all out brawl in my family over who gets the most toffee, i.e stealing it from each others plate!! icon_surprised.gif

I have tried to make this once. I figure leave it to the experts. You have to make many thin layers of sponge. Then you have to make the cream which to make it properly is time consuming. Yes you can cheat and use regular chocolate cream but the flavour sensation is not the same.

I love the toffee so I figure just cut out the hard work and just make toffee 'coz THAT'S what everyone scrounges for.!!!

maria892 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maria892 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 4:28am
post #10 of 13

OMG I just had a look on the net to get a traditional recipe for you.
The hungarian recipes don't even have a pan size or oven temp or any direction on how long to cook anything for. icon_confused.gif

They also measur in tenths of a kilogram and tenths of a Litre. being Dkg for deca - gram aaarrggghh!!!!

Anyway, just for the chocolate cream ( and this why I don't make this stuff).....

150gm dark chocolate
1 egg
1 "spoon" of milk - go figure how big you want the spoon to be......(I'd try a tablespoon maybe)
120 grams powdered sugar
200grams butter

And the problem too is you guys in the States talk imperial, not metric....

Back to the cream....

Melt the chocolate (of course over low heat) add the egg and "1 spoon" of milk and cook this mixture to a thick cream consistency.

Add the butter to this off the heat and beat until "bubbly" or frothy I guess. THIS is a lot of beating. I remember my mum beating for ages....

Cool the mixture in the fridge and beat agian until it's frothy.

Spread onto the layers of cake you have baked.

Try this for a little experiment for those of you that have the time and patience. icon_lol.gif

GOOD LUCK thumbs_up.gif

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 4:48am
post #11 of 13

Here is a link to a great and fairly simple recipe for a Dobosh torte. In Kosher circles it is known as Seven Layer cake and this recipe is to die for!! I have one customer who thinks he has died and gone to Gan Eden (heaven)when he eats this cake!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/104023

By the way, I make it round and use 7 8 inch foil cake pans for this cake. Each tin takes a scant 1/4 cup batter.

Have fun,
Kathi

MissSherry Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 11:49am
post #12 of 13

WOW! Thank you for all of the very useful information!

The cake tasted heavenly, but I was thoroughly offended and realized that NO ONE there liked chocolate cake besides me and my kids. I thought she always liked the cake, but apparently not. Anyway, I won't be doing THAT again. icon_mad.gif

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:14pm
post #13 of 13

Oh my gosh! How awful for you! You went to all that trouble and agony and then she doesn't like chocolate cake??? Why on earth would she ever go buy one if she doesn't like it?? SHEEESH!!!

I want to concur with NEWTODECORATING that your cake sounds perfect for my MIL too icon_evil.gif

icon_biggrin.gif Ashlee

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%