I'm Jealous Of My Friend...

Decorating By alicegop Updated 11 Aug 2007 , 6:53pm by camillethecat

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 8

I am very very lucky to have a good friend live close by who also does cakes, I don't know what I would do without her, she has the best ideas and is great at arranging flowers. She just (for fun) made an R2D2 cake (luckily she has a friend who is a big star wars fan whose birthday is coming up) and it is amazing, I don't think I could make anything that good. I don't even attempt the 3D cakes..... sigh..... Is it okay to be so envious? I think I do a good job on my cakes so no false modesty, just bragging about what a great friend I have!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=896873

7 replies
labjac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labjac Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 12:13am
post #2 of 8

I feel for you. I just started making cakes, and as soon as I started getting good at it my over achieving sister tells me she can't wait to make her daughter's next birthday cake because she's going to start making cakes like I do... she can't let me have anything, and she works in the art industry, so she'll probably be more creative/better at it then me right of the get go, not to mention I know she'll just get me to tell her how to make everything that I had to research for months to find out. sigh. I keep telling her I'm willing to make the cake for her but it's a no go...
I think it's ok to be jealous, especially for something that takes so much time and effort. Just remember all the people that never see her cakes probably think your's are amazing, and are amazed at the effort. Take the little victories I guess icon_smile.gif

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 12:19am
post #3 of 8

Yeah, I know what you mean. I just keep trying to get better and better. Someday, you know?

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 12:22am
post #4 of 8

Yeah, I know what you mean. I just keep trying to get better and better. Someday, you know?

Roelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roelle Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 12:28am
post #5 of 8

Well, I just looked at the photo's that the three of you have posted, and they're freakin' amazing!! I'm afraid to even do a sheet cake, let alone themes etc. I haven't had any classes, self taught ... and I'm stuck in a rutt of round cakes. Maybe if I had a class or something I'd be a little more adventurous. But wow ... if I can ever be anything like the three of you ... whoa ... that would be great!!!

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 12:39am
post #6 of 8

I think that you are truly jealous if you tell your friend that her R2D2 looks like a moose ... icon_wink.gif If you haven't had that thought then I say that you have overcome several obstacles AND you are not jealous of your friend -- you're just happy at her accomplishments! icon_biggrin.gif Maybe you guys can tag team for weddings (I used to do that with a friend of mine ... if the wedding was large or challenging, I'd have her do the grooms cake!) By the way ... your cakes are great! icon_biggrin.gif

chefcindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefcindy Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 5:44am
post #7 of 8

OK.. seriously.... I LOVE Alice's cakes.... and I can't make a cookie bouquet to save myself!! icon_eek.gif We DO tag team at weddings, I rely on her all the time.... So... thank you for the comments, Alice, but rest assured I envy your abilities too. Now, go make a C3PO to go with R2D2... and can you make that out of cookies??? icon_cool.gif

camillethecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camillethecat Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 8

Just remember that even those who are really good had to start somewhere. It didn't come automatically - it came with work and practice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%