Help With Football Stadium Cake

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 13 Jul 2017 , 11:46am by cakesbycheryl

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 24

I have seen a few football stadium cakes out there like the link here
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=favpics&cat=0&pos=-56285

I was wondering the best way to go about carving this out. Would I stack then carve out the field or cut apart one layer and add to the top of one layer...do you know what I mean? Thanks for any suggestions. I havent really done any carving yet, so I am nervous!

23 replies
littlesis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlesis Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 24

Don't be nervous. Look at the fact that this is the FIRST step and if you mess up all that is wasted is cake and not valueble time. go with your instinct and, if you need to, draw it out first. Don't sweat

springlakecake Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 24

that is true...thanks! Any other suggestions?

bransmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bransmom Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 24

I am making one on the 21st and I will probably be feeling like you right now. Don't panic. Just take your time and figure it out, so you can let me know. Ha ha, just kidding

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 24

Weeeel, since I am not experienced in carving cakes I'm probably not much help but I did see this stadium cake...check it out http://www.nordicware.com/

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsgranny

Weeeel, since I am not experienced in carving cakes I'm probably not much help but I did see this stadium cake...check it out http://www.nordicware.com/

I can't help you with your carving question, but I did just get that stadium pan. My family is very into football, so I figured it was worth it. Anyway, I haven't used it yet (am planning to tonight), but it is kind of on the small side. If I was going to make it for a bigger group than my family of 4, I would stack it on a sheet cake. But maybe that's just because we like big pieces & multiple servings icon_biggrin.gif I guess it would serve what a normal bundt pan does, but somewhow it looks smaller. I'll post pictures when it's done.

-Lisa

bransmom Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 24

bluehen92: Where did you get the pan? I haven't seen one. I am going to Michaels this afternoon and was just wandering. I have to make one on the 21st and anything that will make it easier, is very helpful. Being that I have 3 cakes to do that weekend and my son has a band competition. Thanks

MsTonyasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTonyasCakes Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 24

I've made that cake before. I used a 9x13 for the field, and the stands were made out of another 9x13 cut lengthwise in 4 strips. Stack 2 on each side and decorate! It's literally THAT easy!! It took me forever to do my first one. I had gone to cindascreativecakes.com and printed one out. She has several different styles. My first one was a year ago now, and in 2 weeks I'll be doing my 4th one! They get easier each time! Just relax and have fun, you'll do great! icon_wink.gif Oh, BTW, I used Nerds candy for my fans, that worked well too!

MsTonyasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTonyasCakes Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 24

Oh, forgot to add, once you stack the "stands", just take a knife and cut it at an angle before you ice it. I haven't done one with the rounded end, mine have been open-ended (like the Clemson field). I'm sure it would be fairly easy to cut a round in half and stick it on the end if that's what the field looks like that you're replicating.

springlakecake Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 7:15pm
post #10 of 24

Thank you!

bluehen92 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 10:04pm
post #11 of 24

bransmom - I got it from JC Penney online. It was $32 on sale last week. I don't know if it's still on sale or not. I think it's a tad smaller than a normal bundt pan, because I used the same recipe I use for my bundt pan & it overflowed a little bit. Not so much that it made a mess in the oven, but the top was bubbled up a little and I got some crusty edges I had to cut off. My cake is cooling right now!

-Lisa

bluehen92 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 10:07pm
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTonyasCakes

I've made that cake before. I used a 9x13 for the field, and the stands were made out of another 9x13 cut lengthwise in 4 strips. Stack 2 on each side and decorate!

That doesn't sound too bad...maybe I'll try that one of these days since it would be "easy" to make a bigger one for a bigger crowd. Thanks for the info thumbs_up.gif

-Lisa

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 11:15pm
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsgranny

how that is cool!!!!!

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 11:39pm
post #14 of 24

I saw it on the weekend on a segment of QVC so you might want to check it out there if it might be cheaper. Best of luck thumbs_up.gif

bransmom Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 12:10am
post #15 of 24

Cool, thanks very much.....I am going to check it out now

bluehen92 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 1:14pm
post #16 of 24

Here is my stadium cake using the Nordicware pan. I didn't have any cake boards icon_cry.gif otherwise I would have done the field area green. The bottom edge is a little rough from trimming off the overflow edges.
LL

springlakecake Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 1:22pm
post #17 of 24

Nice job!

My friend who wants the football cake doesnt want so much cake, so I wont be doing the "stadium" part just yet. Oh well! Thank you all for the ideas though, i hope to do one in the future..maybe fun for a superbowl party or something.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 1:24pm
post #18 of 24

I had been thinking of buying that stadium pan - so after seeing the final product from someone, I had to go on line to buy it.

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 1:44pm
post #19 of 24

Hi Merissa, I have done 2 stadium cakes in the last week or so. It's really easy! I used a 9X13, put a layer of frosting on top and put another 9X13 on top of that. To make the corners oval, I just cut the squared corners off to get an oval shape. Then, I cut the center out of the top layer at an angle for the stands. I took the center out in pieces and trimmed until I had the look I wanted for the stands. Next, I put on a crumb coat all over-it was chocoloate cake, so I made the crumb coat just a little thicker than usual-I hate crumbs!

After that set, I decorated the green for the field with an angled spatula-that was probably the hardest part of all-trying to get a good green rectangle.

After that set, I frosted the stands sections and sprinkled with colored jimmies for the fans. Alot of the "fans" fell onto the field- I pushed them into the frosting on the stands a bit to make them stay better and used a damp finger to pick up the ones that fell onto the field.

I then drew the white lines and numbers on the field. In centerfield, I put the man's age and I put his name in both endzones.

Then I frosted and decorated the sides and borders. I was out of bendy straws for the goal posts, so I used the little straws that come on the kids drink pouches. I folded each into a "[___] " shape-I heated the corners lightly with a lighter to melt them a little so they would stay in that shape- then I trimmed another small piece of straw for the post and again melted the plastic a little so it would adhere to the top part. I worked great!

I used a graham cracker coated in melted chocolate as the scoreboard and wrote "happy b-day___" on that. I glued a couple large toothpicks to the back with melted chocolate and stuck it into one end of the field.

This is a long post, but really, it is one of the easiest cakes I've ever carved! You can do it!!! If you have any questions, PM me. I'd be happy to help!

imakecakes Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 1:53pm
post #20 of 24

Hi again, after I posted that, I saw your post that it would be too much cake.

I wonder if it would work if you scaled it down and used just 1 9X13 and cut it in half, then stacked it. Personally tho', I find it waaayy more difficult to get good results on smaller carved cakes.

springlakecake Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 2:11pm
post #21 of 24

Thanks imakecakes: I still would like to do one someday. Do you have pics of yours?

imakecakes Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 2:42pm
post #22 of 24

I do, but I don't know how to put them on the computer. They're photos, not digital. One of these days, I'm gonna dig myself out of the dark ages!!!!

cakesbycheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycheryl Posted 13 Jul 2017 , 11:41am
post #23 of 24

Ok I'm about to make my first stadium cake and I am following advice  the 9x13 and I am really nervous..hope  turns ..wish  luck!!

cakesbycheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycheryl Posted 13 Jul 2017 , 11:46am
post #24 of 24

Ok I'm about to make my first stadium cake and I am following advice  the 9x13 and I am really nervous..hope  turns ..wish  luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%