Anyone Ever Make A Giant Cookie Cake? 18 X 26 Next Week!

Decorating By ButtercreamCakeArtist Updated 6 Oct 2006 , 12:58pm by ButtercreamCakeArtist

ButtercreamCakeArtist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercreamCakeArtist Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 9

Hello. I'm going to make a giant GIANT cookie cake for twins next week. The total size will be 18 x 26! wow! Of course it will be two 18 x 13's put together. One half is going to be Tinkerbell. THe other half is Hello Kitty. choc. chip! Going to try to do my first fbct!

Anyone else ever do these? Have any luck? Doesn't get too brown on the outside and still raw in the middle, does it? I think it will be fun! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 9

is it going to just be a large cookie decorated like a cake......or a cake made up of layers of cookie and icing?? I would imagine you'd have to cook it at a lower temperature and for a longer period of time.

Teena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teena Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 9

I made a giant cookie this summer. I used a baking stone which I think cooked the cookie more evenly. Also, I think using a pizza pan that has holes in the bottom would help also. I do believe I baked it at a lower temp. No higher than 325.

ButtercreamCakeArtist Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 9

It is going to be an actual cookie. I've seen them done in a shop at the mall, but I never really paid much attention to them. They wanted the cookie instead of cake this year.

I am going to go with a lower temperature. I don't have a baking stone or a holy pan (LOL) -pan with air holes in bottom-. I bought a big 13 x 18 pan that I am going to use--Maybe like a jelly roll or pumpkin roll pan? They want them square (rectangle) instead of round. icon_eek.gif

I think I will make a practice one first~~prob. just half of the real thing, though, which will still be a whole 13x18 size! I like to do that so I can fix any problems before I get to the real thing! My kids will love to eat it! Maybe I'll make it this weekend or early next week. I will let everyone know how it goes. Thanks!

Keep on posting stuff about the giant cookie if you have any experiences or ideas! icon_biggrin.gif happy baking!

steffy8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffy8 Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 1:50am
post #5 of 9

I made an 11x14 (i think) cookie in Aug. (Bratz design in my photos) and had no problems!! It was very good. I thought that I would over cook it but I actually posted questions here and someone said to cook about 15mins then check it. I actually cooked it until I knew the sides were done and hoped it was ok and it was. Kind of embarassed icon_redface.gif though b/c I didn't make it from scratch (I don't make anything from scratch). I bought 4 rolls of "store brand" choc chip cookie dough and preseed it in the pan. No adults could believe that it was cheap cookie dough. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 2:19am
post #6 of 9

Make the whole thing, not half, as practice. Big cookies will make it obvious where the hotspots are in your oven, and you need to know in advance where you'll need to watch and possibly cover with aluminum foil when it bakes far faster than the rest of the cookie. (Clearly if you bake with convection, this doesn't apply.)

fmandds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmandds Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 2:32am
post #7 of 9

I've never made a cookie cake but I have made fruit pizza. I use sugar cookie dough and press it into a 13X18 pan, bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes and its done. I also bake mine on a piece of stoneware which retains some heat so that might help it get cooked all the way through. Hope it works out for you.

kerrbear0924 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerrbear0924 Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 3:25am
post #8 of 9

actually where i work we make Chocolate Chip Bars for the students in a 18x26 sheet pan. And the recipe is the same as the chocolate chip cookies we make. You shouldn't have any problem at all. We bake it in a convection oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes.

ButtercreamCakeArtist Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 12:58pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieBake

Make the whole thing, not half, as practice. Big cookies will make it obvious where the hotspots are in your oven, and you need to know in advance where you'll need to watch and possibly cover with aluminum foil when it bakes far faster than the rest of the cookie. (Clearly if you bake with convection, this doesn't apply.)

I will actually be making two for the real thing and putting them together. I am planning on make one whole 13 x 18 cookie (which would be half, but really a whole) icon_eek.gif
I completely understand what you are saying, though. (But don't know if you know what I'm trying to say/do!) Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%