Strawberry Decadence Cake Report

Baking By PolishMommy Updated 7 Jul 2005 , 3:55pm by PolishMommy

PolishMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PolishMommy Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 4

I just made this yesterday! It was super strawberry-alicious!

I got the recipe from this site:

Cake:
1 (18.25-ounce) box strawberry cake mix
1 (11.5-ounce) can strawberry nectar
3 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Filling:
1 pound fresh strawberries, cleaned
1 cup strawberry jam, divided

I actually couldn't get the nectar at my store, so I used (gasp) water, but it was still great. Don't be afraid to try it if you can't find the nectar!!! I used dream whip buttercream, and that was a hit to...I definately wouldn't use strawberry frosting with this cake. That would be a strawberry overload. Whipped cream would be great too.

My only question/problem was that the cake got too wet from the strawberries in the filling. How should I combat that next time? I assembled it around noon and it was consumed (or should I say DEVOURED?) at 8. I kept it in the fridge until the last 1.5 hours where it was displayed at the party. I also made sure the berries were super dry after rinsing...

Would keeping it refrigerated until the last minute help? How about spreading a thin layer of frosting under the jam and berries on each layer?

Thanks for reading! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 4

Sounds so yummy! I have tried putting a layer of buttercream under my fresh fruit on a cake and it has worked just fine. Also, put a dam of icing around each layer too, before putting on the fruit.

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 4

I fill many of my cakes with fresh sliced strawberries. I use to put a thin layer of BC before putting the strawberries on but I found that the sugar in the BC made the sliced strawberries "juice up" quicker. Now I just do a BC dam fill in with sliced strawberries and fill in holes between strawberries with BC squeezed out of a bad w/coupler & no tip. That way when you cut into it the strawberries and BC sort of mingle and looks pretty too.

I am wondering if the strawberries jam might make it too wet? I know when I do a strawberry shortcake punch bowl cake, I use pound cake with jam between them cut into squares, then layer with french vanilla pudding and fresh strawberries and whip cream and it gets wet fast and messy too but yummy!

I am rambling now...............

bj icon_wink.gif

PolishMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PolishMommy Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 4

That's true, sugar does make fruits juice up, so that's probably a bad idea...I'd try without jam next time, but I haven't had problems with jam-only fillings...

Anyway, it wasn't to the point of being ruined, I just wondered how to minimize it. Also, I just realized...that cake itself is really moist! Maybe try using a little less liquid in the cake. Haha, never had the problem of too moist a cake before!!!

Everyone here always wants super small slices, that makes it harder to cut neat pieces too. I get like 20 or more slices out of a 8" round! With all the food and goodies at our Polish parties, it's hard to have room for the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%