Why Couldn't I Do This?!?

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 8 Aug 2007 , 4:17am by tcakes65

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 17

So today I tried to replicate a cake I did before: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=527573
But ended up with this!!!!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=871493
I am so upset. It is still a cute cake, but not at all what she ordered. I sent her an email with the photo so she can cancel if she needs to, but I just don't understand why I wasn't able to replicate it!
I made it with a softer pink earlier, but it immediately faded into white, so I tried to make it darker, and it is florescent! icon_mad.gif And then the purple turned blue! icon_cry.gif
It is a baaaad cake day. I so hope she doesn't want her money back! icon_cry.gif

16 replies
jenny518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny518 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 17

Oh, it is still cute! I would just mention that the pink coloring got too dark and that's all. (Of course she should still pay!) It's very pretty.
Jenny

summernoelle Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 12:08am
post #3 of 17

Thanks. I softened it up a little bit, and I really like it now that I have calmed down. I hope she will too.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 12:20am
post #4 of 17

It's a beautiful cake, I hope everything works out for you.

xobxsbangelox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xobxsbangelox Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 12:34am
post #5 of 17

also I think the spacing with your lines is different with the second cake...because they are closer together, it might be throwing you off. It still looks great so relax!!

summernoelle Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 2:02am
post #6 of 17

Thanks. I was kind of "flubbing" with the stripes, because I was trying to cover up some flaws, but also, when the fondant turned white, I was trying to add color. I emailed her with photos, but still haven't heard back. I'm afraid when she shows up tomorrow morning that she is going to be really surprised!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 12:52pm
post #7 of 17

it's beautiful!!! And if she wants her money back then she's C R A Z Y !!!

Breathe girlie its AWESOME!!!!

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 1:12pm
post #8 of 17

Your cake is beautiful and you did a wondeful job!!! Don't think anything else! She should love it as well...it is beautiful!

summernoelle Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 11:09pm
post #9 of 17

I got an email from her last night and...she LOVED it!!! I was so relieved. When she came to get it this morning, she was just so happy with it. Yea!!!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 11:55pm
post #10 of 17

You know I actually like the second cake better? Just something about the colors or design that stand out for me.

summernoelle Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 1:29am
post #11 of 17

Shhh...don't tell anyone, but I do too. icon_wink.gif

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 2:04am
post #12 of 17

Oh my!!!! icon_surprised.gif It's beautiful!!! I understand why she loved it.

Great job!!! thumbs_up.gif

tasty_treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasty_treats Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 3:38am
post #13 of 17

I like the second one better too! Well done.

novacaine24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novacaine24 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 11:20pm
post #14 of 17

Another vote for the second cake! I couldn't see why you were upset, I loved it!

summernoelle Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:42pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by novacaine24

Another vote for the second cake! I couldn't see why you were upset, I loved it!

I was upset because it wasn't what she ordered, so I was afraid she wouldn't like it.
And it was one of those days. The fondant kept tearing, when I finally got it together, the pinks bleached to white and the purple turned to blue. I was in a bad mood, which made my kids in a bad mood, which made my DH grumpy. (classic kick-the-dog story). The cake had to be redocarted, BUT, in the end, we were all happy.

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 10:31pm
post #16 of 17

You know a decorated cake is a work of art, not a carbon copy. Each is individual. I would explain this to all clients, your artistic impression is different each time you create. I love both your cakes, they are both beautiful.

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 4:17am
post #17 of 17

I agree. Although you're replicating one of your own cakes, it's nice to make minor alterations to make it unique to each new customer. Both cakes turned out great--you did a nice job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%