Any Good Stores In Atlanta?

Decorating By jastaus Updated 2 Oct 2006 , 3:42am by CakeRN

jastaus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jastaus Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 21

hey I am going to visit Atlanta this weekend and I wanted to see if you guys know of any good cake dec. supply stores around that area. An internet search as only brought up a lot of wilton supply stuff but I don't really want wilton. I am looking for a store where i can get a lot of gumpaste flower cutters and veiners, luster dusts, air brush colors, nice chocolate/ coco butter color, chocoalte molds etc etc. When i was going to schoo in nyc there were so many great stores but now that i'm back home in raleigh nc i can't find anything i need! A lot of time i don't know i need it until its too late to internet order icon_sad.gif.
any help would be great!! Any store on the way from raleigh to atlanta could work as well.
thanks guys!!

20 replies
HunBun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HunBun Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 21

Go to www.nicholaslodge.com!! It is off Interstate 85 Jimmy Carter exit. I am about an hour away from it so I am creating a huge wishlist and plan to spend hours there. I called them and they said they sell their supplies on location as well as online. I asked the woman if they sell luster dust and she said yes - I hope she is correct.

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 21

I live in Atlanta too, I I have not found a good place..I always go to Michaels and whatever I don't find there I order online....Thank you for posting this question..now I know where to go thanks Hunbun!

jastaus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jastaus Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 21

oh my gosh thats great. I thought he was in FL. ok time to hit mapquest and my boyfriend will just have to get over the little detour hahah. thanks so much

angelak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelak Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 21

I live north of Atlanta and there is a little place near me that has more than just Wilton, but I can't wait to try out the other store. Thanks for the great tip! icon_rolleyes.gif

Just visited the website and they have a Grand Holiday Open House- December 2 & 3 with free demostrations. Do you think they would let me hang around for two days? hehe

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 21

I live in Atlanta and there are two cake stores here -one is Nicholas Lodge, but his hours are limited - only open to 5 on Friday and 4 on Saturday, so make sure you plan ahead! His shop is great - lots of great cakes on display in the classroom that you can look at if there's not a class going on. Huge selection of fondant and gumpaste tools and the staff is very knowledgable. I've taken a couple classes there and absolutely love that place, and he's awesome. Yes, that have luster dust, Americolors, and a British brand of color that's really good but I can't remember the name. There's another place called Cake Art that's about 15 - 20 minutes away from Nicholas Lodge but on the north side of town also. That place is huge - all the cake pans and just about anything you could want, but their prices are a bit high, I think, probably cuz they're a specialty store. So is Nicholas Lodge's, but I think his prices are better. The thing is that Cake Art may not have as large a collection of fondant and gumpaste tools (they have some) but they have practically anything else you could think of. You may even want to call ahead and see if they're offering a class on Saturday you might want to take - both places (both are closed Sunday, but I think they may have classes, not sure though). I don't know the exact website, but if you Google Cake Art Stone Mountain, it should come up (it's located on Memorial Drive in Stone Mountain, GA - right off of Interstate 285 - very easy to get to). Let me know if you want some more info - I used to live on that part of town and was in cake decorating heaven by having these two cake shops near me! Now I live on the south side and it's much harder to get there but I still go now and then.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 21

I use both that have been mentioned. I was at Cake Art a couple of weekends ago looking for candy molds and it seems they have even more stuff. Their new site is www.cakeartpartystore.com. I've taken classes there as well. They do have a pretty extensive selection but I also find the some of the prices a little high. But it depends on what it is. I got my candy mold for $2 and that was cheaper than I expected. They do have many extracts/flavorings, tips, pans, boards/boxes, colors (wet and dry), gumpaste/fondant tools, etc. Check out the site.

Nicholas Lodge's store does have luster dusts, that's where I've got all of mine because the prices are better - $2.95. Boxes/boards are cheaper there too. It's not too big but they do pack quite a bit. And like Pyxxy said, the hours aren't as long so just check before you go.

I hear there is another place on the south side of town in Morrow....I'll have to check the name again but I haven't been there yet. I'm hardly ever on that side.

Between those two places you can find a lot - have fun and good luck!! Let us know if you need help with directions or anything like that. thumbs_up.gif

Pyxxydust Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 2:11pm
post #8 of 21

Hey Ironbaker! I live in Stockbridge now, which is why it's so hard to get to the other places, but I do have the store in Morrow nearby. It's called Everything Special, but it's teeny, teeny, tiny. They do have lots of cake pans, lots of chocolate/candy molds, and cake topper things, but not much else. They have a small selection of luster dusts and paste colors, some Wilton stuff, and don't carry very much fondant. But the people are soooo nice and will order anything you want that they don't have in the store. The thing that I really wish they had was gold cake boards, like the other two have, for special occasions, cuz it's too much of a pain for me to wrap them in foil. And they don't sell single cake boards - you have to buy them in bunches of 5, and they're not waxed, so that means they get all yucky if you don't cover them or put a doily down or something.
Anyway, I didn't realize Cake Art had a new website! how cool! I want to take their whimsical cake class - I'll have to look and see when it's being offered again!

Ironbaker Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 2:53pm
post #9 of 21

Hey pyxxy! Yep, that's it, I couldn't remember the name! Thanks, I guess it's not worth the trip out that way. I do like that Cake Art's baords are waxed and they do have many "special" ones. Another thing I noticed is that they have much more fondant to choose from as well - they had SatinIce (in various colors/flavors) and another brand.

Are you part of our yahoo group? We're trying to form a local cake club and we are meeting for the first time Oct. 14th. Just something informal....lunch/dinner at the Cheesecake Factory just to meet and talk. icon_smile.gif

Pyxxydust Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 2:55pm
post #10 of 21

No, that sounds cool! Oct 14 is a weeknight and since I'm on the south side, I probably couldn't meet you guys for dinner. Oh well - but it would be fun to get into the yahoo group! Let me know what I need to do!

Ironbaker Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:59pm
post #11 of 21

No, the 14th's a Saturday. icon_smile.gif Are you looking at September? icon_razz.gif

I'll PM you.

LuvCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvCakes Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 5:18pm
post #12 of 21

I am interested in info on the Yahoo group. Could you please send the info? I live on the East side and usually go to Cake Art for supplies. I am actually taking their wedding class right now. I agree, their prices are a bit expensive. Wish I could join you all on the 14th, but I already have a commitment. I would love to be a part of an Atlanta Cake Club. TIA.

shannonmp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonmp Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 5:30pm
post #13 of 21

I would love to have info about the group as well, please.

angelak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelak Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 5:33pm
post #14 of 21

Me too, me too! icon_biggrin.gif

Bethroze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethroze Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 5:40pm
post #15 of 21

If you happen to be traveling on Interstate 75, stop in Warner Robins, GA at AJ's Cake & Confections. The prices are great and they have a huge selection. It is a family owned store in a very scary old building. Don't be afraid of the way it looks, it is definitely worth your while to go inside.

Ironbaker Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 6:35pm
post #16 of 21

I PMed you ladies! thumbs_up.gif

I've heard of that one Bethroze, would love to check it out.

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 6:47pm
post #17 of 21

I highly recommend all the specialty stores you've mentioned. I took a beginning cake class like 9 years ago at Everything Special. Also, you can get some great classes on video or DVD at Nicholas Lodge's shop. They are really helpful there too. Hope all of you will join our little yahoo group. It's been so much fun to keep up with everyone that's semi-close by. icon_biggrin.gif

louie750 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louie750 Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 5:50am
post #18 of 21

I would like to recieve info on this new club too. I'm fairly new to the atlanta area and think it'll be great to get involve in something other than work!

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 6:04am
post #19 of 21

Wow ...lots of people from GA....
My dh and I are going to go to Savannah in Oct ..staying on Tybee Island...are any of these shops close to there? We are coming from Indiana...but I don't think we come close to Atlanta...Any shops in Savannah?

Ironbaker Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 5:19pm
post #20 of 21

Louie, I sent you a message.

Sundine - Happy early Birthday!!! We share the same day. thumbs_up.gif (and quite a few others I know)

Sorry, I don't know of any near Savannah, maybe someone else does. But if you drive through, maybe you can make a pit stop.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 3:42am
post #21 of 21

Ironbaker...Happy Birthday to you too! It is a wonderful day. I got a new 6qt bowl for my ka....from my sisters. That gives me two now...I love it. I also got the Toba Garrett book for myself for my birthday and Saturday I went to sugarcraft in Cincy and bought some more pans and goodies. I am replacing my wilton pans with the magic line...slowly....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%