Opinions Needed Asap

Decorating By dish1971 Updated 27 Sep 2006 , 5:14pm by sweetamber

dish1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dish1971 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 9

I am running out of time to finish a cake for DH's company picnic...would Wilton's ready made icing work instead? I usually make my own, but I am running out time. If anyone has used it, please tell me what you think and if you like using it...thanks,
trish

8 replies
newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 9

Well when I used it, the consistency seemed a little off...almost like it was TOO thin. A little confectioners sugar fixed that issue though.

AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 9

Hi , yeah it is ok. I mean I didn't ice my whole cake with it, I bought it to try and made my roses with it. the taste is maybe a 7 out of 10 and 8 outof 10 for workability in my opinion. Goodluck hope you get it done in time. icon_smile.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 9

I bought the huge tub of it and it tastes great in my opinion - and in my husband's opinion! I was running out of icing and time and so I used that - and it turned out just fine. I prefer to make my icing just b/c I like to make my own icing - but in a pinch, I definitely feel I could use Wilton's.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 9

I always buy the Wilton for my black and red. I think it is fine for doing regular cakes and outlining. What are you trying to do with it?

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 9

Hey Trish I just thought of this. I have read where people have bought buttercream from I think Sams bakery. Not sure but maybe someone else remembers where. That would be another solution for you. BTW my hubbie is having a company picnic this weekend as well. I am making cookies for that.

dish1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dish1971 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:42pm
post #7 of 9

I am decorating 3 layers: a 6" round, 8" square and a 15" hexagon...so I'd have to make a lot of icing. It's a fall harvest cake with candy sunflowers, leaves, a pumkin patch...etc.

heystopthatnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heystopthatnow Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 9

When I took a Wilton's class, someone in our class bought it...it was too thin to decorate with. The instructor just kept adding powdered sugar to it.

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 5:14pm
post #9 of 9

No help here, but your cake sounds like it will be really cute- I can't wait to see it!!

Amber

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%