Need Help With Odd Request For 5 Year Old's Birthday

Decorating By gatorbear Updated 27 Sep 2006 , 3:15pm by SidAna

gatorbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorbear Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 2:29am
post #1 of 14

A coworker has requested a 9 x 13 cake that I make for work a lot. It is a chocolate cake, with caramel and sweetened condensed milk. I normally frost it will Cool Whip or homemade whipped cream, but she has requested this be frosted with a mocha buttercream. I think it will be super sweet, but it's what she wants. I asked her how she wanted it decorated for the 5-year-old boy and she said whatever, it didn't matter. My problem is the icing will be a brown color and I am trying to figure out what type of decorations will look good on the brown icing. Any suggestions would be great!!!

Thanks!

13 replies
CupCake13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake13 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 2:34am
post #2 of 14

Well, boy colors look pretty good on brown. So balloons, streamers, etc would look good on a brown background. Maybe stick to blues, greens, yellows?

White also looks good and adds a spark of brightness and sharpness to a cake that seems to have a blah background.

lilybrett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilybrett Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 2:34am
post #3 of 14

Try gummy worms since the icing will be a brown color. All five year old boys love dirt and worms.

morg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morg Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 2:37am
post #4 of 14

Just think 5 year old. How about Winnie the Pooh? His colors would pop on brown. icon_smile.gif

katskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katskreations Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 2:39am
post #5 of 14

How about cars,trucks, or motorcycles driving off road. you could put mounds like hills, add a little green grass, rocks...
or... you could do a camping cake if he likes that. any outdoor scene would work with brown frosting.

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 2:51am
post #6 of 14

i like the idea of a camping theme, you could model a little fondant/gumpaste person sitting by a campfire, or the bug idea is cute. they make all sorts of gummy bugs, my 5 year olds would love a theme like that. by the way, that cake sounds delicious

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 2:54am
post #7 of 14

an army theme would work on brown too.

cakerunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerunner Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:01am
post #8 of 14

JUNGLE!!!!!

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 5:35am
post #9 of 14

i am thinking of trucks, buldozers, tractors. I think it would look cool.

Les Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Les Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 5:43am
post #10 of 14

How about a cowboy or western theme; maybe something with soldiers?

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 5:46am
post #11 of 14

Trucks in the mud!

gatorbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorbear Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 9:53am
post #12 of 14

Those all sound great! Thank you! I will talk to her again and give her some ideas to see if anything sounds most interesting to her.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 2:58pm
post #13 of 14

okay this might be a lot of work, but if you didnt want to 'see' the brown you could do like a FBCT over the entire top of the cake with just a crumb coat of the mocha underneath and then on the sides of course. I guess it wouldnt be entirely mocha flavored, plus doing a FBCT that size might be a lot. But just a thought. or you could just do a FBCT and stick it on the brown. I think that would look fine... Maybe sports theme, firetruck, sailboats etc.

SidAna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SidAna Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:15pm
post #14 of 14

5 year old boys - go for the gummy bugs or jungle animals theme. They love those stuff.
I have a 6 yr old handsome boy and he loves chocolate and animals/bugs of any shape and kind!

bright yellows, red, blues all will brighten the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%