Caramel Filling-Using Condensed Milk (Refrigerate The Cake)?

Decorating By monizcel Updated 21 Sep 2006 , 3:01pm by charmie

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 11

I burned the first batch of condensed milk last night when I was trying to make caramel. Grr...an extra 30 seconds in the microwave and the whole thing was ruined icon_cry.gif

I'm going to make another batch tonight (carefully!) and fill my white cake with it.

My question: Does the finished cake need to be refrigerated until tomorrow because of the caramel or is room temp for a couple of days okay?

Thanks icon_rolleyes.gif

10 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 1:07pm
post #2 of 11

I'm not sure...........but I just wanted to say that I just made one of these the other day.......and the caramel seeped into the cake ( I kept mine refrigerated......don't know if you have to though).......it still tasted awesome........but you may want to smear a little bc on the cake and let it firm up a little and them put the filling on top of that if you want it to remain a thin layer of actual caramel in the cake! Just wanted to give you a heads up!

jelligirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelligirl Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 11

good morningicon_smile.gif, i was doing the same thing last night and i had my in the pot for 3 hours on simmer and it didn't change at all...i put it in the microwave and had to keep an eye on it (i almost burned it icon_sad.gif ) i put mine in the fridge over night...i know its going to be hard but i think if it is warmed up a little bit, it should be ok to put it on the cake....hopefully someone will see this and can help us both icon_biggrin.gif

monizcel Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 11

khalstead...thanks for the heads up on the filling issue.

I crumb coated the cake before work this morning and will add another layer of BC before I dam and fill the cake with the caramel.

Getting too addicted to cake decorating I think icon_lol.gif I am dreaming about my cakes at night and getting up early to work on them too!

charmie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charmie Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 11

BUMP How do you make caramel out of milk?

monizcel Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 11

You take a can of condensed milk and cook it.

I followed the microwave directions on the Eagle Brand Website for Homemade Caramel. I had to cook it for much less time (about 9 minutes in total) because I have a very powerful microwave.

http://www.eaglebrand.com/detail.asp?rid=825

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 11

Heres a much quicker easier safer way to make the condensed milk caramel

100g butter
100g sugar
2 tablespoons golden (corn) syrup
1 can condensed milk

put everything in a saucepan. heat over a low heat until the sugar and butter dissolve. Turn up the heat and bring to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes stirring constantly. allow to cool for 1 minute before using

BigFatMamaKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigFatMamaKat Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBaritone

100g butter
100g sugar
1 can condensed milk

put everything in a saucepan. heat over a low heat until the sugar and butter dissolve. Turn up the heat and bring to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes stirring constantly. allow to cool for 1 minute before using

Does anybody know what the equivalent measurements would be in tablespoons? icon_confused.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 9:09pm
post #9 of 11

The caramel from condensed milk is fine left out of the fridge. icon_smile.gif

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 5:15am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMamaKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBaritone

100g butter
100g sugar
1 can condensed milk

Does anybody know what the equivalent measurements would be in tablespoons? icon_confused.gif

In the uk 25g is 1 slightly heaped tablespoon. Can anyone confirm if uk and US tablespoons are the same size?

charmie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charmie Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 3:01pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you so much for the recipe. CC's are always so helpful. I LOVE THIS SITE.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%