Quick! - Board Help

Decorating By ME2 Updated 16 Sep 2006 , 7:47pm by fantasy_art

ME2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ME2 Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 11

I want to cover my cake board with MMF, then coat the MMF with crushed graham crackers to resemble dirt/sand. What should I use to make the crumbs stick? Water? Egg white? Something else?

Need to get this cake done this morning and forgot all about this little detail!!

Thanks!

10 replies
auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 11

So sorry I can't help. I haven't used MMF yet on a board. I hope you find your answers - soon !

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 11

What about using some bc icing colored to resemble the sand? I don't know about the water or egg white. BC is the only thing I have used.

I have also read that you can use cake crumbles and toast them in the oven just a little to make 'sand.'

Good Luck.

jac1105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jac1105 Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 11

I would do a little bit of buttercream icing on the fondant. Then put the sand on top.

Flour_Power Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flour_Power Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 11

You can coat the mmf with light corn syrup to "glue" it. Good luck and don't forget to post a picture!!

lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 11

I think it would be better if you used brown sanding sugar instead of graham crackers and use egg white to make it stick!!
I don't know if you cak get graham crackers to stick unless you use royal icing!
Good luck on your cake!!!

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 11

If you are creating a "sand effect" where it is just sprinkled here and there, you just do that before presenting the cake and it doesn't matter if it sticks or not.

However, if you are creating sand for items to adhere to and/or set upon, I use brown sugar. You can just sprinkle it on the fondant, (usually I take a hand full and just dump it on there then mix it around), the sugar just sticks there without any water added. The top of the sugar remains loose but doesn't really go anywhere unless someone is playing with it.

Here is a pic of where I used the brown sugar.
LL

peterlori1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peterlori1 Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 11

Raw sugar makes great looking sand. You could try brushing the fondant lightly with a mixture of meringue powder and water and then sprinkle the raw sugar on. Water alone may hold it, too.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 11

I also use brown sugar to create sand.

CakesUnleashed, your PigPenPalsCake is sooo cute!! I laughed when I saw the little pig butt!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

LorraineF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorraineF Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 7:39pm
post #10 of 11

I LOVE that pig cake--my grandaughter is getting 3 Little Pigs for her birthday and I wanted to do three houses with a pig in each one--thanks for the great idea! Now all I need is a wolf----

fantasy_art Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fantasy_art Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 7:47pm
post #11 of 11

When ever I want something to stick to fondant, I normally use piping gel. Its super sticky and completely edible. Just use a small brush and paint it on thinly then sprinkle your graham cracker crumbs or whatever you are using.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%