Fixodent And Forget It

Decorating By allycook Updated 5 Aug 2007 , 1:27pm by lynda-bob

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 9:29pm
post #31 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

You only use a little of the Extra Strength Fixodent Powder, it is not enough to make you sick & it does work very well, it certainly hold up in humidity. I like it a lot.

I agree completely!! Well said superstar!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 12:58am
post #32 of 54

What I want to know is what made someone decide.."hmm, let me put fixodent in my fondant!" icon_lol.gif

The things we come up with as decorators are just endless. thumbs_up.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:12am
post #33 of 54

If fixodent and gumtex cost pretty much the same...and use the same amounts in your fondant. Why would you use fixodent?

southerncake Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:17am
post #34 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

If fixodent and cost pretty much the same...and use the same amounts in your fondant. Why would you use fixodent?

Because not everyone has a cake supply store in their town. I have to drive an hour and a half to get gumtex, but I can drive 10 minutes to the drug store or grocery store for fixodent. I can also order gumtex online, but I don't always have 3 or more days to wait for it to arrive!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:19am
post #35 of 54

That makes sense...thank you.

southerncake Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:35am
post #36 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

That makes sense...thank you.

Happy to help!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:14am
post #37 of 54

I was off the computer for a day (seems interminable to me icon_razz.gif ) and just got on tonight to read all of the latest fixodent posts. I still have yet to get off my duff ( icon_lol.gif what would Duff G. say?) and go buy the Fixodent! icon_redface.gif I'm going tomorrow. If I make things w/ this alteration would everything be nice and hard/dry for Saturday? Even in humid weather? TIA icon_biggrin.gif

Southerncake and Allycook, I just wanted to tell you that once I painted a 6" cake in gold luster dust and no one got sick. Also, I've painted gold accents that go onto buttercream frosted cakes and we eat all of it, lusters and all. No complaints, yet. I just get a little paranoid when I start reading posts saying that stuff is not safe.... But then again, once I read a post (not from an American) who said they lustered the cakes entirely for the past soooo many years and it was not considered dangerous to eat... Only that lots of (old things) are new to us, Americans icon_rolleyes.gif Who knows? icon_razz.gif

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:33am
post #38 of 54

k just to let ya'll know who came up with the idea ....it was "squirrellycakes" she was one of the first members of c.c. and the originator of the "gallery supporter" group. She is the one who suggested using fixodent for the gumpaste decorations. I think she said, I could be wrong, but she said that she uses it almost exclusively for her gumpaste. She likes how it works, it's availability and you don't get that nasty vinegarry smell like you do when using gumtex. Just a thought.

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:42am
post #39 of 54

The new Wilton luster dusts are the only FDA approved dusts for consumption....no need to woory about this product and it is easily available.

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 5:15am
post #40 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynda-bob

People aren't really supposed to eat the gumpaste stuff on our cakes either, right? Is that just because they don't taste good or is there something bad for you there? This is not a rhetorical question, either; I really don't know the answer icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif Could someone help me with that one? Also, the aren't supposed to be eaten in large quantities? But some whole cakes are 'painted' (w/vodka or other extract) w/ , right? I need some more info. all the way around icon_razz.gif But really, I'm intrigued about using the fixodent kind of like gumpaste!

Lynda

I think the main problems with eating gum paste goodies is (a) they get handled a lot (potentially lots of luverly germs), (b) there is often a lot of colour in them, and (c) they are VERY hard!

Personally, I think anyone who eats flowers that I have spent HOURS making, colouring and wiring together deserves everything they get!! (Joke icon_wink.gif )

lynda-bob Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 5:32am
post #41 of 54

Ozcookie wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Personally, I think anyone who eats flowers that I have spent HOURS making, colouring and wiring together deserves everything they get!! (Joke )

Hehehe! I can relate! icon_lol.gif I had a royal icing fan broken and eaten by a flamenco dance troupe (my niece was one of them) and I'm thinking 'HOW COULD THEY?' icon_cry.gif I can't argue, though; It is candy, right? icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 7:49am
post #42 of 54

Hehehe! I can relate! icon_lol.gif I had a royal icing fan broken and eaten by a flamenco dance troupe (my niece was one of them) and I'm thinking 'HOW COULD THEY?' icon_cry.gif I can't argue, though; It is candy, right? icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif[/quote]

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif Candy!!??? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif Works of art, if you don't mind! Would YOU chomp on the Mona LIsa? We CC'ers are ARTISTS!!

CakesOnly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesOnly Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 8:18am
post #43 of 54

I am new to this thread and I have read everyones thoughts on fixodent. I haven't used it for decoration yet, but I do use it on my dentures. I have used it for the last 30 yeard. I accidentally swallowed a lot of it in that time. It is not dangerous. I am still here and into cakes. I think that I am going to try it real soon.

lynda-bob Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 9:07am
post #44 of 54

Okay, that does it! Thanks, CakesOnly icon_biggrin.gif That makes me feel lots more confidant in the trial! So did anyone know if two days in humid weather is enough time for the fixodent/mmf combo to dry (things like figures and maybe rope letters?) TIA icon_biggrin.gif

southerncake Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 12:16pm
post #45 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaptlps

k just to let ya'll know who came up with the idea ....it was "squirrellycakes" she was one of the first members of c.c. and the originator of the "gallery supporter" group. She is the one who suggested using fixodent for the gumpaste decorations. I think she said, I could be wrong, but she said that she uses it almost exclusively for her gumpaste. She likes how it works, it's availability and you don't get that nasty vinegarry smell like you do when using . Just a thought.

Thank you chaptlps for posting that! I thought this was from Squirrelly, but could not remember. Years ago, she was my first "cake friend" on another board and really took me under her wing and sent me a lot of helpful info and recipes. She inspired me in so many ways. Within months of CC starting up, we both became members here and I have loved it ever since!! Many thanks to Squirelly!

CakesOnly -- you don't even have to go out and buy anything new!!!!!!

Superstar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Superstar2 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:39pm
post #46 of 54

I have found that fixodent really makes the gum paste very hard & strong.
Lynda, they sould be dry in two days but I usually try for more time & I also have the ceiling fan blowing on the items, but the fixodent does make for faster drying.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 7:19pm
post #47 of 54

Squirrellycakes asked that I post this correction:

This thread was brought to my attention. The idea of adding Fixodent powder to fondant to make gum paste was not my original idea. I got the tip from Sewsweet2 who posted about this tip on the R-bdesigns site in March of 2006. She is such a wonderful lady and so knowledgeable, always sharing information and tips.

This is what Sewsweet said in her original post:

Quote:
"I add about a teaspoon of this to a wad of fondant about the size of a baseball. Knead it into the fondant and use like gumpaste. It will get hard for you and you'll have great ribbons. Someone at the RCCA cake show in Omaha, NE, a couple of years ago, told me this hint. They had check it out and it is safe to use. After all, you use the denture adhesive in your mouth. Your gumpaste has the added benefit of being a little minty smelling too." End of Quote

Many people cannot easily get their hands on tylose powder. But the active ingredients in tylose powder, are also in Fixodent powder dental adhesive. This is safe to use.

allycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycook Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 7:55pm
post #48 of 54

I just finished some figures with it and it truly does work great! I like it because I always seem to have fondant left over and this is a great way to stretch it.

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 8:58pm
post #49 of 54

This was interesting reading. I am new to the fondant thing.. I've decided to use it on my next wedding cake which is in 27 days. Do we fixodent swags? Can you use fixodent in Buttercream flowers?

allycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycook Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:37am
post #50 of 54

cjstor, I wouldn't use it in anything that will be eaten only because of the texture, which is stretchy, and the flavor is minty. So my advice is don't use it in the swags. It isn't used in buttercream either.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 1:25am
post #51 of 54

If you use the fixodent, with your fondant only for accents and place them on top of the buttercream, I wonder if it makes the buttercream taste minty. Anyone know?

CakesOnly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesOnly Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 7:49am
post #52 of 54

Why not buy the one with out the mint flavor? I do.

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 12:28pm
post #53 of 54

OK on the 18th I am doing a wedding cake. It will four tiers stacked. I want to put it on pillars on top of a fountain. Do you think it would be too heavy? This wedding will also make me or break as far as referrals so I want to do a really good job. I want to cascade red roses down one side. Should I make fondant roses or do I make buttercream roses? I want the roses to be really grand and present. The colors are red and black. I thought about putting black satin ribbon around each layerm then do black scroll work or black dotted swiss on every other layer. The layers are like this: bottom is chocolate, next is strawbery, next is lemon and the top is red velvet. I am getting more nervous about this as time gets closer. I also thought about just keeping the main cake stacked and making satellite cakes and placing them around the fountain. Ideas please!!!!

lynda-bob Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 1:27pm
post #54 of 54

cjstor, I've done 3-tier cakes over a fountain; they're in my pix. I did use satellite cakes w/both of them. Your designs sound very pretty and I myself think that gumpaste roses would be the way to go. You can make the petals thin and more realistic looking and you can make them ahead of time and just put them on when you are decorating. I used to be scared of gumpaste (don't know why) but it's really not that much different than using fondant except that it dries quicker and you can roll it lots thinner. HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%