Chocolate Covered Spoons Tips?

Decorating By alengirl Updated 14 Sep 2006 , 12:14am by anoccasionalchocolate

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 5

Hi ladies, long time no post! Planning my wedding, so Cake Central has been on the back burner for a while. I'll be back in gear soon icon_smile.gif I'm getting ready to make those gourmet type chocolate covered spoons as favors for my bridal shower. Have any of you made them before? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated since this will be my first time making them icon_smile.gif

Thanks so much!
alengirl

4 replies
czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 5

The easiest way to do them is to buy the molds and the spoon "handles" and do them like a regular chocolate....

The spoon handles you can usually get in gold, maybe silver - and they're like the handle part with a round flat circle on the end, not a whole spoon.

So you fill the molds (they're shaped like spoons) and place the handle in an wiggle it in to the still-warm chocolate.

They're soooo easy this way, and you get a lot more chocolate than trying to dip and actual spoon.

Then you can wrap them in those little candy bags and tie with pretty ribbon and attach your note.

You could alos pipe something on the top surface of the chocolate spoon part - initials of something if you want.

Good luck and have fun! Post pics!

icon_smile.gif

Thought I'd add a link in case that doesn't make sense in type! LOL

http://www.anoccasionalchocolate.com/mocha-spoon-mold.html

click on the "mocha spoon handles" link to see that spoon part I'm talking about.

The cake and candy supply shops by me all have these, so hopefully they're easy for you to find locally.

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 5

I would definitely use good tempered chocolate. I learned my lesson one time using just candy melts. WHen I put the spoon in my coffee, the chocolate made like a slick on top of the coffee rather than mixing in. Perhaps I had a bad batch of melts but I would have been embarrassed had I been doing it for something as wonderful as a wedding.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot_Contessa

I would definitely use good tempered chocolate. I learned my lesson one time using just candy melts. WHen I put the spoon in my coffee, the chocolate made like a slick on top of the coffee rather than mixing in. Perhaps I had a bad batch of melts but I would have been embarrassed had I been doing it for something as wonderful as a wedding.

You are right! Tempered chocolate only... Not even just melted chips, because they will not mold correctly or look professional. Candy melts have ingredients to make it shine (wax? parafin?) that doesn't mix with liquids and leaves a waxy coating in your mouth. yuck

anoccasionalchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoccasionalchocolate Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:14am
post #5 of 5

Guittard melting chocolate is perfect for these spoons. I make them all the time and sell them for fundraisers. Guittards quality is so much better than the other melting coatings.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%