Need Advice On Wedding Cake

Decorating By rikley Updated 19 Jul 2007 , 8:10pm by ppm713

rikley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rikley Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, so im making my cousin's wedding cake and yes this is my first one. I've got all the layers baked and iced: the wedding is saturday, how soon can I fondant it without it going rock solid?

Another question, how do you stack them? I know you use, those sticks, the name escapes me. I think im in over my head. Its four cakes, stacked, with fondant. Simple, easy -OMG!!!!! HELP!!!! icon_eek.gificon_sad.gificon_cry.gif

4 replies
spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 5

ok take a deep breath and repat in the mirror until you beive it fully "I CAN do this"
Once you have done that you can begin putting your cake together.
You need dowels and small cake boards to stack your cake. Personally I prefer to do my fondant the day of the wedding and have always done it that way so I can not be of much help about doing it in advance...lucky thing for you this is CC someone will know the exact answer to that question.
You can totally do this, don't take it so seriously and have some fun will ya icon_wink.gif

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 5

You will be fine just take a deep breath and attack one layer at a time...

You should be fine in icing in fondant today. just cover each cake one at a time starting with the bottom cake first as its the largest and it is stacked on top of so it gets time to set a little more before youstack them.

then use the foamcore stuff you guys use over there cut to the shape and same size as the cake this is for the top 3 tiers use normal cake board for your bottom tier.

Use dowelling in each tier to support the tier above i use 4 in each cake these you cut to the same height as the cake once covered in fondant not shorter. You dont need to dowel the top tier of course. then with one long piece of dowell which is able to go thru every tier make a sharp point on it so it can go thru the foamcore. Is there any thing going on the top tier? if so push that long dowel right thru from the top make sure it is a little shorter so you can cover it.

HOpe that helps . good luck cant wait to see the pics

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ppm713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ppm713 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 5

Look under articles on the top and then there is an article on stacking cakes. This should help you with the stacking part. As for the fondant thing, I know when we made a fondant cake in class, if the cake is covered in fondant and you put it in a sealed plastic cake carrier your fondant will get gummy. I don't know how you are going to store it until saturday, but if you cover it up don't put in an airtight container.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%