Pumpkin-Shaped Cake

Decorating By luiri Updated 14 Sep 2006 , 1:39am by sugarspice

luiri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luiri Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 3:17am
post #1 of 10

My son is turning 1 on Halloween day and I want to "surprise" him with a pumpkin-shaped cake. I have read about stacking two bundt cakes and it looks good. I have a couple of questions:
icon_biggrin.gif
a) What type of icing do you recommend? (Do you have a recipe you can share?) I am not very skilled at cake decorating. The cake will be probably chocolate and pumpkin (one flavor each tier) so I was thinking about orange icing.
b) What type of cake do you recommend. I want the cake to hold for two or three days. I was thinking of baking Hershey's "Perfect chocolate cake". It comes out nicely and it is quite moist. Do you think this would work?

Thanks a lot. I look forward to your responses.

9 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 3:26am
post #2 of 10

The pumpkin cake in my photos was either pumpkin spice or just spice, either way it was a doctored cake mix. I just used my regular buttercream. I airbrushed mine but you could always color your icing orange.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 3:32am
post #3 of 10

Welcome to the site...I would suggest using a buttercream...there are recipes on this site, I believe the one I use is very similiar to buttercream dream..... I think the bundt cake pans sound like a great idea and I think the chocolate cake sounds great. I have covered cakes in buttercream and they still taste good day 2.....but I doubt one has ever been around for day 3...but I would think it should be fine.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 3:35am
post #4 of 10

Texas sugar.... Did you use two different cake mixes( flavors) on your pumpkin cake. It is really cute....Did you put one right side up and the other right side down...?

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 3:38am
post #5 of 10

Welcome luiri

If you look at my photos I made a pumpkin Halloween Theme cake last year for a child the pumpkin cake is from the wiltons pumpkin pan it was a pound cake recipe (they seem to hold up better for a 3D cake) and the bottom round was a chocolate flavor I used buttercream for the pumkin cake and a chocolate frosting for the bottom

Molly icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 3:58am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundine2

Texas sugar.... Did you use two different cake mixes( flavors) on your pumpkin cake. It is really cute....Did you put one right side up and the other right side down...?

I used the same flavor, but two different mixes. I don't see why you couldn't do two flavors as long as they went together.

The bottom is the bundt pan upside down and the top is upside up. You'll want to trim them so they will have flat parts connecting them.

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 4:12am
post #7 of 10

I saw a pumpkin cake where they used 2 bundt cakes and stacked them and then they used a cake cone and used that for the pumpkin stem.

sug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sug78 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 11:15pm
post #8 of 10

I just made a pumpkin cake into a cinderella carriage for my daughters 2nd birthday. One bundt cake was chocolate with a coconut tunnel and the other was a strawberry cake then I had half of a 10" round orange cake in between the two. I used the whipped cream buttercream recipe. The whole thing was very good.

Sumer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sumer Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 1:18am
post #9 of 10

Two bundt cakes put together (tops touching) work well. I would do fondant for two reasons.....first, you can get a really pretty orange color and smooth finish like that of a pumpkin, and secondly, the MMF will mold into the crevices of the pumpkin and look real. It will also conceal the "seam" between the two cakes. That's just my opinion icon_smile.gif

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 1:39am
post #10 of 10

Would a single bunt cake work for a pumpkin, if you didn't want so much cake??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%