First Choc Transfer

Decorating By sugarspice Updated 7 Sep 2006 , 3:11pm by jeans541

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 2:52am
post #1 of 5

Here is a pict of my first choc. transfer. It turned out pretty good, really like the method!! It ended up being a little thick, I added an extra layer on the back, which I don't think it needed-was afraid it would break. Wondering if you add some fresh icing to the back before you put it on the cake. I pushed mine into the icing, but the different pieces didn't seem really stable-like they could pop right off. Wondering what most people do. I put them on right after I smoothed the cake. Ok, not the smoothest cake ever, but it was for practice! It is the Pooh cake in my picts, unable to re-size to attach Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 3:01am
post #2 of 5

Very cute!! You did a wonderful job! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 3:41am
post #3 of 5

Your Pooh looks great. I just made one today and didn't put the extra layer on it and it cracked on me as I tried to put it on the cake. At least it was a clean break and I was able to patch it with more candy melts. So I'll always put that extra layer on now.

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 3:50am
post #4 of 5

Great job on your cake! your transfers look awesome. I never put a layer of frosting on the back before assembling the cake . . . for me, pushing it into the buttercream icing is enough to hold it in place. Or, if you do stand up chocolate transfers (two mirror images back to back) then I make sure that i've got a "tab" on the bottom (I just put extra chocolate on the bottom so that the image is standing on a square of chocolate and that "tab" gets inserted into the cake to help hold it up and still be able to see the whole image without it disappearing into the frosting).

jeans541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeans541 Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 5

Your transfers turned out great! I use IMBC for most of my cakes and usually don't need to add more icing to the backs of the transfers. However, if my cake has been in the fridge and the icing is hard from being cold, I will add a dab to the transfer to be sure it stays where I place it and also I don't have to press hard and risk breaking. I don't work with crusting BC often, so I am not sure if you would have to press harder after it crusts to get a transfer to stick well??? If it does require some pressing, an extra layer of chocolate on the back of your transfer will save you from the horror of breakage! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%