Petits Four

Baking By Tiffysma Updated 29 Sep 2006 , 7:42pm by AgentCakeBaker

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 6:50pm
post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvCakes

Someone just asked me to make some for them. I've reviewed all of the wonderful tips here, so I'm going to give it a try. This seems somewhat time consuming. How do you price them? Per dozen, or just use the price you charge for the size of the original cake prior to it being cut...like if you started with a 11x15 charge like that?

Thanks!

no way do you charge the same as if it were uncut cake.........these things are a ton of work......I would say you'd have to price them per dozen at a minimum!!

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 7:13pm
post #32 of 40

I charge $2.00 each for them.

If they're very detailed (like Christmas trees with red balls on them, etc.) I charge more.

Nobody else in this area does them, though. So it's kind of like a monopoly I've got, you could say! lol

I would add one thing: If you do add the candy melts, or chocolate, etc. Just make sure you get your fondant/chocolate mixture THIN enough!

Too thick and you'll have drip marks all over the petits--too thin, and it's not going to stick right!

What a pain...but oh, so yummeeeee!

--Knox--

lmbrinks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmbrinks Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 7:32pm
post #33 of 40

I love making these. I use the mini cupcake pan, filling each about 1/2 full (you don't want them rising over the rim-don't use paper liners) After baking, I turn them upside down on a rack which is setting on a cookie sheet. After cooling, I then use my piping bag filled with my buttercream frosting and fill each one, using tip 4 or 5, like a hostess twinkie. (Sometimes I need to eat a few, just to see if the pressure on my bag is right!) You don't want the filling to go out through the bottom!

After filling them, I take a mixture of a bag of candy melts and 1/2 cup whipping cream, melted and heated through and gently pour them over each little cake, making sure that each cake is covered thoroughly. If the little cakes need a second coat, just scrape the candy off the bottom of your cookie sheet, reheat and pour over the cakes again. After they set up, you can do a little decoration on each one (rosebud, lace, etc.) or not! So pretty and SOOOOO good! Have fun!

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 8:03pm
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmbrinks

After filling them, I take a mixture of a bag of candy melts and 1/2 cup whipping cream, melted and heated through and gently pour them over each little cake, making sure that each cake is covered thoroughly.

Does the mixture of candy melts and cream set hard? Well, at least hard enough that it's not getting in your fingers when you pick them up to eat?

lmbrinks Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 8:06pm
post #35 of 40

Yes, they set up beautifully! I like to use different color candy melts and make them according to the season.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 8:15pm
post #36 of 40

do you somehow cover the bottoms?

lmbrinks Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 8:24pm
post #37 of 40

No, after covering them and letting them set up, I just set each little cake in a small cupcake liner -- not the little candy cups, but the mini cupcake liners (that which I would have used in the mini cupcake pan, IF if were making mini cupcakes.)

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 11:08pm
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmbrinks

Yes, they set up beautifully! I like to use different color candy melts and make them according to the season.

GREAT! That's just what I wanted to hear icon_smile.gif Thanks bunches!

LuvCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvCakes Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:53am
post #39 of 40

Thanks to everyone for your help with the petit fours, but I made them and I officially hate them. I am retiring from the petit four business. This was a very humbling experience. I hope this customer doesn't ask for her money back. She wanted them plain...and boy is she getting what she asked for!!! I've posted the picture below.

OK, couldn't add to this post, so you'll have to go to my pictures to see the disaster...

icon_cry.gif Iris

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 7:42pm
post #40 of 40
Quote:
Quote:

After filling them, I take a mixture of a bag of candy melts and 1/2 cup whipping cream, melted and heated through and gently pour them over each little cake, making sure that each cake is covered thoroughly.

Are they still soft enough to bite into or does it still harden when it drys?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%