Full Body Deer Cake

Decorating By JulesM7 Updated 16 Jul 2007 , 9:02am by loree001

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 10

I have been asked to do a deer cake for a groom's cake - my good friend's daughter is getting married in the spring. She asked if I could do a deer lying down - similar to this picture [/img]http://www.krittersinthemailbox.com/animals/deer/rubstmp49t.jpg.

Has anyone seen a cake done like that? I have searched the galleries and only found the mounted deer head cakes. I know I could do one of those with some practice, but I would really like to try to do the full body if possible. I would have to really practice that ahead of time for sure!!!

~Julie

9 replies
loree001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loree001 Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 10

Google image search brings up a few, I guess you could start with the lamb cake pan as the body and then maybe use styrofoam for the head, I don't know...but this will be fun!

loree001 Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 10

I just typed in deer cake on the google image search and it brought up a deer in the position you speak of on the first line...it's beautiful!

JulesM7 Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 10

WOW - that cake is beautiful!!!

I went to their website and it says the head and antlers are a keepsake, so I guess the head is styrofoam covered with fondant.

Anyone have ideas on how to construct this cake?

http://www.pohlmanscakes.com/images/cakes/groom3deer.jpg

DecoratorJen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratorJen Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 1:54am
post #5 of 10

Check out the book by Roland A. Winbeckler called Cake Sculpture. It is my favorite book on cakes!

loree001 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 1:01pm
post #6 of 10

Try the lamb pan... I would keep the lamb head on, but sculpt it down to use to add deer ears and deer muzzle...I would do this by first making the ears out of aluminum foil scrunched into the shape I want, then covering those completely with masking tape...then, the muzzle the same way. After you have the size/shape you want for ears and muzzle, I would insert them (maybe using dowel rods or cookie sticks?) into the really FIRM cake (pound cake?)...head where you need them, then begin to cover them with fondant or buttercream if that is what you chose...I don't know if this will work, but it would be fun to try...that is how I made a form for the bass fish I did (at the suggestion of another member, I used the foil form idea) and the fish isn't very heavy, which is good, because I was scared it would be too heavy if made all in fondant, and then the cake wouldn't be firm enough to hold it...but with the body made out of foil and masking tape, it's light enough that I'm not worried about it being firm in the cake (I'm making the cake so that the fish is 'jumping' out of the water...if that makes sense...

Another suggestion...since you will make this deer out of a firm (probably not the best eating cake) I would put the entire project on a good sheet cake, even if it's decorated with the field in which the deer sits...just so they'll have a cake they can eat and enjoy! PLEASE let me know how you do this and take pictures, enquiring minds want to know! icon_biggrin.gif

JulesM7 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 1:30pm
post #7 of 10

Great idea, Loree!
I will definitely post when I have finished. It might not be for a while...the wedding is next May - I just wanted to start thinking about it early in case I need to have some sort of structure built to work from.
The first thing I will try is the lamb pan and your suggestions about the foil/tape forms.

Decorator Jen: I will be on the lookout for the Winbeckler book - thanks for the suggestion!

cjengo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjengo Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:51am
post #8 of 10

There is a girl at my work that is doing the one on the pulman website. She made a practice one and brought it to work. It was so cute. It was smaller that I pictured it to be. I think she said it came with a DVD with full instructions.

cjengo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjengo Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:53am
post #9 of 10

There is a girl at my work that is doing the one on the pulman website. She made a practice one and brought it to work. It was so cute. I was smaller that I pictured it to be. I think she said it came with a DVD with full instructions.

loree001 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 9:02am
post #10 of 10

Wow...I know I just e-mailed them and asked for a $$ on the instructions, I would LOVE to have them! I'm in a big family of deer hunters!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%