Florida Bakers

Decorating By cassandrascakes Updated 8 Mar 2016 , 8:48pm by daltonam

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 3:57am
post #1 of 22

Just wanted to make contact with some bakers in the surrounding areas. I am located in Madison, Florida, and wanted to talk to some local bakers about things specific to our area (hot weather, humidity, prices people expect, etc.) Hope to hear from some of you soon.

21 replies
eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 22

I don't know where Madison is, but I live in Merritt Island, a short distance from the Space Center. Would love to talk with someone in Florida. Details vary from state to state on alot of cake factors. I am so close to securing commercial kitchen space and getting my license. Having a "neighbor" to exchange ideas and info with would be very helpful. Feel free to pm me whenever!

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 22

I'm not sure where Madison is, I live on MacDill AFB, which is in Tampa.

Mala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mala Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 22

Hi!!!I just move here in USA and not familiar w/ Florida yet, but I live here in Gainesville, Fl, I'm usually baking vegetarian and eggless cakes and sweets...Hope to know more of you guys...

keep smilingicon_surprised.gif)
mala

kris2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kris2005 Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 22

I live in Miami (so far away from everyone else) and I bake for my immediate family hopefully I will start school in Jan and study culinary arts!!!!!

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 22

Kris2005, I'm in North Miami - so I'm probably somewhat closer to you.....
I took the 3 Wilton courses in 1999 and have been selling cakes to friends & co-workers ever since. Most of my cakes are stored and served in the cool indoors, but if I'm warned that the cake is for an outdoor event where heat & humidity is a factor, I'll always recommend using fondant. My prices are somewhat higher than the grocery stores, slightly lower than specialty bakeries. HTH

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 22

You probably won't find many people who know where Madison is... but we lived in Tallahasse for a while so I know it. Madison is most famous for it's I-10 seppd trap icon_lol.gif

lilmisscantbewrg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmisscantbewrg Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 10:05pm
post #8 of 22

HI there,

I'm in Carrabelle, Fl- It's 80 miles between Panama City and Perry on the coast. I would love to talk cakes with you..

Amy
[email protected]

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 10:24pm
post #9 of 22

Gee, I feel so all alone in the middle! That's ok. This is why someone invented a computer, and why our hero Jackie set up this web site.
I've had one outdoor cake, used colored bc, but it was supposed to be an ocean theme and when it got humid, the color "bled" and looked like water. So I didn't mind. But I'll keep the fondant tip in mind for next time.
BTW, I made my first successful batch of MMF yesterday. It is actually kinda yummy. At least I can serve it and not worry about hearing a bunch of "yucky" comments!

kaste28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaste28 Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 10:36pm
post #10 of 22

HI! I live in Panama City, but I haven't been here very long, so I'm no help to anybody! I'd also like advice, tips, etc, on doing this in Florida.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 12:53am
post #11 of 22

I KNOW WHERE MADISON IS icon_biggrin.gif --I'LL PM U icon_biggrin.gif

katskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katskreations Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 1:57am
post #12 of 22

Hi, I live in Clermont (about 35 minutes from disney). Don't know how much help I'd be, but it's great to see others from Florida!!!

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 2:26am
post #13 of 22

Hi I'm new to cake decorating as well as CC. I'm in Port Saint Lucie. I'd love to talk to others in the area as well.

lacie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacie Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 2:35am
post #14 of 22

so cool alot of floridins, im in Bonita Springs

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 2:45am
post #15 of 22

I'm in North Miami Beach also...close to Miami Beach and South Beach.

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 2:53am
post #16 of 22

Hi I'm new to this site ( I LOVE IT) and new to cake decorating in general. I've been baking for awhile, now i can make things look good as well as taste good. Is anyone doing this as a business out of thier home? Is it leagal? Should i just do it and keep it quiet?

cassandrascakes Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 4:26am
post #17 of 22

I'm so glad someone finally answered this post!!! Madison is far away from most of you, pretty much a hole in the wall. I moved here because I got married. I love my husband, but I'm not crazy about this town. The town I moved from was even smaller, so I guess I can't complain. My biggest thing is that it's hard when you do your best work, but can't get the money you deserve because of your area. I would love to hear from any of you!!!

daltonam Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 12:51pm
post #18 of 22

now cassandra, i'm the one that lives in the hole--haha icon_biggrin.gif at least u have a Winn Dixie--all i have is a caution light icon_surprised.gif

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 4:39pm
post #19 of 22

I will be in florida ( from cocoa to south miami) in a litlle over a month would be nice to meet up or so.
Cassandra i don't know where madison is sorry. I have lived in fort lauderdale before movingto houston.
Eriksmom i was in merritt island last year ...how do you like it there???
I know it's a small town so differnt than houston

cassandrascakes Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 4:52pm
post #20 of 22

I don't really care for it here, but I'm OK. The town I came from was even smaller. The only thing that bothers me is that it's hard to price cakes around here. People are so used to going to Walmart and getting a cake, that they expect you to charge like they do. I do ok, I had 5 cake orders this week. Some weeks it's only one or two and occasionally I don't have any. All in all, it's a good place to raise children.

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 7:39pm
post #21 of 22

I'm in Wesley Chapel (a few minutes north of Tampa). Nice to see a board full of hot, humid Floridians! icon_razz.gif

Denise

daltonam Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 8:48pm
post #22 of 22

Has it really been almost 10 years??  I can't believe I've been doing cakes this long!!  Wow!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%