Would Love To Be Able To Dip Further Back Into The Galleries

Decorating By Housemouse Updated 14 Jul 2007 , 9:04am by brekka

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 18

I love looking at the galleries and would really like to be able to go to say page 345 of 756 - just to dip in and out - but there doesn't seem to be a way to select a specific page.

Sometimes I think I'd like to see cakes that were downloaded some time ago but it means jumping back by x no. of pages each time which means it takes longer each time the further you work your way back.

Does this make sense at all? I may get to say page 346 but the next time I want to look I have to go through all the same pages, albeit skipping over every 10 or so or however many it is, whereas it would be lovely to have the ability to select page 346 and be transported there immediately!

Other than the popular cakes which are revisited on the front page, it seems that there are a lot of cakes out there that are lost to viewing unless you have the patience of a saint. Would it be v costly / technically possible to have such a feature - whereby you can type in the page number you'd like to have a look at?

I do realise that with the pages being numbered so that page 1 contains the latest pics and page 1000 containing older the page content changes each time you look because new pics will have been added.

PS I am also aware that I have not yet made a contribution to the upkeep/running costs for this site (I am not working at the moment - wish I was) so this might sound a bit rich.

17 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 18

I have thought about that before too! Maybe we can get Heath and Jackie to notice this thread to make it happen soon!

I think one of the problems thought is that there are thousands of photos being uploaded every day! That may pose a problem as to say: I saw a photo on page 25 yesterday...It's not there today! Cause it gets pushed back!

Very good idea though!

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 18

It's not the easiest way but it works....

If you look at your address bar of your browser as you're going through the galleries you will see something like this...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&aid=8&pageID=6

Notice how it says pageID=6 ?? If you wanted to jump to page 366, you would just have to type over the number 6 so that it said pageID=366 instead. Once you've typed over the number and entered the page number you want to go to you can hit enter or click Go - whatever your browser has...

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 18

tbroskoski ~ you are so smart. GREAT idea!

RitzyFritz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RitzyFritz Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 18

Yes, tbroskoski's way works well for this - but what I have trouble with is when I search for say "apple cookies" I get only 4 pictures that come up. Then, when clicking on the "see more photos" link above those four pictures it takes you to the gallery page - not more apple cookies. Is there a way we can get more results when we search for something like this?

Thanks - and sorry if I hijacked the thread, but this has been bugging me too. icon_smile.gif

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 18

Took me a while to figure this one out but since then I have maneuvered much easier through the galleries...The other problem...haven't figured that one out yet either!! lol

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 18

Tbroskoski, if I had only known that sooner. I think I have looked at almost every page in the round wedding cake section over several days. It was not easy trying to get back to where I would leave off. Good information for the future.
Thanks!

Raisen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raisen Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 12:14am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitzyFritz

Yes, tbroskoski's way works well for this - but what I have trouble with is when I search for say "apple cookies" I get only 4 pictures that come up. Then, when clicking on the "see more photos" link above those four pictures it takes you to the gallery page - not more apple cookies. Is there a way we can get more results when we search for something like this?

Thanks - and sorry if I hijacked the thread, but this has been bugging me too. icon_smile.gif

THis might not be the help your looking for....but if your searching for say...all the pic of apple cookies... click on the GALLERIES tab at the top of the home page...that will take you to the CAKE DECORATING PHOTO GALLERIES. Then click on the SEARCH tab then type in APPLE COOKIES...all the photos of 'apple cookies' should come up I think. THere may even be numerous pages of photos to look at.
I did that with the word CASTLE and a gazzilion photos show in thumbnail size instantly. I hope that helps icon_wink.gif

RitzyFritz Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 12:18am
post #9 of 18

Hmmm, well I tried this and it did the same thing as I was saying earlier. Maybe you could do the same search and see if you get the page like I do (see link below). Thanks!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?q=apple+cookies+&name=Search

Raisen Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 12:32am
post #10 of 18
Quote:

Hmmm, well I tried this and it did the same thing as I was saying earlier. Maybe you could do the same search and see if you get the page like I do (see link below). Thanks!

Oh...I've been there before. icon_smile.gif I see what your saying. But when I search it the other way this is what I get http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=apple+cookies
- I pasted the link -I hope it shows. icon_smile.gif I got 9 thumbnail photos of apple cookies. I think your using another search box- not the one that comes up AFTER you click on the galleries tab.
heres a link to where the search box tab is that I'm talking about.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos.html= it says ALBUM LIST, UPLOAD PICTURES , SEARCH thats the tab you want to click on. Try again and see if it works...

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 12:33am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbroskoski

It's not the easiest way but it works....

If you look at your address bar of your browser as you're going through the galleries you will see something like this...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&aid=8&pageID=6

Notice how it says pageID=6 ?? If you wanted to jump to page 366, you would just have to type over the number 6 so that it said pageID=366 instead. Once you've typed over the number and entered the page number you want to go to you can hit enter or click Go - whatever your browser has...

Girl... you are a genius!!!!!!!

RitzyFritz Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 12:36am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisen

Quote:

Oh...I've been there before. icon_smile.gif I see what your saying. But when I search it the other way this is what I get http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=apple+cookies
- I pasted the link -I hope it shows. icon_smile.gif I got 9 thumbnail photos of apple cookies. I think your using another search box- not the one that comes up AFTER you click on the galleries tab.
heres a link to where the search box tab is that I'm talking about.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos.html= it says ALBUM LIST, UPLOAD PICTURES , SEARCH thats the tab you want to click on. Try again and see if it works...

Well, shoot! That's what it is...I was using the search BOX on the right under the member spotlight! I didn't see the search link across the top until I clicked on your link and saw the same thing I had come up with myself. So....I started looking around the screen and that's when my eyes fell on the search link across the top.

Thanks so much. Maybe I will be less frustrated with my searching on CC now!! thumbs_up.gif

Raisen Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 12:41am
post #13 of 18

thumbs_up.gif It will be TONS easier for you!! Glad I could help icon_biggrin.gif

RitzyFritz Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 12:43am
post #14 of 18

You're not kidding!! Thanks!!

And my sincere apologies for getting off the original topic. I'm so sorry, housemouse (and everyone else).

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 12:56am
post #15 of 18

I haven't read all the posts here I'm sorry if I'm repeating something someone has already said. If you look at the link in the top bar of your page you should be able to find the page number you are on and take and click and delete just that page number and enter a new one and hit enter or go and it'll take ya there icon_wink.gif

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 8:15am
post #16 of 18

A huge thank you to TBRoskoski and Ohmygoodies and to everyone else! This will certainly help greatly!

No probs with hijacking or going off-topic - I'm keen to learn more - even if my brain isn't willing..

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 8:44am
post #17 of 18

I don't know about anyone else...but when I shop online and it gives me the option to view 20 pages as opposed to 6 pages....I would love to be able to do that. Anyone get what I'm saying? It's really early and I haven't been to sleep yet so I could sound like I'm rambling.
I'd like to be able to view more pics per page. Guess I'm impatient HA HA HA HA HA icon_lol.gif

brekka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brekka Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 9:04am
post #18 of 18

Thanks you so much, Raisen! This has been bugging me forever - now my searches will be so much easier!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%