Have I Misinterpreted Something?? Help!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 13 Jul 2007 , 6:24pm by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 12

OK! So I saw on a show one time that it was better to freeze you cake with the layer and the crumb coat before you put the fondant on! Well! Now I am doing that and I am seeing that while this cake is defrosting it is getting wet from the defrosting! Did I do this wrong?? How can I fix it?? I still have until 6 o'clock tonight to fix! But, I need help fast!

StephyG

11 replies
cakedreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedreams Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 12

I am not a fondant expert, but I don't think Fondant likes any kind of moisture. So bringing cake back to room temp before you cover it may help.

VK

step0nmi Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 12

OK! Can I keep my cake like it is and put a fan on it!??? I really didn't want to waist fondant!

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 12

Keep it like it is and put a fan on it. Be patient and it will be fine. Goodluck on your cake! thumbs_up.gif

cakedreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedreams Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 12

You can try, I know I had some cupcakes in frig one time with some cute fondant bugs on them and when I took them out and put them on table for display and eating the fondant started to run (colors) and they were all mushy? So I don't really have an answer 100%. I guess watch the fondant to see how it is acting. Is it falling apart, or melting. I dont think once this happens it will recover. Again, I am not an expert, I just know things from trying them out.

Good Luck

step0nmi Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks for the input! I DID! I put a fan on it!

fooby- I am NOT patient! That's why I was freaking out!

How long do you think it will take for it to be okay!

(good thing I started this one early!)

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

How long do you think it will take for it to be okay!

depends upon --

humidity in air

speed of fan

do you have A/C in house and ON?

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 3:18pm
post #8 of 12

i read from antonia74 that she does this all the time. yes, there is a good chance condensation will form on the fondant, but don't worry it will evaporate. just don't touch anything on it until it does evaporate. you may want to PM her for how long it usually takes hers. shes a very good baker and decorator, she can help you.

step0nmi Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 12

Well, the humidity is like 50% today...I do have and AC for the kitchen but, it doesn't help much! The fan is right on it and high!

Isn't the AC just going to make it cold again!

The problem with this cake was when I baked it it wasn't high enough. So, I had to put like an inch of frosting in the middle. (no one is going to eat it, really) So when it was all nice a baked and not frozen it seemed like it was bulging! That's why I froze it! I thought the the freezing would firm it up and then it wouldn't topple over...well, here's another problem! Guess I was wrong!

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 4:49pm
post #10 of 12

someone told that when you freeze the cake you are supposed to wrap it in clear wrap(it can be crumb coated or not, doesnt matter), BUT when you defrost it, you are supposed to take it out of the freezer but leave it in your clear wrap, untill it defrosts all the way. that way it won't make it sweat, and ruin your cake.
hope that helps, maybe.
mary

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 6:01pm
post #11 of 12

I think maybe the instruction you saw was to chill the cake before adding the fondant (in either fridge of freezer) but not to freeze it solid. It really onyl needs to be long enough to firm up the icing.

step0nmi Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 6:24pm
post #12 of 12

OH ok! I see what KoryAK and ladefly are saying! Thanks! I am going to remember that for next time!

I actually left it out and put the fan on it and it is fine now! Did take a couple hours though! I won't do THAT again!

Thanks again!
StephyG

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%