My Company Sucks - I'm Signing Off Now ...

Lounge By CakesByEllen Updated 13 Jul 2007 , 12:44am by indydebi

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 5

All,

I work for the largest telecommunications company in the world. So do you really think they care about bandwidth? Well, just to be difficult, they have announced that you WILL be fired upon being caught using company bandwidth (internet connection) for personal use. So I am no longer able to check CakeCentral. I would say that I will check from home, but by the time I get home, feed the kids, and do the housework, it's usually around midnight. So Please PM me if you need to reach me as I doubt I will be on this site very often anymore. The PM will generate an email that will catch my attention.

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Happy Cake Decorating! I will miss you guys!

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 5

What a shame .... because as I understand it, this website doesn't eat the bandwidth .... it's the videos and the sports things (used to work in an office and during the playoff season, omg, the guys were doing NOTHING but hanging in the sports sites!), the on-line poker (yes, people in my office were doing that, too!).

Checking a website? Hardly any space at all!

But unfortunately, companies have to implement an "all or nothing" so they can cover everyone.

A prime example of how the abuses of a few mess it up for the rest.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 5

I hear ya!! I'm in the same boat, in fact, my boss just today asked me to move all the desks so I can see everyone's monitors and keep them off the internet. I guess that means I'd better stay off it, too!!

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 12:39am
post #4 of 5

If it's any consolation we can't get on the internet at my office, either!

If you are caught it's grounds for immediate termination. I can kind of understand management's position - they pay you to work not play on the internet. I know people will say they only get on if it's their break or lunch hour, but unfortunately you have those that break the rules and sneak on during the work day. They ruin it for everyone else. But then again I can't recall how many posts I've seen on different sites where people will say "I'm supposed to be working right now, but I'm playing on the internet - go figure!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 12:44am
post #5 of 5

Again going back to how the few ruin it for everyone, in my previous jobs, I HAD to use the internet for research, to find customer and clients, to plan my business trips, to sign up for our trade shows, etc. etc. etc. So it's a double edged sword that no internet access diminshes the work productivity just as much as the access does.

At one job, I had the Daimler Chrysler account and i went in one morning and couldn't get into their website .... the place I had to go to get the jobs we did for them. It had been flagged as a blocked website!! Some program the IT dept had purchased had flagged the site because we were sending and receiving too many emails from their site so the program figured it was spam. IT'S HOW WE GOT OUR JOBS SCHEDULED AND OUR INCOME, YOU STUPID MORONS!!!!!!!!!!

You can bet I let our IT dept know about that one right away!! (Not that you can imagine little 'ole ME getting up in arms over anything, huh? icon_rolleyes.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%