Ugh! I Am Sick Of Making Fondant!!!

Decorating By Amy729 Updated 11 Jul 2007 , 2:36pm by leah_s

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 2:58am
post #1 of 15

O.K.
I am so tired. I have made MMF and Toba Garretts fondant and Michelle's fondant. They all feel nice until I roll them out to put on the cake and they have "too much strech".

I let them all set for 24 hrs before using.

I don't know what to do! icon_cry.gif

I really wanted to make my fondant because it is so much cheaper and tastes better but I am starting to think I will have to give up.

I have heard alot of people like satin ice. Where is the cheapest place to get it? I know shipping is high. Should I get the 20 lbs? How far does it go?

Thanks,
Amy

14 replies
LisaMaeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMaeCakes Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:07am
post #2 of 15

Hi Amy from a fellow Georgian! I'm from Byron. There is a place in Warner Robins, AJ's on Watson Blvd. Try giving them a call. (not sure how far WR is from Calhoun???)

Good luck
Lisa

Amy729 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:10am
post #3 of 15

Hi Lisa,

Calhoun in appx 60 miles north of Atl. So that is a ways away. But thanks for trying!!!

geeyanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geeyanna Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:11am
post #4 of 15

Yes Satin Ice does taste better than Wilton. I've heard the factory made fondant has ingredients in it that makes it roll better and not dry out as fast as homemade. I think it's cheaper to order it, especially if you plan on using alot. I think it's a better deal if you order in large quantities. Until you hear better, you could always do an internet search on prices.

You know, maybe it's your climate that is causing your fondant to stretch. In my climate it sometimes dries out too fast since there is very little moisture here.

Hope that helps.

krazeekaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazeekaker Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:12am
post #5 of 15

i get my satin ice from sugarcraft (www.sugarcraft.com) it usually run 19.95 or so for 5lbs. shipping will depend on how fast you want it. they're real prompt with shipping too. i usually never get any less than the 5lbs. that way i always have some on hand. it doesn't go bad if you keep it in an airtight container. as far as how far it will go that depends on how much you're going to use on the cake. i did a 12x18 spongebob cake last weekend that was completely fondant and i used about 6lbs but it had alot of detail to it.

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:12am
post #6 of 15

I've tried using MMF and I found it nice to work with. I'm about to try Michelle Foster's and Toba's this week.

What do you mean by too much stretch? Does it tear as you place it on the cake? That has happened to me with MMF.

I'de still like to try the other recipes out.

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:13am
post #7 of 15

Amy, it sounds like you haven't tried Rhonda's Ultimate MMF from this site. It is my favorite (although I haven't tried that many different recipes). If you are up for trying one more time, I highly recommend it!

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:15am
post #8 of 15

I feel your pain!!! After making MMF last night and having to clean up my mess let alone the melted marshmallows that some how ended up in my hair and then wondering if I was going to have enough to make the cake it was intended for.....I sat down and ordered MANY pounds of Satin Ice from Intotheoven. Gee, hope its good!! (I've never purchased fondant either before). From what I've seen, their prices seem to be pretty good and shipping was reasonable.

Amy729 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:15am
post #9 of 15

I really love the way Michelle Foster's tastes but it does tear when I am putting it on the cake. Almost like it is too soft. Does that make sense?
Do you think I could do something different making it?

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:23am
post #10 of 15

Well to share in your distress, I bought Satin Ice for the first time tonight!! I actually drove 45 minutes to get it and it's so worth it! I have to say that the taste is great! It smells just like the Duncan Hines Vanilla frosting, lol....which some may find too sweet, but I think is great!

Try the Satin Ice, it's worth the shot and if you can find it cheap enough, it's worth the saving on time!

I don't know how much shipping is, but here's a 20 pound bucket for $49.99

http://www.intotheoven.com/Fondant-Rolled-Fondant-20-lbs/c118_138_156/index.html?osCsid=9838ede1e1877e32fc0ca3aadc6bdd67

Amy729 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:24am
post #11 of 15

Thank you everyone for all the help. I think I will try the satin ice from into the oven. that is definately the cheapest price i have seen so far!!!

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:31am
post #12 of 15

I also purchase Satin Ice and I really like it but since I don't make so many cakes- it's a hobby right now- I just feel it's easier and cheaper to make my own.
But, I've always said that once I start doing this more often, I will definitely buy the fondant on a regular basis. I just feel the quality of the product is higher than homemade. Also, you don't see the professionals like Duff making their own.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:12am
post #13 of 15

You can also call www.satinfinefoods.com and see if there is a local dealer near you.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 5:21am
post #14 of 15

I posted Michele's recipe, and I have actually had that problem a couple of times - I think it's when it's warmer and humidity is up. I have pretty much been able to solve it with more powdered sugar. I keep some shortening on hand to keep from getting sticky! I covered cakes in red fondant and at first it was way too stretchy (partially from so much red), but I kept gradually adding the sugar and I could just tell when it was the right consistency (had some practice at it LOL).

Sometimes it seems like it takes forever to knead the perfect amount in - I can understand wanting to buy it, though I love having my fondant homemade! Use the satinice and play around with the homemade stuff in the meantime to get the hang of it, then you can have both options! Good luck and I hope it all works out well for you!

You are welcome to PM me if you would like to ask any questions! Also, Michele Foster is a member here on CC (sugarflowers), though I'm not sure she checks her messages EVERY day, but she's always good about getting back to me when I have a question.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 2:36pm
post #15 of 15

I buy direct from Satin Ice. A 20# bucket is just under $50, plus shipping. You do have to buy two. Can you split an order with anyone in your area?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%